Marvel's Avengers

spronk

FPS noob
So game is good actually? Have a gift card I can burn but then thinking about either PS Pro or PC. Guessing PC :)

PS4 has a bunch of exclusives including

- Spiderman the character will be exclusive to PSN
- many cosmetic skins will be 30 day exclusive to PSN
- exclusive PSN only community challenges
- exclusive PS+ bundle for each new Super Hero

To me that makes it a no brainer, its like Call of Duty or Destiny 1 where there was just enough extra stuff on PS4 to make it worth it. I'm hoping to get the game free through verizon rewards though, the beta was ok enough that I wouldn't mind playing but I wouldn't want to pay $60

Argarth

On the verandah
You of all people shouldn't even consider supporting this shit. It's everything wrong with the GaaS business model ($60-80 game, ridiculous MTX, Fortnite-style battlepass garbage for every hero, PS-exclusive Spider-man, and on PC it's an online game that still has Denuvo crammed into it) wrapped up in one package.

The Denuvo shit is disappointing, but you are a bit off base re the MTX. Sure the "exclusives" might offend some (personally don't care, but I'm not a Spidey fan). Not a single dime needs to be spent after the game purchase, UNLESS you want cosmetics, even if you never complete a single Challenge card. It's really poorly explained, and I misunderstood it at first as well.

Argarth

On the verandah
Just had a thought. Perhaps it's the Denuvo crap that's causing problems with RTSS and ReShade. (and almost certainly affecting the frame rate)

Tried the Steam FPS Overlay too, but that also crashes the NV Driver when Alt-Tabbing. Win10 Game Bar does work though. Alt tabbing like a madman and no more Driver crashes.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea, I would say the MTX stuff is being overblown simply because 1) its there, and 2) you can buy them with money if you want them faster, if at all.

I value a polished game highly, this game lacks a level of polish that I think it really needs. I believe Destiny 1 was a better game at release, but this game is better than say, Anthem. =)

Fun campaign, last mission chain gets pretty wild, my advice would be to get comfy with every character prior to starting it.

Edit: Finishing the campaign opens a lot of stuff to do.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Ok so if Denuvo that's a hard no then on PC which sucks :(

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If image quality matters to you, then wait til ps5, if you end up getting one. Game looks really bad at at times on a Pro even in "4K". Maybe it just my monitor, but I doubt it.

• 1Like

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Denuvo shit is disappointing, but you are a bit off base re the MTX. Sure the "exclusives" might offend some (personally don't care, but I'm not a Spidey fan). Not a single dime needs to be spent after the game purchase, UNLESS you want cosmetics, even if you never complete a single Challenge card. It's really poorly explained, and I misunderstood it at first as well.
I'm at the point now where I find any MTX in a $60+ game to be unacceptable, and I'm sick of the 'oh, it's just cosmetic' excuse too. I could maybe ignore it if they actually were "micro" and not up to 25% of the cost of the fucking game for one costume, but they are as overpriced as MTX were in Marvel Heroes--and that shit was crazy even for a F2P game.

Piling on a battlepass for each new hero added just makes it even more insane, and from what I've read they are coming at a much quicker pace than the usual ~3 month cycle seen in other GaaS.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm at the point now where I find any MTX in a $60+ game to be unacceptable, and I'm sick of the 'oh, it's just cosmetic' excuse too. I could maybe ignore it if they actually were "micro" and not up to 25% of the cost of the fucking game for one costume, but they are as overpriced as MTX were in Marvel Heroes--and that shit was crazy even for a F2P game.

Piling on a battlepass for each new hero added just makes it even more insane, and from what I've read they are coming at a much quicker pace than the usual ~3 month cycle seen in other GaaS.
Aww come on, you don't want to beat up bad guys and be a super hero?

(Just pre-ordered regular version from Amazon for delivery on Friday)

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I realize they're completely different styles of game, but how does this compare to Ultimate Alliance 3 for fun mindless superhero action? I'm actually a pretty big fan of UA3 and still play it with friends online occasionally.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Okay so I haven't looked at this game at all, and only watched 5 minutes of stream. What kind of game is this exactly? What exactly is the multiplayer?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Okay so I haven't looked at this game at all, and only watched 5 minutes of stream. What kind of game is this exactly? What exactly is the multiplayer?
From what I can tell, you just beat up random nameless robots over and over and over and over.

And for some reason despite being say, a god, the robots are bullet sponges.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For those who have finished the Story and are progressing through the Campaign, do you happen to have this mission chain up... or have you finished it?

GearVendor.jpg

Which vendor does it want me to access, and where? I've talked to the Shield vendor on the Chimera, and I've talked to the only gear vendor I know of at the Ant Hill (Cho). I think there is an Anthill vendor on the Chimera, but I've not found it.

Edit: meh, it was the normal gear vendor at the Ant Hill.

Last edited:

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The anthill vendor on the Chimera is just the Roy guy who is next to the cosmetic vendor in the Commons area

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well just finished the story and overall it was great, not really anything to complain about for the campaign.

The final part was awesome and as someone else mentioned be familiar with all the characters they all get their moment to shine.

There’s still a lot for me to do as I’ve skip pretty much everything beside the campaign. Iconic missions for each characters, and all the other stuff.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My opinion of the game is like a damn yo yo; good / bad / good / bad, etc.

The Global Initiative mission chain is pretty solid so far.

CD kinda shop themselves in the foot by having AIM be the only villain for a GaaS like this, and especially with only having 2 bosses (so far that I've seen).

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So problem with the cosmetic scheme is that most of the costumes I'd want (Makeshift Ironman, Weapon-X Cap, Hello my name is Blake Thor) are ones you get just doing the playthrough.

Argarth

On the verandah

If you disagree with Cash Shops in $$Retail Box games on principle, then fair enough. Not trying to change your mind.

But really, whether they're called "micro" or "macro" or whatever transactions, how can it possibly matter if there's absolutely no effect on the game-play, not even a "convenience" or time-saving benefit like say Path of Exile. Anybody whose says you can play PoE without stash tabs can fuck right off, fucking casuals. (and holy overpriced dress-up) =P

Take Marvel Heroes for example. Inventory space was needed in that game, and you could even grind Eternity Splinters for it, unlike PoE. I didn't though, I paid, and used my Splinters to buy Heroes and Team-Ups. I also bought costumes, and happily gave Gaz all this extra money to support the game I loved. If MH or even PoE had a $60 box price, so what?

These games (call it GaaS or whatever, just another buzzword) still have to keep making money, and in the case of MH I would have still given them a similar total amount over the 4 years I played the game. (They had much shadier practices of course with the cash-shop gambling, but I didn't participate in that.)

WoW has multiple retail boxes, a monthly sub, and a Cash Shop. So what? Either buy that shit or don't, zero impact on the gameplay.

Re: the Avengers "Battlepass". Another buzzword, and "Wardrobe Key" would be more accurate. Even the Credits you earn after unlocking the Cosmetic Tiers just give access to more cosmetics, nothing else. The Level Skips just give faster access to more cosmetics, nothing else. The game already gives you plenty of cosmetics for free, just by playing.

Regarding the Hero release schedule, the faster the better please... MH had ~60 when it shut down, so they have a lot of catching up to do. Given all of that, I'd go as far as to say this game has the cleanest and most ethical MT model I've seen. The marketing department just did a piss-poor job of selling it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
like it or not, we are in a different gaming era than what most of us grew up in. you bought a game for $50 and that was that. if the game was bugged, well, that sucks. if we were lucky we'd get a consolation patch 4 months later that fixed some problems, maybe.

now we are in an era where multiplayer is such a huge thing... someone's gotta pay for those servers. someone's gotta pay those IT guys to sit and maintain those servers. i'm not advocating for MTX, but i understand how it can give a game some longevity. with a game like this where they are actively working on new heroes and all that entails (animators, artists, voice actors) the option for spend money if they want can keep solid quality for a while to come.

take swtor for example. the devs spent a TON of time creating the 1-50 base game with all that voice acting and all those individual stories. then when it didn't do as well as they hoped, they lost the money to keep that quality up (voice acting and story telling specifically) and we lost individual class stories because of it. the first couple expacs after that were pretty trash, but because the cash shop started raking in some money due to the artists and such, they were able to make that amazing knights of the fallen empire expac.

again, i'm NOT advocating that every game have MTX, but it's a straightfoward way to continue production on games post launch

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished story mode and I thought that was really well done. I'm looking forward to the next chapter after those end credit scenes. They really have something to build off here and I'm hoping they can pull it off.

Also I think they left beta xp and loot on because I'm leveling at the same speed as beta and getting tons of loot. Get it while you can.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I’m liking this too. I’m surprised it can get a little tough sometimes even on normal if you aren’t dodging.

They need a score screen with kills/damage.