Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Regarding the cell phone battery, she said Fitz modified to last a long time at some point. That plus I assume she just shuts the phone down whenever she is not using it. I really doubt it stayed on the 6 months.
The point made earlier was that if Fitz could modify a cell phone battery to last for that long, he's in the wrong business and should be making bank selling batteries.

It's a stupid argument though. This is the same universe as Iron Man, the Hulk, and Thanos. I'm just picking on this episode because there were a lot of points where you have to suspend your disbelief. It's all to move the story forward and explain why she's acting like she does after she escapes, so I get it -- it just doesn't change the fact that it's a little annoying.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
someone explain planets to me, that planet never gets any sunlight? (which is why solar power is worthless) but don't all planets rotate around the sun and eventually they'll be hit with sunlight no matter what? also while maybe they were on the "dark side" for a bit, he's been presumably in the same spot for 14 years, so i'd guess he'd make a full rotation around the sun or something.

i mean is there a planet that exists that is just black and barren cuz its so far away from the sun?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The planet actually got a minute or so of sun at the end when he tossed the gun away, so it isn't too far away. My guess would be that the huge planet nearby has a similar orbit time and thus is between this planet and the sun most of the time. Or, somehow this planet is locked in orbit with the sun like our moon is to earth, so the same side always faces it, and they are just on the dark side (with apparently a very short break where it shifts a little or some shit). Or, a super advanced race of wizards did it.

lordvanduu_sl

shitlord
I think one of them said a short line at about the time they were getting ready to see the sun that they were probably on one of the poles. I'm pretty sure that's what I heard at least. So that should have something to do with the long period of time without sunlight I guess. I could be remembering it wrong though.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
They said the sun appears for a few minutes every 14 years. That's why they went out to that area and had the wine (that was actually vinegar).

Technically, they said "This only happens every 14 years.", but we learned that it was the sun appearing.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Over the first two seasons they've shown Gemma with above average medical skills. If I remember correctly it was her that stabilized Daisy when she was shot in season one.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
They said the sun appears for a few minutes every 14 years. That's why they went out to that area and had the wine (that was actually vinegar).

Technically, they said "This only happens every 14 years.", but we learned that it was the sun appearing.
She did say 18 years, and yeah Gemma does a lot of hands on medical stuff. She needs to with all the show protagonist being almost killed every week. There is no doc

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The point made earlier was that if Fitz could modify a cell phone battery to last for that long, he's in the wrong business and should be making bank selling batteries.
There is a million things that he's developed in SHIELD labs that would be moneymakers in the real world, but that's really besides the point.

A cell phone battery that lasts 6 months while powered off is not really as impressive as it's being made out to be.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
The whole 'no sunlight' thing was the most believable of anything in that episode. Alaska gets something like a full month of darkness every year, and then during the rest of the year the sun just kind of glides along the horizon, and that's on OUR planet. It's totally conceivable to have a planet, especially the poles, be dark for years at a time. Or, it could be the moon of another planet (or vice versa) and they were on the dark side/it's always blocked by the other planet there.

The cell phone battery was a LITTLE bit ridiculous. Especially since she's watching videos on it every few days. A month? Two? sure, that's within the realm of belief that Fitz engineered it to last. 6 months was pushing it a bit much. But, whatever, I could have lived with that as well as a kind of 'lolz comics!' moment, but as others said, it was just the culmination of a bunch of similarly outlandish things that kind of wears on you.

Poor Fitz, the look on his face when he realizes she fell in love with the guy. Fucking live or death situations man..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well yea it's all about suspension of disbelief, like how fucking grubs just grow outta the rocks. or how a middle aged guy who hasn't only had human contact in 14 years, but a hot 20 something just falls in his lap doesn't immediately Tarzan her. Or ok, maybe the planet already tricked him w/ a previous hot young girl years ago, thats why he caged Gemma for a while to make sure. Even then after a month, no Tarzan? or 3 months? she had to be the one to initiate it and make it ok?

Szlia

About the bamboo, while not said, I think it's reasonable to assume it has been brought there by the NASA people. If you don't care about ecosystem purity, bringing bamboo sounds like a good plan as it grows very quickly and provides some material that can be used very efficiently for a number of things.

EDIT: For plot reasons, having the NASA guy rape Jemma would be a problem, unless you want to add some creepy Stockholm syndrome stuff in there.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Perhaps Fitz had a chat with Tony Stark or took a look at his schematics and created a super cell phone battery. I love this suspension of disbelief conversation in a thread about super heroes and alien worlds.
tongue.png

Szlia

That's really what suspension of disbelief is about though. How believable, how internally coherent, is the fictional world that is presented to us. So it's not because there are people with super powers that it's A-Ok to have anything and everything happen in this fictional world.

Kaou

Molten Core Raider
a hot 20 something just falls in his lap doesn't immediately Tarzan her. Or ok, maybe the planet already tricked him w/ a previous hot young girl years ago, thats why he caged Gemma for a while to make sure. Even then after a month, no Tarzan? or 3 months? she had to be the one to initiate it and make it ok?
She went Tarzan on him! cause really, how can she resist that slow passive aggressive way that he talks, its mesmerizing!

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
someone explain planets to me, that planet never gets any sunlight? (which is why solar power is worthless) but don't all planets rotate around the sun and eventually they'll be hit with sunlight no matter what? also while maybe they were on the "dark side" for a bit, he's been presumably in the same spot for 14 years, so i'd guess he'd make a full rotation around the sun or something.

i mean is there a planet that exists that is just black and barren cuz its so far away from the sun?
To me it seems like a moon to that big planet in the background. I was thinking it gets so little sunlight because it's slow rotation or tidally locked so one side never faces the star for a good chunk of the episode.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The important info I gathered from that is that Dr. Simmons has a problem with her menstruations...
Funny, i thought the same thing. But I guess it's not impossible that her body stopped her cycles because of the extreme stress. Plus, don't forget she did run into one of those sandstorms early on. IT just didn't show up. Why?

The planet actually got a minute or so of sun at the end when he tossed the gun away, so it isn't too far away. My guess would be that the huge planet nearby has a similar orbit time and thus is between this planet and the sun most of the time. Or, somehow this planet is locked in orbit with the sun like our moon is to earth, so the same side always faces it, and they are just on the dark side (with apparently a very short break where it shifts a little or some shit). Or, a super advanced race of wizards did it.
Just the same, it's no reason why solar panels wouldn't work at all. There is light available. Also, I don't see why the light coming from the core wouldn't work on a solar panel.

From the way they described the movement of the wormholes, either that planet is at the center of the universe, or the portal will sometimes open in space.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
To me it seems like a moon to that big planet in the background. I was thinking it gets so little sunlight because it's slow rotation or tidally locked so one side never faces the star for a good chunk of the episode.
Hell until they actually showed the sun, my assumption was that it was a deep space planetary system that orbited each other instead of orbiting a star. With the essentially infinite size of the galaxy, I'm sure something like that exists or has existed somewhere.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
so the whole thing about inhumans being afraid of this rock cuz it was a kree death weapon to take out inhumans is unfounded. inhumans basically found the rock and the moon pattern on the other side opened it up and swallowed inhumans randomly. maybe then they just locked up a few humans near the rock and since they weren't swallowed (cuz the rock just was not aligned on the other side), they just thought, "whelp, it fucks up inhumans"

then somehow rock is gone and some old ass english men found the rock and somehow were boss enough to figure out a way to force it open with sound/harmonics and shit. (which no one has been able to figure out since, with our super advanced tech)

then we know it was at least in NASA's possession at 2001, they send 4 ppl and a shit load of worthless solar gear, then just stopped.

then somehow SHIELD has it aboard the Illiad, and Fury saw it dangerous enough to blow it up, but through super democracy - Mockingbird, mack, xena and Adama decided "naw"