Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
interesting read : tl;dr studio was massively understaffed and didn't have solid leadership, they made the game in basically 18 months
http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428

Kotaku Apologist Brigade deployed. I'll read the article when I get home, but my gut reaction is that shoddy leadership can mar code, ruin deadlines and confuse logistics, but it's basically assured that the talent in play is utterly dismal when a game has writing as bad as MEA had.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Kotaku Apologist Brigade deployed. I'll read the article when I get home, but my gut reaction is that shoddy leadership can mar code, ruin deadlines and confuse logistics, but it's basically assured that the talent in play is utterly dismal when a game has writing as bad as MEA had.

Yep I read the article and it was scapegoat after scapegoat. Regardless of animations, combat system, tools fubarred in Frostbite, etc - The writing, character dialogue, and over-arcing script (Which they said in this interview was relatively untouched) was absolutely the most cringe worthy garbage I have ever seen written for a video game, ever. And THAT is what happens when you lose all your writing talent. I could have forgiven the animations, the UI, the horrible crafting system - shit, most all of it - If it had good character interactions, a great story, and good character building and voice acting.

They mentioned "SJW" accusations. When playing this game and listening to the writing, seeing how characters interact, character development and decisions - it isn't "deranged" thinking as this idiot writer puts it. It's exactly what happens when you put a bunch of no talent scrub SJW's trying to make a game that doesn't offend anyone and up play social justice in the world.

Fire everyone at Bioware and just move on? Never let these idiot writers EVER write again or come close to game development? I would be the first CEO to say, "LETS DO THIS!"

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I liked Total Biscuit's review, where he took a couple minutes to talk about how there wasn't much overt Identity politics in the game... While an NPC berated another NPC in the background for not using a third NPC's preferred pronouns.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I liked Total Biscuit's review, where he took a couple minutes to talk about how there wasn't much overt Identity politics in the game... While an NPC berated another NPC in the background for not using a third NPC's preferred pronouns.

TotalBiscuit's a n00bcake. Watch his review of The Technomancer to get a complete view of his n00bness.

"Why did that hit me? I was attacking..."

wat?

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I read that article and I think one of the critical issues is present in the original thesis for "ME4" -- the success of Mass Effect was not about exploration for the sake of exploring, it was about exploration that was driven by core plot and character elements.

There was no way that a procedurally generated universe was going to reflect that sort of style in a game. At best you could generate a whole swarm of Remnant-tech worlds that you had to explore in order to build up enough knowledge and find enough clues to figure out elements of their technology / background. Think of a WoW-style reputation system based on you 'solving' X number of randomly generated planets with certain milestone events woven into the mix, but even then it would have to be managed carefully lest it become a massive grind.

I am surprised, however, that no major heads have rolled over the whole debacle. To completely annihilate a piece of IP that had such overall positive impressions in the greater gaming community should have consequences.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to finishing this. Enjoyed it in general, more of the same really.. Could have used some more complete storytelling especially since there won't be a sequel.. ending was pretty weak.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is the same team working on Bioware's New IP that's rumored to be rolling out at E3, right?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
This is the same team working on Bioware's New IP that's rumored to be rolling out at E3, right?

Heh yep.

And everyone worth a shit already left.

Only thing to look forward to possibly being ANY good what so ever will be the visceral star wars game being written by Amy Hennig.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I thought that Edmonton was working on Dylan while Montreal worked on MEA. I could be wrong, but that's the impression that I got.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I thought that Edmonton was working on Dylan while Montreal worked on MEA. I could be wrong, but that's the impression that I got.
Oops sorry correction.

They were split to work at Motive for Battlefront 2.

Whatever they are doing keep them far away from games.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah there is the original Mass Effect team that is working on Dylan, named after Bob Dylan because it will "be remembered for decades" (thats not pretentious at all)
there is the Dragon Age team working on DA4
then the Andromeda team were the guys who did the multiplayer stuff for ME2/3 and a lot of it was outsourced around the world. The studio has been more or less shuttered now with people passed around to other teams and shit

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The pressure on the 'Dylan' team has got to be insanely high now. When they started working on it they had two mega-selling IPs in Mass Effect and Dragon Age that they could rely on as well as substantial promise of continued revenue growth from SWTOR. SWTOR still makes some decent coin as I understand it, but no where near 'WoW money' as they had long hoped and they just shot one of their cash cows in the head.

• 1Like

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
The pressure on the 'Dylan' team has got to be insanely high now. When they started working on it they had two mega-selling IPs in Mass Effect and Dragon Age that they could rely on as well as substantial promise of continued revenue growth from SWTOR. SWTOR still makes some decent coin as I understand it, but no where near 'WoW money' as they had long hoped and they just shot one of their cash cows in the head.

And it just went up. I can only imagine the reception it's going it and the memes that will be produced if it isn't absolutely epic after the leak of the codename and why they called it such.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Prolly gonna be some halfass Division clone along with some halfass Destiny clone. Meaning it'll be more of a bro-ey shooter than anything. It's just meh. Still haven't bought Battlefield, doubt I'm going to. Sorry dude, but I have other things that take up my time.

Here's the thing about getting older, you have less time to play. So, if you think about it, they are chasing down a smaller and smaller piece of the market right now, what with the average age of gamers getting older. Heh, they just put on ice a huge money maker for them (pre-MEA), and are going for an FPS game.

Way to go.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

And all the people that made those successes are history. With Casey Hudson gone (Love him or hate him at least he kept everyone on track) I will laugh if Mac Walters is on this now.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I should honestly have seen the writing on the wall at PAX East. There presentation there should have been a pre-victory lap if things were solid, but instead they were incredibly reserved about everything when talking to people and Walters was outright defensive.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I thought about heading over to uBSN to gloat, but then I thought why do I give a shit?

Meh.

The game is a toasty turd, flaming anyone who even comes close to it. EA had better put it in the freezer, 'cause that dumpster fire's not going out any time soon.

I'll prolly head over there later tonight when I'm drunk enough to know that I can't game for shit any more, but can still type and look for a couple'a laughs.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I cannot believe anyone to this day actually defended this tub of shit.

Next up? The same damn hype and shout downs from fanboys
Shills
when it comes to Dragon Age and they do the same damn thing and pull another implosion of shit.

• 1Like