Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy GOTG from Square Enix

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
As a child of the period I can attest to th authenticity of Peter's childhood bedroom. Between this and the background space for Demeo I think the 80s wood paneling teen dude room has been immortalized.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm on chapter 8 now, and characters and story just keeps getting better. I'm really enjoying it.

I cannot stress enough just how much banter there is between the characters. It is really impressive how many lines they wrote and recorded.

Honestly that was one of the more annoying things about the gameplay I've seen. The banter seemed *constant* and wasn't very entertaining to me.

I guess despite the game possibly being solid mechanics-wise, this just isn't my style of game. C'est la vie.

• 1Picard

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Complaining about banter in a Guardians game is about the equivalent of the people who complained Deadpool broke the 4th wall....

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Well I just finished the game. All in all an extremely satisfying game. Great story, awesome characters, good gameplay. Not much else to ask for, it's a bit on the short side but then it's probably better than having too much filler and have it dragged on.

The story escalate from mundane to save the galaxy in a very organic way, the themes touched by the game like family, loss and grief are handle very well.

There are a few cameos here and there that were pretty cool.

I think they made the right call with creating their own version of the GoTG and not going with the MCU version or comic version although they are close to the comic version. It allowed them to tell a story they would not have been able to tell otherwise, and the story and characters are definitely the high point of the game.

The music was awesome, not sure if the tune plays randomly or are set to play specific tune for specific encounters but at the last boss battle I had Final Countdown playing which was just plain awesome. Fighting with Don't worry be happy, or Wake me up before you go-go is a bit jarring at times but as someone who was a teen in the 80's and grew up on that music it was just plain fun.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My one complaint in the game is the twitch factor, combined with the shitty lock system. Some of the fights where there are a million guys shooting at you at once and you need to focus on one while giving team orders are clumsy as fuck to do. I believe GF Reviews coined the term Diarrhea Christmas Lights which accurately describes just about every horde fight from Chapter 8 onward.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'm only in chapter 4 but the combat is meh to ass, it took me forever to figure out in the jello fight in chapter 3 that its 100x easier to kill shit if you lock down (L2 on ps5), not sure why.

i still am really, really enjoying the story though, it feels 80% story / wandering 20% combat so far which is not a great ratio, but I don't mind. The fact that any collectibles you miss is ungettable unless you do a NG+ though is total ass.

blue alien chicks are hot, really digging that quill is a total ho-bro in the game

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The story and banter remains consistently good all through the game (I am nearly done), but the other things you brought up are real issues in the game. The combat is sparse and it gets very zergy and twitchy late game, with the exception of the chapter 15 end boss which lets just say is aggravating on several levels.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The voice actor for Gamora sounds a lot like Cobie Smulders(Maria Hill) which sorta bugs me

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I actually prefer the Gamora VA to the movie actress in a lot of ways. The VA for Drax is growing on me over the course of the game as well. Once you can process that this is not the MCU GoTG, its a lot less jarring with the voice performances for most. The banter is probably the best part of the entire game.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The banter is good, but what annoys me is how you almost always have to cut them off if you want Peter to say something.

Gamora and Drax are great imo. Groot VA is no Vin Diesel, but it's Groot so it doesn't really matter too much. And getting further into the game hasn't changed my mind one bit about Quill and Rocket being horribly miscast.

spronk

FPS noob
plat'd the game, really really enjoyed it. Story and writing was top notch, I felt really invested in all of them by the end and found nobody annoying. Really actually loved Rocket, Groot, and Drax. Quill was more annoying than awesome but that sorta matches his characters in MCU too. By the end I wanted more or a sequel and thats always a great way to finish a game instead of wishing "WHEN WILL THIS END" like Ubisoft games.

I did like how it was its own thing, while it shared some moments with the MCU it brought in a lot of characters I've only tangentially heard about but did them all really well, felt like I learned a lot more about the universe.

solid 9/10 for me, 30 hours to plat and another 10 or so to NG+ to see the different options you could have chosen.

The only bad thing is the collectibles are buggy as hell, if you miss any most of the time you can't go back and pick them up again except in a NG+. And there are a ton of bugs when it comes to interacting with collectibles in the right order and stuff, reloads can fuck it all up.

Not really worth $60-70 but worth a solid $30-40 and definitely a good get on sale, especially for any fans of the guardians.

its a bummer the game isn't selling that well, this is exactly the kind of game people around here always clamor for but we definitely seem to be in the buying minority now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah it is, as a story telling experience type game, a near perfectly crafted game. Combat could be a little cleaner and there are some egregious difficulty spikes at points, but it never stole from the story and dialog. Solid 9/10 for me and I am hoping the long term sales can generate a sequel at some point, because they left themselves plenty to work with on that front. It made me immediately binge the movies the day I finished it, so it is clearly hitting the right notes.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I'm enjoying it a lot. Grew up in the 80s era so all the little notes with the farmhouse were spot on. While certainly MCU adjacent in terms of some of the characterizations and appearances I did like the small departures they made to align just a bit more with comics etc.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob

game is gonna be $25-30 on black friday, 100% worth a pickup and play at that price. 20-30 hours single story that wraps up completely and is engaging all the way.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
game is $30 at amazon, best buy and other places and 100% worth it. The cosmic deluxe edition is $50 everywherre too and imo worth it

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
This doesn’t sound like my kind of game persay, but from how engaging you guys say the story is, and the BF PSN discount, I might need to give it a try. Need something to play between now and Elden Ring / Witch Queen in February. Any other games I should snag from the sale?

joz123

Potato del Grande
This doesn’t sound like my kind of game persay, but from how engaging you guys say the story is, and the BF PSN discount, I might need to give it a try. Need something to play between now and Elden Ring / Witch Queen in February. Any other games I should snag from the sale?
Lost Judgment at 30 bucks is really good too.

• 1Like