Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
huh? Where did you hear that?
The reason they don't cross over more is simple logistics, that's all. They plan out the movies YEARS in advance, the TV show could have gotten cancelled any season. It was basically going to be cancelled last season, but Disney stepped in and demanded it stay on another season. If they don't do that again, then this is the last season and the writers are trying to wrap things up in case that happens, while leaving an opening for another season if they get renewed. The show is more agile in terms of story writing, the movies are not. Two years ago, the writers hadn't written any of the episodes we are seeing now, but the next 4 marvel movies had their overall story outlined years ago. Getting those two to line up and synchronize is a monumental task for very little benefit.

When they had AoS and Winter Soldier line up, that took tons of planning, and nothing in the show effected the movie really. It caused a, what was it, 2-4 weeks?.. break for AoS so the episodes would line up before and after the movie? That's also why Coulson hasn't shown up in any movies, despite it making sense for him to contact Stark or someone and be like 'o hai, i'm alive btw'. I'm guessing they are waiting for AoS to be done before he shows back up in any movies, possibly he's heavily involved in the next phase assuming the actor is interested in playing the same character for another 5+ years. That's a problem they are running into with their current lineup, many of the actor's contracts are done/nearing their end and they either want too much money or just don't want to keep playing the same role for another 5+ years. Instead of Steve Rogers/Tony Stark, we'll have Bucky/Warmachine. Maybe Samuel Jackson is in that boat, who knows? If so, Coulson could become the new version of Fury for whatever version of SHIELD emerges from the ashes. This is all post infinity war, of course, where they've been very tight lipped about what happens.

My guess is, we're getting a version of Secret Invasion, and Fury/Coulson will be hiding away putting together the version of 'Secret Warriors/Commandos' from that story. That is potentially related to where AoS seems to be going, too. They've said the title of the next Avengers film is a big hint to the storyline. The biggest non-infinity war event of the last few decades that I can think of, that involved most of the marvel universe, was Secret Invasion. I mean, you have things like Phoenix Saga, House of M (neither of which they would have had the necessary rights to do until a few months ago), etc.. but none of them fit as well. Maybe something like Annihilation if they wanna continue down the cosmic route? Secret Wars is a bigger event, historically, but that doesn't make for a very good story in the more realistic setting of the MCU. Bunch of heroes and villains thrown into Battleworld by the Beyonder? Action packed, but not much plot there.
also, timelines dont match anymore.

like, Agents of shield basically has progressed in real time, season after season. its been 5years for them.
the MOVIES however do not. they only progress in the movies more or less. I dont think years have been mentioned, but its probably still 2014 or so in the movies. I bet in movie timeline, 6 years have not passed since Avengers. Or, 10 from ironman...

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Vycron

Derives Perverse Pleasure
<Gold Donor>
In Ragnarok(2017) didn't Thor tell Banner that he has been missing for two years? Last time the Hulk appeared was Age of Ultron (2015) But I hear ya, it's probably just like comic book time where it's best left vague and just go with whatever the hell works best for the story they are trying to tell at the moment.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Yea, time is progressing in the movies, pretty close to real time I think too. It's just some of the movies take place before/after others, despite the order they came out. Dr Strange likely happened before Avengers 2, maybe before Ironman. The recent Spiderman movie happened before/during Civil War.
They obviously don't want to get too detailed and then get called out for a mistake in the timeline, but the Chitauri Invasion and then the Sokovia accords have been major events, years apart from each other.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
The recent spiderman took place after civil war, he was doing a video diary in the beginning talking about it plus giving him the suit to keep after...

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, the first scene in that movie is him doing a video diary about civil war and then it continues on after that? There were no scenes of him before he got the suit from Stark?

The whole movie started before Civil War, had scenes from his appearance in Civil War, and then ended shortly after the events of Civil War. Time passed from the start of the movie to the end and it acknowledged time passing in the overall MCU.

Xenrauk

Trakanon Raider
He gets recruited during civil war by stark who's sporting the full black eye from the fight with bucky.
Is given the new suit when he's in germany right before the airport fight.
Tony's black eye is full on for the airport fight as well as the final fight with cap in the end.
Spiderman homecoming he shows the video diary in the beginning which shows how he got the suit from happy in germany.
Diary then shows when he's in ny with stark, stark's black eye is mostly gone, he gives him the suit to keep.
For the rest of the movie the black eye is gone.

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
yes.. civil war happened in between the scenes of spiderman, that's exactly my point, but it wasn't already going on when the movie started. The first scenes of Spiderman are right after Avengers 1, cleaning up the chitauri invasion of NYC. By the time the movie is over, Civil War has also finished. The beginning of spiderman is years before, the end is shortly after.
The whole discussion was that time isn't progressing in the MCU, and it quite clearly is.

Cybsled

Ya, that got a good laugh out of me.

Also the "We should hyphenate our name" "Simmons-Fitz really rolls off the tongue".

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Just caught up on this episode, those lines were both great. Even knowing it was coming, the 'can't touch this' line got a chuckle out of me.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kaou

Molten Core Raider
psycho-fitz is best fitz! Creepy af episode though.... pulling wires outta quake's brain lol

Cybsled

I liked Simmons realized who Deke was, then vomiting. I'm guessing the vomit was due to morning sickness.

• 1Like

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I've been enjoying this season so far. I wasn't sure I'd like it with the time travel but it's been a good story so far. I liked evil Fitz and the reveal it wasn't an anomaly.

Ladro

Anomaly
Yeah, this last episode was pretty good, still not sure how they're going to wrap it up in the remaining episodes though. I'm hopeful for some sort of Avenger's tie in, but not holding my breath.

The Hydra reveal at the end was interesting, so basically we're back to square one big bad?

Doesn't Yoyo have robot arms in the comic?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
So, i'm fine with the Deke thing.. but, did his mom never mention her parents frickin NAMES?! Her whole life she just referred to them as 'mom and dad', not once did she say their names?

Cybsled

They mentioned that they changed their names in the future to avoid detection. He probably only knew them by their fake names

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So Coulson is going to be in Captain Marvel. So at least Clark Gregg is still getting MCU jobs.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So Coulson is going to be in Captain Marvel. So at least Clark Gregg is still getting MCU jobs.

As much as I don't want to think it, this casting makes me think the "Coulson wakes up, and was on the operating table the whole time" bit might actually be their play.