Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
X-Files was one of Fox's first real hour-long shows and they were still in their overall infancy as a network. They were, for all intents and purposes, 4th in line.Expectations were low and the show had some ratings wiggle room. However, they managed to catch lightning in a bottle.Anderson and Duchovny had great chemistry, and frankly there was nothing like the show on any network at the time. It managed to be a ratings hit for Fox. It succeeded in the way that most things in entertainment succeed, a lot of luck to go with everything else.

That said, there's a reason it's known as the Friday Death Slot. X-files is the exception. Nothing has survived there for very long.
You mean Dollhouse right? X-files wasn't unmarketed and aired completely out of order.
No, I don't mean Dollhouse. I highlighted the relevant things that applied to X-Files and Serenity.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
X-Files was one of Fox's first real hour-long shows and they were still in their overall infancy as a network. They were, for all intents and purposes, 4th in line. Expectations were low and the show had some ratings wiggle room. However, they managed to catch lightning in a bottle. Anderson and Duchovny had great chemistry, and frankly there was nothing like the show on any network at the time. It managed to be a ratings hit for Fox. It succeeded in the way that most things in entertainment succeed, a lot of luck to go with everything else.

That said, there's a reason it's known as the Friday Death Slot. X-files is the exception. Nothing has survived there for very long.
except Kitchen Nightmares which is in their soon to be 7th season. and on cable, ghost adventures is in their 8th season

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Again, why are we arguing about if Joss Whedon is overrated?

He has little to no day-to-day involvement on this show. In fact, there are already rumors floating around Hollywood that he had to be called in to do rewrites on the early scripts, which A) doesn't bode well, B) confirms that he isn't that involved, if he had to be called in to work on the show, and C) suggests things will only get worse over time as he becomes fully committed to Ultron and unable to swing by to help.

The more relevant questions are if Jed Whedon is the man for the job, if good looking enough FX can be done cheaply enough for TV, and if anyone can succeed with the layers of Marvel, Disney, and ABC bureaucracy involved with something like this. I'm not optimistic on any of those fronts.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
you didnt qualify scripted versus unscripted. you said nothing lasts long on the friday night death slot and im just showing you thats not an entirely accurate statement.

moontayle

Golden Squire
you didnt qualify scripted versus unscripted. you said nothing lasts long on the friday night death slot and im just showing you thats not an entirely accurate statement.
I guess I should have known better where you are involved. Somehow I thought you had followed the thread of the conversation, which revolved entirely around scripted hourlong programs, specifically Firefly, and Fox's general ineptitude at letting a showbe. Someone brought up the Friday Night Death Slot and someone else brought up X-files as an exception. I was merely pointing out the fact that itwasan exception. But please, tell us more about how Kitchen Nightmares is in its 7th season.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Because a_skeleton_03 shows up to be his usual retarded troll self every time Whedon's name is mentioned. He did it at FoH too.
I want it on record because the first episode (which he wrote AND directed) was mediocre at best. I know that in two months if this show fails he will take no blame.

The guy's record is teflon despite having the most failed shows in history.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't care how his shows fair in the market. I enjoy watching them. It's like trying to tell me Kevin Smith sucks because he has a miniscule commercial success.

Firefly was good. Dollhouse could have been good if Season 1 was like Season 2. First impressions had to have had a large effect.

Not Whedon related, but I enjoyed Terriers a lot too, and that got cancelled.
frown.png
I don't hate on its creators for it being cancelled.

Edit-I just watched the pilot. It was alright. The best part was the truth serum stuff.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
despite having the most failed shows in history
Even if we limit ourselves to only people involved with shows with the word Shield in their title, you are still wrong: none of Shawn Ryan's Terriers, Chicago Code, or Last Resort made it past 13 episodes. The Beverly Hills Cop revival didn't even make it to series!

Quit while you are far, far behind.

Cybsled

How's that again?
I'd have to find the link, but a Fox Exec basically acknowledged they were afraid of "Browncoats"/Firefly Redux if they canceled Dollhouse, even though the ratings weren't any better than Terminator.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
but a Fox Exec basically acknowledged they were afraid of "Browncoats"/Firefly Redux if they canceled Dollhouse
Warning: Semi-Informed Speculation Ahead!

The overwhelming majority of TV renewal decisions boil down to if the show is doing close to the average for that network; then if it is close to bringing in syndication money; and then rarely if it is particularly expensive for the numbers it is bringing in.

But there's an even rarer class of exceptions - call it the HBO clause. Those are shows that may have good DVD sales that trump the above rules.
The problem with decisions on these shows is that the DVD sales don't happen until long after the season is over, and if you wait to renew the TV show until you see those DVD numbers, all the people involved in the show will have moved onto other things. So this category of shows basically have to always be renewed a year ahead of time. (You'll frequently see HBO shows renewed for another season after the first week of numbers come in - because, again, the real decision doesn't come in until they see the DVD sales, and they have to renew the TV show a year ahead of the DVD sales.)

Fox thought Dollhouse would be one of those high-DVD sales shows (because of how many copies of Firefly they sold). This is the real reason Epitaph One didn't air on TV - they were trying to goose the DVD sales. Once Fox saw how mediocre those Dollhouse DVD sales were, the show had no future hopes and they killed it as cheaply as they could (by removing it from November sweeps and double airing it in December).

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So my hopes for the series was a televised version ofPowers(which was supposed to happen before=/), more street level. After 1 episode I have adjusted my expectations, it is now Castle where all Castle's crazy theories are true.

I'm OK with this, Coulsen is a good Castle stand in. It's not what I wanted, but if they improve like most quality shows do throughout the first season it will be very watchable.

I just checked, Castle is the only network drama I DVR, it's all cable. I never got in to Parenthood, should try and binge it some time. So if this show keeps me hooked it will be 2 total.

edit: Supposedly the Powers TV show is still possible after massive retooling. And it's supposed to be on FX so...COME ON DAMN IT! Happen!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hopefully we'll get cameos from Dr Horrible and Captain Hammer at some point.
maybe we'll have more serenity ppl, i didn't watch dollhouse, but i heard summer glau was in a few episodes and she did a better black widow in serenity than scarlett johanson ever could do besides being born with the genetic lottery of pretty face/great body/redhead.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'd have to find the link, but a Fox Exec basically acknowledged they were afraid of "Browncoats"/Firefly Redux if they canceled Dollhouse, even though the ratings weren't any better than Terminator.
Why does mean that Dollhouse killed Sarah Conner? Was it one or the other?