Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

norp

Bronze Squire
I love some of the critics responses, exactly what I figured they'd do. "A welcome return to Bioware’s space opera, introducing great characters, an interesting story and some fantastic designs, always providing things to do.".

Generic bullshit praise.

It's sad because I'd of overlooked a lot of shit, but I can't get over some of the lines and ridiculous animations. It killed any chance of this game being worth playing for me.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
If anything this thread is making me jones for playing through ME1-3 again. They did eventually fix the ending of 3 with DLC didn't they? Shitlord Commander Shepard is beckoning me.

• 1Smuggly
Reactions: 1 user

khorum

Murder Apologist
The Citadel DLC ending was the real ending. If you stuck around for the patched ending but didnt get the Citadel DLC, go get that asap.

ME's narrative was rarely ever about the main storyline, it was always about the characters and their relationships and the Citadel DLC was the best possible sendoff to the ME franchise they could've possibly done. So much feels.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They did eventually fix the ending of 3 with DLC didn't they?

No. It's still total garbage.

*edit*

Khorum nailed it. They gave the series a tolerable send-off with the Citadel DLC. The actual ending of the game is still a complete travesty even with the extended additions.

• 2Like

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
What in the fuck? How the fuck is that possible?

Because it seems increasingly clear that the game was not hitting the minimum performance numbers at the end of development so they nerfed the hell out of the engine, which played havoc with the already created art. Highlights got yanked which led to the drug-fiend eyes, facial data was simplified so many cheeks don't move and the animations now look bizarre, etc.

While you could pin the blame on EA wanting it out this Fiscal Year, all those E3s where EA had nothing to show on this (in presentations where they desperately needed anything to fill time) suggest this is more the new/incompetent studio, and EA knew this wasn't easily fixable and just wanted the hit off their books.

It's a bummer too, as a PC-only guy that's not in the mood for Torment, I needed something to play. And I don't know if Mass Effect will get another non-MP game after this (look how quickly Dead Space, Crysis, etc. died).

• 1Like

Dalien

Registered Hodor
The Citadel DLC ending was the real ending. If you stuck around for the patched ending but didnt get the Citadel DLC, go get that asap.

I'll have to reinstall Origin on my new rig to check but I think I just saw the patched one (which was still shit). Thanks for the heads up on the Citadel DLC.

• 1Like

khorum

Murder Apologist

*edit*

Khorum nailed it. They gave the series a tolerable send-off with the Citadel DLC. The actual ending of the game is still a complete travesty even with the extended additions.
And you HAVE to play through it too... don't just watch the youtube vids. The Citadel DLC alone pulled more variables off your savegame than all of ME3. It was supposed to be fan-service for all the criticism that your choices rarely affected ME3's narrative, and it ended up being their best actual ending. Even little choices like what you did with the Rachni egg make an appearance.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
All the ME3 DLC was of significantly higher quality than the rest of the game, even if From Ashes being packaged as DLC was a complete load of bullshit.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>

*edit*

It really would have been the best ending to have Shepard charge at the beam and then have that be the ending:

AyWWSxt.jpg

khorum

Murder Apologist
At the time, some redditors leaked that the original idea for Citadel was that you didn't play it as Shepard at all, but as his love interest or best bro after the end of the main story.

That's why it ended up being an identity-theft thing where you chase a fake Shepard, because it was conceived as Shepard's friends reminiscing about Shepard while chasing down leads on a fake Shepard. It was meant to suspend the ambiguity of whether he was dead or alive at the end.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
like what you did with the Rachni egg make an appearance.
I am a bit of an ME3 apologist but, fuck, nothing happening with the Rachni even had me a bit salty. I wanted to see an epic cutscene with a Krogan riding a Rachni through a Reaper destroying all the techno-zombies in their path. Instead in the launched game we had a couple lines of telepathic bullshit.

khorum

Murder Apologist
The whole thing was wasted man... every awesome idea Mass Effect developed over the life of the franchise. They dropped the ball on the Rachni. They turned the awesome idea of Cerberus from being the secret Avengers-type Terran defense organization in ME2 into a lame one-dimensional bad guy in 3. They phoned it in with the Geth's and Legion's ending... I mean holy shit, who didn't want to see the Geth Dyson Sphere they were supposed to be building right?!?! Even Joss Whedon riffed on that idea of a hostile superior AI hijacking a friendly one, but that's OK since ME didn't do shit with Legion or the Geth after your shitty binary choice in 3. You didn't even get a squad of Geth Primes to help you in the last level---something DA actually did depending on which factions you supported.

All those threads could've filled out a 5-hour DLC, but NOPE... all we got was a chance to help Aria liberate her stupid nightclub.

That's really the worst thing about ME3's ending; all that wasted potential.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Oh fuck. Yeah when I said all the DLC was better than the game itself, I forgot about that stupid Omega shit.

• 1Like

Molten Core Raider
If anything this thread is making me jones for playing through ME1-3 again. They did eventually fix the ending of 3 with DLC didn't they? Shitlord Commander Shepard is beckoning me.

If you go back through ME3, try it with the Mass Effect Happy Ending Mod (MEHEM The Mass Effect 3 Happy Ending Mod at Mass Effect 3 Nexus - Mods and community). It retools the ending to make it work better than what Bioware doled out to us. Might not be canon, but it works far better than what we got.

What does MEHEM do in detail (obvious spoiler warning)?
- It removes the catalyst scene. No ifs, not buts. It's gone for good. (So is your choice, you will now destroy the reapers no matter what)
- It introduces a whole new scene showing how Joker disobeys orders and keeps the Normandy in the fight long enough for Shepard to be rescued (with the help of a certain Alliance captain :))
- The Normandy no longer crash-lands on the Weirdo Planet
- The Geth and EDI survive. EDI is now present during the memorial and new slides were added to the epilogue that will show the geth, if they are alive.
- The epilogue slides now show survivors on the Citadel, most prominently Aria and Cpt. Baley.
- You will see your Shepard reunited with his crew (and even some interaction unique to your LI if the LI is part of the Normandy crew). While they don't exactly have a party, now it is a real bitter-sweet ending with the emphasis on "sweet" rather than on "bitter"
- The musical score is changed quite extensively, including the credits song
- Since by the time of v0.3, quite a few people have contributed to this mod, I implemented some MEHEM credits in the stargazer scene.
- Since v0.2, Harbinger will say a few lines during the beam run.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I made a custom Ryder and I feel less like punching him in the face now. He still has the same voice obviously, but switching to a custom look seems to have removed a certain level of Nathan Drake snarkiness.