Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Like no music at all? Are those like the sideshow "mining" planets though?

I don't suppose that's too huge a loss, from the few hours I've seen the music is yet another massive step down from previous ME games.

Yes, literally no music at all. ACG called it, "the most barren soundtrack in years".

The animations, deservedly, got the brunt of the criticism but there really isn't a single aspect of the game that isn't lacking in some way or the other.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I'd rather punch a trans woman in the dick than spend more then $10 on this crap.
I'll wait for the We're Sorry version before I buy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'd rather punch a trans woman in the dick than spend more then $10 on this crap.
I'll wait for the We're Sorry version before I buy.

The only way I'd buy this is if Bill Gates himself said to me "If you buy this game, I'll give Karl Urban 1 Billion dollars for Dredd 2 and Dredd 3.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wonder if there will be any repercussions for the sub-Bioware studio? I mean even EA must be unhappy with the crap that Mass Effect Andromeda is getting.

Oldbased

> Than U
The only way I'd buy this is if Bill Gates himself said to me "If you buy this game, I'll give Karl Urban 1 Billion dollars for Dredd 2 and Dredd 3.
Holy fuck those budgets. For a billion he could do it F&F style and make 10 of them.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Last night I got through the end of Eos (or OREOS as I started calling it) and by the end it actually felt like a Mass Effect game. It has picked up a whole 'oregon trail' kinda vibe and that isn't a bad thing. They have added quite a bit of political subtext to the machinations of the Nexus people which could also be a good plotline, but I think the pacing of it is way off.

I would have started them out as all just so very happy to be no longer in deep shit and then only after things really seem to turn around should the backstabbing and infighting come out. Interacted with the crew and while the conversations were interesting enough, I think Bioware needs to step up their 'conversation' game for their next big main studio title. The whole dialogue system worked well for the original SWTOR/Jade Empire/Mass Effect era but it feels rather drawn out now and far less organic than it should be.

Turns out my problem with wrapping my brain around the crafting system was that one key element of the crafting system was locked behind a tutorial that only comes out at the end of EOS. In essence everything from the start of the game through the main EOS plotline is one giant 5 hour+ long tutorial. I do like that there are hooks to come back to EOS later on for additional things to do as that was one of the storytelling criticisms I always had with Mass Effect, that each planet seemed far too much like a self-contained chapter.

Some of the sidequests have turned out to be rather interesting and, again, its clear that there were some people working on these that knew what they were doing... but those quests are the ones furthest from the main path.

Oh and Cora? Cora is a lesbian. After listening to her go on, at length, about how awesome it was being an Asari Commando after having life be so rough as a human biotic there is no way that spikey haired witch wants a man. There are other human love interest options I think, at least going from the conversations which have a huge 'heart' option in them, so I don't really feel they needed to make her a universal love interest.

Personally I will never have Cora in my party simply because the writers have, yet again, created the 'oh I'm a broken doll' human biotic character with a sob-story about how life has been rough as a biotic and that I can't possibly understand... despite the fact that my Ryder is 100% biotic and actually has more biotics than her!

Last edited:

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Last night I got through the end of Eos (or OREOS as I started calling it) and by the end it actually felt like a Mass Effect game. It has picked up a whole 'oregon trail' kinda vibe and that isn't a bad thing. They have added quite a bit of political subtext to the machinations of the Nexus people which could also be a good plotline, but I think the pacing of it is way off.

It'll fade, soon. As soon as you go back down to Eos to finish up those quests left, it'll be gone and you'll be back to hating the game.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
The voice acting is very flat, many times the mouth movements are off the speech patterns.

One of the most annoying parts is when you talk to ppl sometimes they walk away and you have back to back conversations, I mean your looking south talking to a character looking north... or another conversation will start with another character at the same time and they will speak over each other.

Bad camera bad sound bad movement.
It's really poorly done.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Now at 6.5 hours, I'm still enjoying it despite the technical flaws.

The thing is I find the gameplay and story to be pretty much par for the course for Bioware games...all the issues I have are about technical aspect of the game, which while disappointing arre merely a distraction really.

I'll add to my list of complaints though, that I highly dislike the UI, not the in combat UI which is good, but the menus UI which has way too many subfolders to navigate through.

I think the difference of opinions on the game is mostly about what cause people to "trigger" in a game, or which aspect they can gloss over more easily. Technical issue and SJW are not things that cause me to trigger. On the other hand I hated Skyrim because I couldn't stand the awful combat in it. I think I tried to play it about 3 times because I really wanted to like it, but the combat is so bad that I could never make it past 5 hours mark or so.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I don't care for how the 'dynamic' cover works as Ryder seems very prone to standing up from cover in the middle of combat for no apparent reason. As frustrating as 'Division'-style sticky cover is on occasion I find this version even more annoying, especially when my nuts are being chewed off by one of those dog things and I don't notice right away.

I still am REALLY annoyed by the lack of squaddie control in combat as my team seems hell bent on using their abilities at entirely the wrong time in every possible situation. PeeBee is especially terrible at this as I've caught her tossing her mega-debuff ability at wildlife trash that dies in one shot rather than the huge honking armored monster thing that is trying to use Drax as dental floss.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I was reading what EA projected this as selling. 3 Million before the end of the month. And they didn't even bother to project lifetime sales - ME3 was 6 million I believe.

When EA doesn't talk about lifetime sales or possible lifetime sales, and is very hush hush / low balling expectations, they know they just shipped a pile of shit and anything that comes in over 3 million will be a success for them or meet expectations.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Now at 6.5 hours, I'm still enjoying it despite the technical flaws.

The thing is I find the gameplay and story to be pretty much par for the course for Bioware games...all the issues I have are about technical aspect of the game, which while disappointing arre merely a distraction really.

I'll add to my list of complaints though, that I highly dislike the UI, not the in combat UI which is good, but the menus UI which has way too many subfolders to navigate through.

I think the difference of opinions on the game is mostly about what cause people to "trigger" in a game, or which aspect they can gloss over more easily. Technical issue and SJW are not things that cause me to trigger. On the other hand I hated Skyrim because I couldn't stand the awful combat in it. I think I tried to play it about 3 times because I really wanted to like it, but the combat is so bad that I could never make it past 5 hours mark or so.

Agreed with this. Loving the game as a whole thus far but the menus/technical issues are a downside. I don't see them doing too much to remedy the menu issues, but hopefully the technical problems can get sorted over the life time of the game. I'm not using a controller (using k/m) so maybe its different, but I dont understand why its one button to open the map, but two to close it. If I hit M to bring the map up, esc or M again should close it, like in the other ME games.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Agreed with this. Loving the game as a whole thus far but the menus/technical issues are a downside. I don't see them doing too much to remedy the menu issues, but hopefully the technical problems can get sorted over the life time of the game. I'm not using a controller (using k/m) so maybe its different, but I dont understand why its one button to open the map, but two to close it. If I hit M to bring the map up, esc or M again should close it, like in the other ME games.

Real question. How do you stomach any of this voice acting, dialogue, and shit story?

That is a serious question. I mean, tastes and all that? But how? The only good side quest I did in the 10 hour trial was a murder investigation that ultimately led me to EOS and figuring out what really happened in the fray. But everything else, especially the main story line, is some of biggest hogwashed garbage I have ever seen in a video game, and that's not hyperbole. How in the year of our lord in 2017 can you find that garbage, with a lot of SJW undertones and analogies in damn near every single bit of dialogue SOMEWHERE within the Dialogue of any given cut scene or bypass chatter, along with that sweet dialogue wheel which amounts to "LETS DO THIS" or "NOPE LETS NOT", be anything close to keeping anyone vested in this game? And don't even get me started on wanting to invest the time to click through some of the other dialogue options to find out more about an annoying character that has no development what so ever, or if I do, find out "I used to be named Stephen. Now I am this. Feels good. Feels right". Or Cora's undertones of the same garbage with her Biotic garbage veiled in the same vein.

I am honestly trying to understand your mindset here and your opinion. I am trying not to be harsh or critical of your opinion until I understand how you find all this juvenile writing even remotely close to engaging.

Last edited:

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I am afraid I am a secret SJW fag because I haven't picked up on a single thing in 7 hours. Can you guys that make it sound like it is dripping with tumblr shit point some out to me. I'm not trying to argue with you or say you are wrong, I legit want to get some examples because I'm not picking it up and want to get an idea of if I'm just old and stupid or what.

The moron faces and eyes are funny but I've actually stopped noticing or caring. Dialogue pauses and cheesy lines are all over but I don't seem to get distracted by it thank god.

I hate my fucking companions. That so far is the biggest fuck you to the original.

ME1 had a quality crew. 2 was amazing. Some of the best companions of any game. All awesome. 3 was a major let down. But I would take even the stupid Mexican guy from three over the clones of singers Robyn and Mos Def that you start with.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Also got a bit giddy when meeting Tann and recognizing Kumail. Seems like some decent names on voices but it's al ancillary characters. Ryder's and companions voices blow.

• 1Salty

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Took me ages to realize that Lexi (the doctor) was Margaery Tyrell. I actually remembered, after the fact, that she was doing a voice but it did not immediately occur to me that it was her.

khorum

Murder Apologist
I am afraid I am a secret SJW fag because I haven't picked up on a single thing in 7 hours. Can you guys that make it sound like it is dripping with tumblr shit point some out to me. I'm not trying to argue with you or say you are wrong, I legit want to get some examples because I'm not picking it up and want to get an idea of if I'm just old and stupid or what.

The moron faces and eyes are funny but I've actually stopped noticing or caring. Dialogue pauses and cheesy lines are all over but I don't seem to get distracted by it thank god.

I hate my fucking companions. That so far is the biggest fuck you to the original.

ME1 had a quality crew. 2 was amazing. Some of the best companions of any game. All awesome. 3 was a major let down. But I would take even the stupid Mexican guy from three over the clones of singers Robyn and Mos Def that you start with.
The whole "gamergate hates bioware thats why the reviews are bad" thing only really assploded after Bioware tweeted that statement about folks harassing the racist dev that had left. People hate on the game because it's technical flaws are so bad they make for hilarious videos and memes.

Here's the thing: Horizon Zero Dawn is practically FULL-ON feminazi propaganda. It doesn't even fucking hide it. But the same youtubers and streamers who are shitting on MEA all heaped praise on that game. Just about anyone here who played it LOVES Horizon. I'm still cockblasting SJWs with a weaponized tweetdeck and I love Horizon.

So really if it's about agendas they why the fuck aren't people shitting on Horizon? Noone shits on Horizon because it's a polished, near-perfect game.

That's really what it comes down to---MEA is fine if you play it in a vacuum. It's flaws are only tolerable if you haven't played ANY of its contemporaries in the same release window. But the minute you compare it to anything recently or even earlier ME games, it's just shit.

• 1Like

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Utnayan Utnayan

I'll ask you a serious question. I know you played Horizons and loved it, I did too...one of the best game in a long time, and as I said before might very well be in my top 5.

I want to be clear that Horizons and ME:A are not in the same league. :)

But you seemed so triggered by SJW stuff...I wonder how you could even begin to enjoy Horizons...the entire fucking game is nothing but SJW.

Spoilers are for Horizons not Mass Effect.

The world was destroyed by machines created by a man. He based his machines on machines made by a woman that were "green" and helpful.

How was the world saved? That same woman, came up with a plan to save it.

She created a "female" nurturing AI to rebuild the world.

How did things get fucked up again. An evil "male" AI started to corrupt everything. Who build that AI, a man once again.

They had plans for knowledge to be preserved...who was in charge of that...a woman. Who fucked it up and destroyed it. Faro, a man, same guy who created the machines that destroyed the world in the first place.

So how do we fix everything? Well the godlike female AI creates a messiah type savior who is in the image of her builder, a female.

How is that hero we're playing. She's a fucking Mary Sue...that is the best at everything she does. She's in a society with barely any knowledge of technology, but picks it up whenever she encounters it. Understands concepts that are complex to understand even today...cool explanation, she's the messiah reborn...it's in her DNA.

So people are trying to stop her from doing this. Who are they? Well a man that discovered the evil AI, created a cult for it to thrive and destroy the world with. The leader of cult is a man of course.

Of course everyone in the end is defeated by Mary Sue.

And she destroy the evil AI...no wait. It survives with the help of a man...to most likely created more problem again for Aloy.

The game also makes sure to cover minorities. The supporting cast is diverse in ethnicity and sexual orientation. There is a gay NPC in one side quest. There's a character with strong hints of being a lesbian that seems to like Aloy.

There are so many quests that are about female empowerement. Either by tracking man who did them wrong, or taking care of them.

Again both games, not in the same class. But none of the SJW in Horizons bothered me...and so far after 6.6 hours in Mass Effect, I've seen much less than in Horizons.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The only cool voice is the kett leader. Dude sounds like the mcp from tron. Most sound effects are pretty bad. The worst is the shitty bass sound in the star navigation.