Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
same here, which is why i got so angry over this episode even though it really wasnt so terrible, i just wanted to see more badass vikings stuff.

Szlia

I remember that a lightsaber from Star Wars was translated into a "light" (as in weight) sabre when I watched in the movies. Or translating names, like LOTRs "The Shire" getting translated to "Lommelun" something that would re-translate to English more like "pocket lint". So I am not just against Hollywood doing that, but just the general half assedness that the movie industry puts on languages.
In the translators' defense, subtitles are sometimes done without seeing the movie (which is retarded, but that's not the translator's fault!). In your Star Wars example though, it could have been fixed at some point! For the LOTR movie, the translator has another problem: the books have been translated. So what do you do? Try to stay close to english or use the names that are familiar to the people who read the books in norwegian?

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They need to start bringing in actual heroes soon. It almost feels like I am watching a show about a group of people roleplaying in a world of super heroes, as opposed to actually being in a world of super heroes. I was afraid that the show just could not be epic enough and it seems after this many episodes that my fears were justified. Seriously, they could not get some of the actors from the movies to do a 5 minute cameo spot? Again it would be like watching Stargate and instead of following SG-1 through the stargate, you stay on the base and see what the regular people do to maintain the stargate.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They got coulson from the movies and jackson made that cameo bitching about the cost of repairing the plane, but yeah this show should be called agents of Marvel references.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I'd like them to speak their native language more though. Shows like Spartacus (lol starz) have slaves from all corners of the roman empire speaking the same language. I'm willing to accept for the sake of convenience they all speak english for the primary american audience rather than latin, but they wouldn't all speak latin either.
The slaves in spartacus speak whatever the romans speak, or they get the shit kicked out of them until they do ;p IIRC the barbarian guys all spoke german to start with.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
There should be negligible contact between the romans and the germans at this point as the germans hadn't migrated to the roman borders yet. And Assyrians, Numidians, Gauls, and Thracians wouldn't remotely speak germanic.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
rrr_img_49998.jpg

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Assyrians, Numidians, Gauls, and Thracians
holy shit, these were real ppl? i thought they were just tv made up cuz i never heard of a Gaul, maybe i saw thracian in something...

but still on subtitles, look at the time slot and network AOS is on, it's for kids as well, american kids can't read! i mean... watching this show i'm starting to think they're making it for the lowest common denominator, i mean Agent Jock even had his shirt off, and the girls at tv night weren't even impressed. (we sometimes watch arrow, ugh, but way more shirts off there that the girls like)

Skylancer81

Molten Core Raider
I enjoyed the episode as well.

Looks like they took The Forgotten One story I had read about earlier this year and shoe horned it into this Asgardian Berserker. Maybe we will still get to see the Forgotten One leading up to Guardians of the Galaxy. Or they may push it off till next year. Either way I really hope they follow though about introducing him in the show before he is seen in any of the movies. Granted he is no where near a main stream Super Hero anymore, but he did well in the Eternals and was an Avenger for a good run.

velk

Trakanon Raider
There should be negligible contact between the romans and the germans at this point as the germans hadn't migrated to the roman borders yet. And Assyrians, Numidians, Gauls, and Thracians wouldn't remotely speak germanic.
I think I didn't make my point clearly, I meant that the barbarian characters on the show spoke german on the show when they were first introduced, i.e. that all of them speaking english was not actually true to begin with.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I really enjoyed this episode and I am surprised to see so much dislike for it here. I thought they did a fantastic job of tying the show to the events of the recent Thor movie, even going so far as to start the episode in Greenwich. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole opening scene where they're sifting through the rubble to find alien items. I even laughed out loud at the "God of cleaning up" line. It was also nice to finally get some background on Ward; he seems like more of a person now and less of a cardboard cut-out.

Regarding languages and subtitles, I think this is one of those things you just have to ignore when watching TV. I remember in one of the later episodes of Stargate: SG-1, one of the characters makes a comment about how all of the hundreds of planets they visit look oddly similar to British Columbia, Canada (where the show is filmed). There are some things that you just have to accept as silly or nonsensical in order to enjoy the shows.

Goatface

Thor tie-in buzz did bump the ratings up a tad
rrr_img_50025.jpg

also when talking about Cap2
"Nick Fury [Samuel L. Jackson] is in that one, and S.H.I.E.L.D. makes an appearance, so we will definitely try to tee-up some stuff and probably play a little bit of the fallout from that film," Whedon says. "We're hoping to do some cool stuff."

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I AM INCENSED AT THIS SHOW NOW.

Thanks, ABC, Marvel and Disney for once again enforcing your misguided, ignorant, and limited view of the world according to "normal" people. It did not go unnoticed the sharp difference between young, insecure, and healthy Ward vs. his confident, adult and skinny self. Once again we have an example of just how far the media will go to enforce their ideal image while belittling and demonizing those of us who have a healthy weight and a completely normal GLANDULAR PROBLEM that prevents us from living of to their unreal expectation of body image. I had to explain to my child that Ward wasn't a coward because he was "considered" overweight, but because some piece of crap(I used a worse word with my child) writer decided to impose his limited viewpoint on the entire country. When oh when is some network going to be brave enough to show a healthy, normal, successful action hero instead of these constant completely toned bordering on ANEMIC super heroes who are probably rife with body image issues in real life.

TL;DR Thin privilege is being able to sit down and watch a prime time television show without feeling like your family is being attacked and crying yourself to sleep.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I AM INCENSED AT THIS SHOW NOW.

Thanks, ABC, Marvel and Disney for once again enforcing your misguided, ignorant, and limited view of the world according to "normal" people. It did not go unnoticed the sharp difference between young, insecure, and healthy Ward vs. his confident, adult and skinny self. Once again we have an example of just how far the media will go to enforce their ideal image while belittling and demonizing those of us who have a healthy weight and a completely normal GLANDULAR PROBLEM that prevents us from living of to their unreal expectation of body image. I had to explain to my child that Ward wasn't a coward because he was "considered" overweight, but because some piece of crap(I used a worse word with my child) writer decided to impose his limited viewpoint on the entire country. When oh when is some network going to be brave enough to show a healthy, normal, successful action hero instead of these constant completely toned bordering on ANEMIC super heroes who are probably rife with body image issues in real life.

TL;DR Thin privilege is being able to sit down and watch a prime time television show without feeling like your family is being attacked and crying yourself to sleep.
Excellent! Now all I need is a tranny dick on the same page.

Seriously, I was laughing the entire time I read that.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I expect them to like, do SHIELD stuff and figure out how the accident occurred, how to reverse it, etc. Not some Sixth Sense bullshit.