Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
This game will still sell like crazy and get dumb ass 9+ review scores, but you'd have to be stupid to buy this game day one with the crazy amount of great games that have been and will be released at around same time. It's not like you have search to find something to play.

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
GG Bioware. First you killed Dragon Age, TWICE and now this. Way to ruin two insanely good IPs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fedor

<Banned>
vrKISeR.jpg

U6qGkiX.gif

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So that alien is voiced by that lispy SJW who plays Danesh on Silicon Valley, lisp and all.

This is looking hilariously terrible.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If this sells mediocre, that's good news to me. EA's going to freak out with sales and green light Battlefield Vietnam:1968 and BF2143.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Skyrim did the same thing calling the player Dovahkiin.

Even if text-to-voice synthesis ever gets good enough to deliver good in-game voice dialog, I don't think they'd ever let the player run around being called "Captain Smegbiscuit" by NPC's.
That's true. And Oblivion was Hero of Kvatch, and Morrowind was the Nerevarine or whatever

goishen

Macho Ma'am

When even GameSpot is shitting on your game you know you're in trouble

My favorite part of this was when the guy was describing what I previously called the lake effect. Imagine you are in the middle of a lake. You start swimming to shore. For the first couple'a seconds you aren't really moving anywhere. You're more of a mesh of thrashing arms and legs until you get your stride.

Others would call it input delay to achieve maximum speed.

I don't care what the fuck you call it. I call it a fucking consolized piece of shit.

Last edited:

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>

When even GameSpot is shitting on your game you know you're in trouble
These guys sounded like they wanted to rip this shit apart much worse than they were, but were held back by the embargo.

• 1Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I Wonder what Bioware Edmonton is working on? It seems clear they just exiled Mac Walters to Montreal to make this and don't seem to have given it much oversight.

Anyway I dusted off the Xboner and booted this up with EA Access last night and played for ~2 hours. Including overall comments in spoilers just for safety:

Music -- Sam Hulick and Jack Wall's original "Main Theme" for Mass Effect was immediately iconic. The very first time I played the game I got chills as the "Mass Effect" logo came up timed with the first crescendo. While the subsequent games lacked the depth of style present in the original soundtrack, elements of the original theme persists even in Mass Effect 3 which was composed by a different team. I mention this because the music in Andromeda is completely uninspired. Obviously we havent been exposed to the full soundtrack in just the first couple hours...but in terms of main theme and immediate hook this is just pablum trash music composed by someone who drops everything when Purina calls seeking a new Meow Mix jingle

UX / UI -- This is particularly jarring coming off playing Horizon : Zero Dawn because the UX in that game is immersive and intuitive.
1) HUD - The first world you visit has lots of brightly lit white / grey tones in the skybox / immediate surroundings and so having a completely white 'navigation' UI means that things like waypoints are completely invisible against the background for the very section of the game where you are introducing the concept!
2) Gun loadout - mapping this to the 'share' button on the Xbone controller makes it rather awkward to use, certainly not as immediately responsive as was the case in classic Mass Effect titles.
3) Squad control -- similar to gun loadout the section of the UI where you order your squaddies is clunky as hell. It used to be accomplished by a combination of the d-pad and the ability wheel speaking of which
4) Ability usage -- Because they added the 'jump jet' to "A" they moved the general ability use to Y and the three powers to left bumper, right bumper and both bumpers together. Oh and they got rid of
5) The Power / Ability wheel -- THE signature core aspect of the game is gone. In fact you can no longer order your squaddies to use powers, just give them general stances and tell them where you want them to stand. As a person who made extensive use of the Ability Wheel in past games losing this is a big deal
Scanning -- Okay I knew this was a game all about discovery when every 6th word out of Mac's mouth at PAX was 'exploration' but shoving this Hololens like scanner is just not the right way to do it. Again going back to Horizon : Zero Dawn they have a similar ability there where you clicked R3 and went into 'focus mode' where you moved very slowly but had access to the information from your focus with a clear indication of what could be scanned and then scanning was just a matter of moving the reticle over the highlighted object. That would have been okay here as well, but instead you are stuck moving your x-ray 'scan window' all over the view hunting for things that are slightly highlighted compared to the background amber color and then you have to hit a different button to scan them. Clunky as fuck, but ultimately necessary since scanning things is how you get research points used to craft and upgrade stuff.

Combat -- Standard cover shooter combat but where entering cover seems somewhat imprecise. I also seemed to stand up and completely leave cover everytime I went to switch my weapon, but that could just be a user error on my part as i was fumbling for the unintuitive controls. The lack of the Power Wheel here made the cooldowns on the class powers seem much much longer because I was stuck with just the powers Ryder has rather than being able to use all the powers from the whole team.

Plot -- Im not going to pass judgement on this based on the snippets I've seen in the first couple of hours... but the main elements and pacing do not seem well thought out. As others have mentioned I have no idea why we went to Settlement 7 first if we also needed to go to the Nexus to process all the colonists. It seems clear that the Nexus people already have the skinny on what is going on with the Golden Worlds being kinda shit so its not like Hyperion needed to go straight to Settlement 7. I'm also not sure what the heck is up with Ryder and his/her dad. Half of the dialogue options seem to imply that I barely know the guy? Since the early access thing is timed I didnt read all the codex entries so maybe there is backstory there, but It seems just odd to jump into this character who was dragged to another galaxy with his sibling and father and have him say "eh I don't really know the guy"

Sloppy writing -- They mentioned that in the original trilogy they always wrote Shepherd as a Soldier even if your Shep had very different abilities and were hoping to correct that with Ryder. However there in the middle of the tutorial mission we have Cora protect everyone with an Asari biotic bubble (remind me again why she wasn't just an Asari?) and Liam goes "Wow your a biotic???" which is after 3-4 combat sequences where I've been tossing biotics around like mad without any comment.

Pathfinder Powers Activate -- Okay so the special nano-cybernetic fusion with SAM is why the Pathfinder is able to switch around their skills from one profile to another. I get why they included that gameplay element as a plotpoint, it was just kinda silly having Liam react to Dad Ryder vocalizing his power switches.

I'm still going to get the title but I am not nearly as excited as I was :(

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm still going to get the title but I am not nearly as excited as I was [bcolor=rgb(24, 24, 24)]:([/bcolor]

People like you are the single biggest problem with the gaming industry.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
With products this bad it seems we usually get some behind the scenes drama leaks. Why is it that development seems to have gone smoothly and on plan yet this is the result. Unless the plan was to make turd.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
With products this bad it seems we usually get some behind the scenes drama leaks. Why is it that development seems to have gone smoothly and on plan yet this is the result. Unless the plan was to make turd.

SJW hive mind

spronk

FPS noob
The most bothersome thing to me is how Bioware seems to have no grasp of physics. In just the first minute of the game you are told (via cutscenes/monitors) that we used our telescopes and stuff to find the best planets in Andromeda and sent the arks to the ones with the biggest clusters of golden planets. Then it turns out (at least one) of the planet kinda sucks, and your PC makes a comment about how it could have changed so much in 600 years of FTL travel.

No you stupid fuck, Andromeda is 2.5m light years away so that means whatever your scanners picked up was from 2.5m years ago (ignoring how it is highly unlikely you will get down to planetary imaging from a distance of 2.5m LY, no matter how great your tech is). You couldn't even send a probe and get results from that, since that would have still taken hundreds of years to get there with zero way to send data back. I'd like to imagine the game eventually explains whatever happened did so over a million years, but most likely it'll all have happened in the previous 600 years.

Bioware can't even get really, really basic science stuff right :(

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Holy shit, this game is going to be the largest meme generator since Trump's campaign.