Marvel's Daredevil

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Column_sl

shitlord
Ok, posting my impressions after watching the whole series.

Want to preface this with I am going to be more harsh on this particular TV series versus say the network ones considering their budget was as high as Game of Thrones, and they can pretty much do whatever they want on the show without fear of censorship.

I also had very high expectations going into the series for the above reasons.

Did it meet those expectations? I would say no. I want to say I love this show, but I would be lying. There are definitely flashes of very exciting storytelling such as the "Sticks" and Final episode.
The rest is very mediocre. It is burdened by very average writing, and direction. There is a lot of very formula based TV direction in the show which is disappointing, I was expecting more creativity.

With the money they put behind it I expected some fantastic editing, sound design, smart dialogue, and artistic use of direction ( This is a marvel comic after all) It rarely show this in the 13 hours I watched.

For instance, I wish there was more scenes like the blind guy in the car with camera rotating around as Daredevil comes in and out of the scene.

That being said I still liked it. It just wasn't the show I wanted it to be. I was just expecting something more on the creative side, and the show is just extremely straight forward almost to the point of being dull at many points.

On the Daredevil suit, it looks great although I would have preferred they not covered the nose even tho that makes more sense in reality.

If I had to give one break out performance that would have to go to Vincent D'Onofrio, he 100% nailed Kingpin.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
Pretty good start, impressed me much more than agents of shield. Going to take it slow a few episodes a day that way don't get burnt out.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
No idea what Column is talking about. Then again he thinks Agent Carter was a great show. So yea. This show kicks ass, and one of the better shows I've ever watched. I would love to see a Punisher made by the same team.

Column_sl

shitlord
You haven't even finished Daredevil according to your last post, you are like half way done...

Also comparing a network show that has half the budget, and a stupid amount of constraints to a show with one of the biggest budgets in TV history, and no constraints shows how dumb you are.

Daredevil should be exceptional, it should be far above any TV series in every part of it's creative direction given the capital they had to work with. It is not exceptional it is very mediocre.

Column_sl

shitlord
Well he has that in the comics as well. That's not something they made up for the show.

Kingpin is by far the best part of Daredevil really only because of Vince imo, not because of the pedestrian writing on the show.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Also comparing a network show that has half the budget, and a stupid amount of constraints to a show with one of the biggest budgets in TV history, and no constraints shows how dumb you are.
Have no idea where you get your numbers. Here is the best thing I could find even remotely close. Agents has the "bigger production name" and not on Netflix. It also has the dollars to work with. It is also the key lead story line to fill between, and the run up to the major Marvel movies consisting of the Avengers. It has such a wider scope to work with compared to just Daredevil and his small city. Yet for all but maybe 4 episodes it has fallen flat because of the shit plots, cheese ass love stories, and Skye. There is a reason why it has shit ratings.

Daredevil isn't the show we want. It is the show we deserve.

Assuming the budget is spread between the five series equally (although it would make sense to spend a little more on The Defenders miniseries), each episode will feature a budget of roughly $3.3 million. That doesn't come close to touching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ridiculous budget of $14 million for the pilot alone, but it is in keeping up with several other, high-quality shows.

Read more:Marvel??Ts Netflix bound TV shows to cost a whopping $200 million | Digital Trends
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Column_sl

shitlord
aos costs 3- 4 million an episode, Daredevil clocks in at around 4-5 million an episode. Game of thrones is 60 million per season, and Daredevil was a whopping 55 million.

Daredevil is the show you want, I expect more. Game of Thrones is a beautiful shot show on every point of it's creative design from soundtrack to editing. Daredevil could easily be a network show.

Go to 9:30 in this video for the production cost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwF2HltQYeI

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm rather impressed someone here was able to burn through the 13 hours of watching this the day it came out. How do you live man!?

Column_sl

shitlord
I live Well. I did more then that for the last Marvel movie marathon, and I expect to do even more then that this year for the Age of Ultron marathon.

It's funny that people on this board that game away pretty much their whole lives, that take off work so they can play 24 hours on a newly launched game are perplexed that someone could take in a 13 hour series in one shot... A series I've been waiting for almost 2 years for.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I'll say one thing (three episodes in), that kid in the opening scene nailed the cry of despair.

So far this is definitely a series that's worth your time. Especially if you want something a little meatier than AoS.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've never even considered taking time off of work for a video game or a tv series or anything like that. Didn't realize that was that common. Even here, especially as the board (people) has aged.

Column_sl

shitlord
I've never even considered taking time off of work for a video game or a tv series or anything like that. Didn't realize that was that common. Even here, especially as the board (people) has aged.
O come on... I find that very hard to believe coming from a MMO board. Also a lot of us are still in our 20's... Not that matters since I see tons of people in their 30's to 40s on this board still living that gaming life.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'll admit I had them playing in the backround while doing other stuff but is it really that weird? I hear of people doing marathons of LoTR, GoT, ect. not really that odd. And lets not talk about people that play games on release for x amount of hours