Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Column_sl

shitlord
Skye is 30+? wtf

And women are highly emotional beings, you applying logic to them makes me giggle.

Also get the ARROW SHIT OUT OF THIS THREAD!
You have your own god damn thread for that Dawson Creek show ,now use it.

fucker_sl

shitlord
in these kind of shows i find it hard for my suspention of disbelief to picture these characters as their actors' age. i tend to consider all of them at least 25/30+ because that's how they act. Skye actress is 21, but i find it hard to believe a supersecret agency would recruit kids

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
i mean that felicity's character has depth because she has skills and an education that can provide her with a high paying job. sky was a bum living out of a van taught how to hack by her fuckbuddy. basically what im saying is felicity is not only hotter but she has a stronger character, much more self reliant than skye. im not saying that skye is lame because she is unemployed, more that she is lame because she is unemployable.
I still don't get your point. They are characters in a TV show. Who cares if one is employable or not? Here, let me illustrate:
i mean that grant's character has depth because he has skills and an education that can provide him with a high paying job. oliver queen was a rich kid living out of a mansion taught how to fight by his island bro-buddy. basically what im saying is grant is not only yummier but he has a stronger character, much more self reliant than oliver. im not saying that oliver is lame because he inherited his position, more that he is lame because he is unemployable.
While I know you can quibble with a few of the specifics I had to shoehorn in to make your sentences fit mine, but in general I hope you understand when I say that I have absolutely no idea WHY you are even arguing what you are. Is there some competition between Felicity and Skye that I'm unaware of? I mean, besides which one we'd all like to have sex with first (because just about all of us would take either if given the chance and not complain).

I just don't get why you're even arguing for one character over another on the basis of...employability?? Am I the only one taking crazy pills here?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Wait, Dawson's Creek had people getting killed with arrows and shit every episode? Maybe it's time to fire that shit up!

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Wait, is Arrow as awesome as Dawson's Creek was? I mean 1st season Dawson's Creek, not 5th/6th season.
I may have to give it a chance if so.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I still don't get your point. They are characters in a TV show. Who cares if one is employable or not? Here, let me illustrate:
While I know you can quibble with a few of the specifics I had to shoehorn in to make your sentences fit mine, but in general I hope you understand when I say that I have absolutely no idea WHY you are even arguing what you are. Is there some competition between Felicity and Skye that I'm unaware of? I mean, besides which one we'd all like to have sex with first (because just about all of us would take either if given the chance and not complain).

I just don't get why you're even arguing for one character over another on the basis of...employability?? Am I the only one taking crazy pills here?
its just me i guess, i coulda sworn we were having a discussion this past week on who is hotter as well as a better character. regardless, if a lil show on the CW can kick the ass of a big budget network show in every way, thats some good shit.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Aside from the bland characters, I think the biggest problem is that it's barely set in the Marvel Universe.

I think they are afraid to touch any of the marvel properties..either villains or heroes because they might want to use them in the Marvel Movie Universe.

What makes Arrow so great is it's constant use of DC characters. Almost all the shows main characters, and minor characters are actually based on characters in the DC Universe. Tons of the guest stars and one shot villains are based on DC characters again.

SHIELD needs to start tapping on the Marvel Universe characters, either minor villains, minor heroes, organizations like HYRDRA, AIM, The Hand etc...

I feel they are keeping all of those for the Movies though. They are afraid that one day SHIELD and the movies will contradict each other...so SHIELD is mostly staying away from anything that could remotely be used in the movies, and it loses what could actually make the show great and different than anything else on TV.

They should have a Marvel TV Universe, and a Marvel Movie Universe and keep them separate. Would give SHIELD much more freedom.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Skye is 30+? wtf

And women are highly emotional beings, you applying logic to them makes me giggle.

how about no? we can discuss other comic book tv shows to compare with others. just because your show is lacking in those comparisons it isnt our problem. oh and as for dawson's creek, you need to check yourself. Arrow is no dawson's creek

Column_sl

shitlord
Obviously we are the hot show if you are so adamant to stay here
cool.png

Szlia

Since most shows I am watching ended their season or have yet to start it, I looked for something to watch and remember Arrow being mentioned in this thread.... It's shocking how bad the writing of that show is at just about every level: lines, characters, plot... And I watched Dexter until the bitter end! Astro-Chuk citing Felicity (hacker chick) as a character with depth is a serious joke. It's a character of pure eye candy + comic relief + plot artifice that has zero interaction with other characters past her function and zero back story (at least up until S01E21). The character is still enjoyable though because the actress manages somehow to do something with the lame stuff she is given by the writers. As president of the World Wide Willa Holland Fan Club I'll still go through the season, but, for all its flows, Agents of SHIELD is a billion times better.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It's shocking how bad the writing of [Arrow] is at just about every level: lines, characters, plot
Yea, I barely got past episode two. I can watch SHIELD, though I wish it was better. Arrow is well below my tolerance level.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Since most shows I am watching ended their season or have yet to start it, I looked for something to watch and remember Arrow being mentioned in this thread.... It's shocking how bad the writing of that show is at just about every level: lines, characters, plot... And I watched Dexter until the bitter end! Astro-Chuk citing Felicity (hacker chick) as a character with depth is a serious joke. It's a character of pure eye candy + comic relief + plot artifice that has zero interaction with other characters past her function and zero back story (at least up until S01E21). The character is still enjoyable though because the actress manages somehow to do something with the lame stuff she is given by the writers. As president of the World Wide Willa Holland Fan Club I'll still go through the season, but, for all its flows, Agents of SHIELD is a billion times better.
More depth than skye warbucks

Szlia

It's a little unfair since Skye is a main character while Felicity is a supporting character but: Skye has an identification function (just like the viewer, she discovers the inner workings of SHIELD) and a plot function (hacker). The plot function is doubly motivated (hacktivism + personal quest) and doubly anchored (mentor/boyfriend + disappearance of the parents). Her motivations lead her into a double agent role, role that allows the character to fulfill its identification function. Also note that the two anchors have resonance in the present (Coulson & May as substitute parents + Ward as mentor/love interest). Compare this to Felicity whose plot function is answering just about any question in 2 seconds flat because the writers are lazy and whose motivation is that she kinda likes her boss and tell me again where the depth is. And that's with 5 episodes of Agents of SHIELD vs 22 of Arrow.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Anyone watching these shows and thinking about stuff like "motivation" and "functions" is doing it wrong. Both Arrow and Agents of SHIELD are practically the definition of mindless American entertainment. They're hardly different from the other 90% of programming on the 4 major networks. Just turn off your brain and enjoy the silly fun, or stick to HBO/Showtime.

Szlia

I don't think about this when I watch the show, but when asked to compare two characters in two shows, it's only natural to get a little analytical.