Marvel's Iron Fist

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Kind of glad they released this clip. It's helping me to temper my expectations and hype. Uhg.

The choreography was off, but it also had the feel of a cheesy B martial arts movie. Hopefully the rest of the show doesn't play like a Jean Claude Van Damme movie.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Luke Cage was awesome if you only watched the last 10 minutes of each episode.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
How long ago did you completely lose what resembled a soul?

It happened at exactly the same moment as the revelation that the villain in Jessica Jones controlled people's minds by exuding a virus. What the fuck is that?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It happened at exactly the same moment as the revelation that the villain in Jessica Jones controlled people's minds by exuding a virus. What the fuck is that?

Unlike all the other marvel superpowers which are completely realistic

Azrayne

The difference is that most superpowers don't even try to be realistic. At the end of the day, it's much better for everyone involved if they just say "yeah he's psychic, that's a thing in this setting." Reasonable suspension of disbelief can fill in the rest pretty easily. Having it be some kind of weird virus makes even less sense than psychic powers, and just confuses the whole issue. It's the whole midichlorian issue.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Luke Cage was awesome if you only watched the last 10 minutes of each episode.

I agree. Luke Cage overall for me was very "meh". Daredevil however was fantastic from start to end and can't wait for S3 to come out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Everything with Luke Cage and Cottonmouth was great. Once it moved away from that, blah.

Not a big Kung Fu fan, probably the most skeptical for Iron Fist, but none of these characters have been very interesting to me before the Netflix shows and they've all been able to win me over to some degree.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The difference is that most superpowers don't even try to be realistic. At the end of the day, it's much better for everyone involved if they just say "yeah he's psychic, that's a thing in this setting." Reasonable suspension of disbelief can fill in the rest pretty easily. Having it be some kind of weird virus makes even less sense than psychic powers, and just confuses the whole issue. It's the whole midichlorian issue.

Disagree with that completely. It also explains how she was able to build up immunity to it.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Daredevil is the best of the lot but I honestly find the Netflix marvel series overall extremely slow and extremely boring. Jessica Jones being the worst.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I was pretty hyped for this show, but that trailer does have me a bit concerned.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Daredevil is the best of the lot but I honestly find the Netflix marvel series overall extremely slow and extremely boring. Jessica Jones being the worst.

Jessica Jones is definitely different than the others. It's not an action fest like DD or Luke Cage, so you'll be disappointed if that's what you're expecting.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I was pretty hyped for this show, but that trailer does have me a bit concerned.

I am still hyped. Loved all the shows so far, I am still willing to give Marvel some good faith. Iron Fist is also my second favorite character out of the 4, so that also helps.

Also Jessica Jones was the most character driven I think. It is still good on it's own merits, but I think the tone will get a little lighter in season 2 and after what will most likely start to happen with Defenders.

• 1Solidarity

Azrayne

Azrayne has to be trolling at this point. No superpower explanation makes sense.

Which is why I think it's absurd when they try to explain them Easier to just set a certain level of suspension of disbelief and maintain internal consistency from there.

Can you imagine if you'd gone to see, eg. Dr. Strange, and the Ancient One had given a 10 minute explanation about how all of the magic sorcerers do is actually based on super advanced technology involving having implants put into the body which can be used to make it look like someone is shooting energy out of their fingers? Now you're left with something which is not only just as unrealistic as the original premise, but involves an additional framework of extraneous bullshit which is just as, if not more, unrealistic, and just to top it off also happens to totally clash with the original tone of the show.

I don't follow the source material, so maybe it made more sense there, but in the show it came totally out of the left field and completely killed immersion for me. Things had already dragged on a bit by that point, but it was definitely the nail in the coffin.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Which is why I think it's absurd when they try to explain them Easier to just set a certain level of suspension of disbelief and maintain internal consistency from there.

Can you imagine if you'd gone to see, eg. Dr. Strange, and the Ancient One had given a 10 minute explanation about how all of the magic sorcerers do is actually based on super advanced technology involving having implants put into the body which can be used to make it look like someone is shooting energy out of their fingers? Now you're left with something which is not only just as unrealistic as the original premise, but involves an additional framework of extraneous bullshit which is just as, if not more, unrealistic, and just to top it off also happens to totally clash with the original tone of the show.

I don't follow the source material, so maybe it made more sense there, but in the show it came totally out of the left field and completely killed immersion for me. Things had already dragged on a bit by that point, but it was definitely the nail in the coffin.

Sorry, man, but what you're saying is making absolutely no sense. They do a very basic explanation of almost every super heroes powers in every show/movie. Superman is powered by our yellow sun, Hulk got his powers from gamma radiation, Daredevil had the car accident with the toxic waste, Kilgrave's power comes from a virus. It's all the same shit, not sure why you think this is so much different. Hell it even explains why he's such an evil pos.

This has to be the most retarded complaint I've ever heard.

• 1Like

Azrayne

Sorry, man, but what you're saying is making absolutely no sense. They do a very basic explanation of almost every super heroes powers in every show/movie. Superman is powered by our yellow sun, Hulk got his powers from gamma radiation, Daredevil had the car accident with the toxic waste, Kilgrave's power comes from a virus. It's all the same shit, not sure why you think this is so much different. Hell it even explains why he's such an evil pos.

This has to be the most retarded complaint I've ever heard.

Totally different things. You're talking about the origin of their powers, I'm talking about their function.

And even then, I probably wouldn't have found it such an immersion killer if either a) his mind control power had actually operated anything remotely like a virus operates (viruses don't eg. take immediate and total effect in 100% of cases of exposure) and/or b) there had been some kind of exposition which lead up to the reveal that it was a virus, instead of just "oh btw, we can make a vaccine for mind control."

That's the part that killed it for me - up until then I could ride on suspension of disbelief because we're talking about a setting with way crazier shit than mind control, but when you run half a season with every bit of evidence suggesting that he's just some kind of psychic or whatever, then suddenly throw in a completely different explanation out of the left field, yeah, there's a break in internal consistency, in tone if nothing else.

But whatever, if you were enjoying the show enough that you could ride that over, more power to you. I was already half way out, and that was jarring enough that I couldn't be bothered going forward at that point.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk

I agree. All of them could have been knocked down by 3 - 4 episodes to remove filler and tighten them up.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Jessica Jones is definitely different than the others. It's not an action fest like DD or Luke Cage, so you'll be disappointed if that's what you're expecting.

Jessica Jones has more action than Luke Cage.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I think they're all pretty good. I probably like Jessica Jones the most because the villain is so dope. But the second season has potential to be shitty without a strong villain.