Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I wouldn't say that, it's about on par. The only thing that I think is gonna save this game is multiplayer and DLC's. Written by uhhhhhh.... People that actually care about what they're writing.

But we'll see. At this point, I have no faith in BioWare to write something that I actually wanna play.

Here, let me give you an example :

In this game, you learn about a geth telescope that was made from three different mass relays. They advance the photons or some shit, so that you can get more accurate view of what's happening in Andromeda. This is all bullshit of course, because light that's coming from Andromeda goes at the speed of light, no faster and no slower.[/spoier]

Last edited:

khorum

Murder Apologist
ME3's multiplayer was pretty fun, but not because of the writing.

Soygen was right, anyone who says they buy Bioware games for the snappy and polished gameplay hasn't been really into Bioware games. I can't remember the last time I bought a bioware game because of its lush itemization or its fun gameplay. Baldur's Gate 2 maybe?

On the the contrary, Bioware has gone out of its way to pare down the "gamey" aspects of their products in lieu of "richer" more "immersive" narratives. They've ditched entire D20 systems and dumbed down inventory to full on SJW-friendliness since ME1. And for a time during KOTOR and DAO that worked well.

Then Hamburger Helper came along and crammed her fat SJW Ideology into everything and even the thin draw of story-over-gameplay started going to shit.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I played about 3.5 hours last night....enjoyed it. :)

There's obviously technical issues with the game, poor facial animations and running animation glitches to name 2. I'm not even gonna attempt to defend those, obviously the game was rushed.

The gameplay was up to par for me with other Bioware games. The story in the first 3 hours was enjoyed even if a bit cliché. The combat was good, conversation system is better than the paragorn system...didn't feel forced into one choice.

Hard to comment yet on the actual skill and profile system since I have so few skill and just unlocked the profile system, but it feels pretty good.

As for the SJW thing, in the first 3 hours, haven't seen anything.

Overall, I enjoyed it. As a side note, I loved DA:I too. :)

• 2Smuggly
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Please be patient, I have autism

1rCG39o.jpg

dL6uznT.jpg

iBDJ9FQ.png

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well I have played through the initial area and gotten to the nexus. Other than some lazy eye stuff animation wise I have not bumped into anything that bothered me in single player. Her normal walk/run animations look fine in armor and outside armor. It does look like its going to need some patches though as I have hit a couple areas where the frame rate tanked a bit and multiplayer I had one weird sound glitch where the sound got messed up and was stuck on one note until I closed out of the game.

Core stuff though seems fun enough so far and multi plays pretty much how I remember ME3 with increased pacing and mobility. I got a good sniper rifle from one of my big loot crates so was having some fun on solarian infiltrator. That dude sounds like a total pansy but he sure lays the smack down. The cloak is really nice given how swarmy it can get with those dogs where if one gets on you use your dash which for infiltrators appears to be a short dash/cloak and then hit your cloak and reposition to your next firing spot. Even at low level my stealth was coming back about as fast as I wanted to use it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Kaid and Vald... Did either of you two play Horizon, Zelda, Nioh or Nier?

I may have a hypothesis.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
This game is disappointing. Some part of me wanted to like it, but it's so fucking obvious that some parts of the game were just not done up to par. I don't know if its diversity hiring or b-studio that's to blame, but it's really just aggravating that the game isn't so bad that I can honesty trash everything about it. It's only just bad enough that it can constantly remind me of what it could have been. If you liked all the other ME games you might find some enjoyment in this, but do yourself a favor and pirate it or wait for the discount bin.

Such fucking wasted potential. 6.5/10

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Question to everyone who has purchased this: How many games have you purchased in the last 90 days? What is your estimate on how much money you spent on games in the last 90 days?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Mass Effect Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

After many good submissions, we have our winner.

Congrats to Goishen! I'll send you $10 in steam bucks via PM on Friday.

• 4Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Question to everyone who has purchased this: How many games have you purchased in the last 90 days? What is your estimate on how much money you spent on games in the last 90 days?

To follow up with this: Please also answer the following if you like the game:

1) How many games have you purchased in the last 90 days? (Good question Soygen)
2) Did you play Horizon, Zelda, Nier, or Nioh in the last 90 days?
3) Do you enjoy reading and posting on Neogaf?

Just based on 1 and 2 alone, I have a theory.

A theory that anyone who actually likes the story, combat, etc - has NOT played any of the games listed above in question 2. Because if they had, and seriously almost all subjective opinion aside, they would be looking at this game in one fell swoop and wouldn't last 5 minutes before feeling 100% insulted. If question 1 is Zero to 1, this means that the mass market marketing hit these folks and they do not do a lot of research.

It's a theory of expectations for consumers. Because it's the same folks that may go into a bar and order a bud light thinking it's the best beer on the planet because it's the only beer they ever really drink because they drink once every 90 days and have no other bars serving craft beer. So they have no idea what a Surly Furious tastes like... And this is the crowd I feel sorry for. :( I want them to have a Surly furious.

Or they just like horribly mediocre games and thats ok too.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I was IMing Qhue on PS4. I'm curious what he has to say after playing passed the Xbox one trial I played where I decided a hard no.

That will decide if I get it on sale for 10 bucks in three years when I am bored out of my mind. Used as well. I don't want these idiots at EA Bioware to see a dime of royalties.

So I finally got past the point I stopped the Xbox trial and went a bit further before deciding that this wasn't worth losing sleep over and shutting down for the night. Here are my additional observations.

1) Character Builder -- I had, naively, assumed that since at the end of customizing my character on Xbox it said "uploading to archive" that I would be able to easily download my character on launch day even though I was playing on a different system. Nope! In fact the site in question ( https://masseffectarchives.com/en_US/ ) is still in beta! This is the sort of thing that is ONLY used when first starting the game so of course you don't actually have it working on launch day. There isn't even a convenient way to determine what settings you used for Ryder. I guess I should have used the same method I did in 2007 and handwritten out all the slider positions when I was making my character.

2) Due to the issue with #1 above I ended up with a Ryder that isn't quite what I had in the trial and whose face actively annoys me. It seems it is impossible to change this once you start the game so I am left with either sucking it up and playing with a sub-par Ryder or having to start the damn thing all over again. Having done Habitat 7 a few times in the past week I can't stomach the idea of doing it again so I guess I'll suck it up and deal. If they were going to lock in the characters appearance they should have included an "interview" segment or something as part of the character builder so that you could see your character move and speak in proper lighting and thus give you a chance to revise before starting the real game.

3) The Tempest is pretty damn nice. I enjoy how they are able to take advantage of the technology improvements to showcase a very open and window-intensive new ship that just looks awesome when you are walking around and can see what is going on outside. The woman who was the principle creator / artist / everything for the Tempest was at PAX East and mentioned that she had lived and breathed the ship for the last several years and that effort shows. Really quite remarkable.

4) Whoever decided that we needed a mini cut-scene everytime we move from one planet in a system to another is a moron. Sure it looks nice, but if you are trying to max out your exploration of a system by moving from planet to planet it takes waaaaay too long to do.

5) The inventory / Research and Development UI is a nightmare. I am a person who actually LIKED the Mass Effect 1 customization and inventory system. This thing is... I don't even know where to begin when looking at items that I have which I can sell. I am pretty sure I want to keep all my raw materials so I can build things, but it looks like I need those to research as well AND even researching something isn't enough as you then have to incorporate that new technology into a product through some mechanism I was unable to figure out before my face grew too tired to care.

6) The mood / atmosphere is all over the place. One minute its all gloom n doom and everyone is starving with the entirely of civilization functioning as destitute refugees caught in a civil war and then the next the Nexus is looking all bright and shiny and we have this badass ship and one of your crew is chattering away about getting a couch for the lounge.

7) Finally got to the first real planet (which others did do during the 10 hour preview on EA Access) and rapidly found myself not caring once it looked like it was going to be a repeat of the same plot line as Habitat 7 and then discovering that the drive controls for the MAKO cause it to handle like a pregnant whale in a hedge maze.

8) I actually downloaded the APEX app for my phone yesterday and have been using it to send out teams on missions ala DA:I table / WoW-Garrison. The idea that you can play through the mission yourself in multiplayer is cool, but no one is playing multiplayer yet so trying to do that in practice was a fail last night. I am, however, getting some useful materials coming my way in game for the price of clicking an app every few hours so that's something.

I'll play more tonight and maybe it picks up once I get past this next bit, which honestly still feels like a tutorial. This is, however, entirely the wrong way to go about kicking off a new segment of your A-list franchise.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At first I was like who cares what your character looks like

Then I remembered in DA:I that my woman turned out looking like a fucking mongoloid and I hated her the entire game.

• 4Like

khalid

Unelected Mod
To follow up with this: Please also answer the following if you like the game:

1) How many games have you purchased in the last 90 days? (Good question Soygen)
2) Did you play Horizon, Zelda, Nier, or Nioh in the last 90 days?
3) Do you enjoy reading and posting on Neogaf?

1) Last game I bought was the dark souls 3 expac. I play Path of Exile almost exclusively atm.
2) No. While I have a PS4 I barely use it. PC master race and all that.
3) lol