Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really liked the series and the impulse payday game purchase is killing me to not buy this. I will stay strong! Those animations are inexcusable, at least on a title like this.

Maybe in a year if anything gets patched and a gold edition with all dlc is 20 bucks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I will assume you have never worked for a dev house (I have not personally, but I have several friends who do), but during crunch time as well as early design meetings, people do all sorts of tasks and get to put their little stamp on things. As in, even managers are acting as code monkeys and animators to get the shit out the door. Regardless, the guy had an agenda and those sorts of people ALWAYS press it.

I'm not saying don't shit on the guy. He's done plenty worthy of being shit on. I'm just for accuracy in said shitting. Don't blame ass wipe for ME:A having a shit story because he most likely had nothing (Or at worst, very little) to do with it. Unless there is proof otherwise the continued claim that he was a writer is just false. Like I said, I've seen that claim all over, not just you. I just want some facts when tossing around the blame.

spronk

FPS noob
Eh - the models are bad, but I chalk that up to bad models, not SJW crap. And even if it is, it's subtle and just comes off as cartoonish - I was fine with the graphic style in SR3/4 and it comes across similar to me - yes, in SR3/4 it was an intentional choice and in ME:A it's because they either overshot performance and scaled back and/or diverted to cartoony at the last moment - but I'm OK with it. Shrug.

I'm pretty sure human females were "de-sexualized" at some point in this game by a fan of Aneeta Sarkesian, who has done a number of talks and videos on shit like "the male gaze", lack of non sexy females in video games, etc. Everyone's seen this image, the character on the right is the fem-ryder you get if you set your console to offline (no day one patch) and quick start the game, the one on the left is the result of the day one patch.

YJG7X48.jpg

as a reminder this is the model that fem ryder is supposed to be mo capped off:

T2EakOb.jpg

Beyond that yeah I'd agree I don't think ME:A has a ton of SJW trolling, but to me its bad enough to turn good looking chicks into ugly plastic fuck bois that I just couldn't buy the game, need game devs to be reminded that 90% of the launch day $60 msrp game buyers are dudes who like hot women and not trannies or asexual polymorph dragon furries

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm pretty sure human females were "de-sexualized" at some point in this game by a fan of Aneeta Sarkesian, who has done a number of talks and videos on shit like "the male gaze", lack of non sexy females in video games, etc. Everyone's seen this image, the character on the right is the fem-ryder you get if you set your console to offline (no day one patch) and quick start the game, the one on the left is the result of the day one patch.

View attachment 127916

View attachment 127917

Beyond that yeah I'd agree I don't think ME:A has a ton of SJW trolling, but to me its bad enough to turn good looking chicks into ugly plastic fuck bois that I just couldn't buy the game, need game devs to be reminded that 90% of the launch day $60 msrp game buyers are dudes who like hot women and not trannies or asexual polymorph dragon furries

Whoa, wtf? how did it go from that to ....this? how the fuck

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Say what...? Almost every single game has some better videos that it's got during development that get toned down later "due to performance". That's not being apologist, that's understanding the industry.

They are BAD models, made by people with an amateurish understanding of anatomy and even worse ability to animate them well. They don't look bad because someone told them to reduce the number of polygons in the meshes or the resolution of the textures.

Remember Watch Dogs 1 pre-release vs. final? That was chalked up to "performance issues" forcing them to tone down the graphic fidelity.

I see no reason to not believe the same might not be the case here - RPGs are notorious for stressing engines more - it looked MARKEDLY better than DA:I in the prerelease (the only other FB RPG I think, right?), and now it looks within the ballpark of DA:I (I'd say slightly worse characters - but it's not a drastic difference. The environments however are miles ahead of DA:I)

There is old footage out there of what ME:A used to look like. Much like Watch Dogs, the lighting was much more realistic back then. That quite obviously got toned down, because high end lighting and shadows are the first things that get cut when a game starts to chug.

[And no, you've probably not bought more games than me recently - 4 titles were asked, I answered only for those 4 - among some of those not listed I bought recently were TR20th, Dishonored 2, RE, Berserk, XCOM2 (plus rented Bioshock Collection, WD2) - as well as some digitals I bought for "slow times"]
RE7 yes, Berserk no, all the rest when they were new, plus Yakuza 0, Nioh, and NieR. So maybe not more, but just as many. Regardless, I still say that the recent glut of 90ish and up games should make one less willing to tolerate a colossal fuck up, not the other way around.

• 2Like

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/

View attachment 127916

View attachment 127917

Diana Moon Glampers patched the fuck outta that bitch.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Played a few hours now.

Wish i was not playing Zelda an HZD. those games blow this out of the water.

ME4 is to video games as i am to home improvement.
Sure i can get the job done, but its clearly done by an amateur and my wife is gong to ask someone else to fix it later.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Well, I put about 6 hours into it yesterday. I don't completely hate it. I'd say like a 6/10? Maybe that's being generous.

I dislike the Mako, I've pretty much always hated how characters move in the Mass Effect series so that quirkiness is still present, and when you get down to the first planet the game just gets to be a slog of doing simple fucking quests with somewhat decent (certainly not great) combat.

The crafting/drop system already seems fairly shitty. The mining from the mako is seriously a shit idea as far as I can tell. The fucking thing isn't radiation proof? What year is it again? How do these fuckers fly anywhere in space?

So we've got a semi-open world with gates and a bunch of boring quests. Not a great look.

Another oddity is it seems the game's animations/pop in get LESS polished as you go along. I didn't really notice things too far out of whack until further along and then it just seemed like a mess of pop in, bad texture swapping, funky animations, you name it.

The real crime here being this is supposed to be a AAA space rpg from a AAA company and what you have here is something extremely mediocre. It's not a 3/10, it's playable and I didn't completely hate my time with it, but there was absolutely none of the sense of awe and wonder you get from playing a game like Horizon.

This game feels like it was put together by the numbers, following a blueprint of DA: I and the previous ME games and a whole heaping of bad direction.

It's strange but I think I actually preferred the first ME over the rest of the series, I've never even played very far into ME3 but I did do some of that multiplayer. Took me years to beat ME2 and the best part about that game by far was the DLC that Bioware refuses to put on sale years after the fact.

This shit is bang on. Could not have said it better myself.

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
No one is even renting this at redbox. Lol. All the kiosks are full of the game.

• 2Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande

What the, maybe I have to go back and look on the planet again, but is this seriously how the Tempest lands? Its "front" landing leg is the fucking ramp? No closing this bitch up in bad weather? When you land on a planet better be fucking wearing full environmental gear?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Don't worry about the landing door. Think about how stupid it is that the nice native andromeda race can speak English but the evil native race can't speak English and you can't decipher a single word they say

nu_11

I really liked the series and the impulse payday game purchase is killing me to not buy this. I will stay strong! Those animations are inexcusable, at least on a title like this.

Maybe in a year if anything gets patched and a gold edition with all dlc is 20 bucks.

braveheart-hold-original.jpg

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I think it's a case of them trying to do too much, barring the animations and the ugly women. As some others have stated, playing through it does feel like you're in a ME game for about an hour, maybe two. But then you go back to the Tempest, start talking with Dr. Lexi again, it starts to fade. Then, you go down to a planet, see some kett there, hop out of your Nomad. No fucking place to hide, whatsoever. Then I tossed a singularity, they're just like, "Cool, she's blown her wad, let's rush!"

Fuuuuuuuuck.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Well, I put about 6 hours into it yesterday. I don't completely hate it. I'd say like a 6/10? Maybe that's being generous.

I dislike the Mako, I've pretty much always hated how characters move in the Mass Effect series so that quirkiness is still present, and when you get down to the first planet the game just gets to be a slog of doing simple fucking quests with somewhat decent (certainly not great) combat.

The crafting/drop system already seems fairly shitty. The mining from the mako is seriously a shit idea as far as I can tell. The fucking thing isn't radiation proof? What year is it again? How do these fuckers fly anywhere in space?

So we've got a semi-open world with gates and a bunch of boring quests. Not a great look.

Another oddity is it seems the game's animations/pop in get LESS polished as you go along. I didn't really notice things too far out of whack until further along and then it just seemed like a mess of pop in, bad texture swapping, funky animations, you name it.

The real crime here being this is supposed to be a AAA space rpg from a AAA company and what you have here is something extremely mediocre. It's not a 3/10, it's playable and I didn't completely hate my time with it, but there was absolutely none of the sense of awe and wonder you get from playing a game like Horizon.

This game feels like it was put together by the numbers, following a blueprint of DA: I and the previous ME games and a whole heaping of bad direction.

It's strange but I think I actually preferred the first ME over the rest of the series, I've never even played very far into ME3 but I did do some of that multiplayer. Took me years to beat ME2 and the best part about that game by far was the DLC that Bioware refuses to put on sale years after the fact.

So I went back and put a little more time into the game, and I agree with the above: 5 or 6/10:
  • I keep hitting bugs like doors not opening or consoles not working that require me to reload or even exit out and relaunch the game to resolve.
  • I think the Folder UI is easily the worst in any game I have played in a long while.
  • The open skill system system, rather than being a benefit, is actually a drawback, although not as much of one given that you can switch your skill loadout at any time.
  • Why have both a system where you can switch your "profile" on the fly, an open class system, and the ability to readily all of your points? It's like having free love, gay marriage, and partner swapping in a nudist colony. After a certain point, it's overkill.
  • Paragon and Renegade options in the larger pool of choices are gone, to be replaced by only two options: StarLord and SeriousFace. (hattip to SA for the starlord bit)
  • Model/textures/animations which have been done to death. There is a configfile option you can increase which will give a huge improvement, which I will have to look up; supposedly it at least gives you DA:I levels of textures. I did notice a lot of improvements coming out of the trial with the new drivers/day one patch/etc. Still lipstick on the pig, though.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

View attachment 127916

View attachment 127917

Dunno man.

A) The "Day One trick" doesn't function for me - dunno if I goofed how I did it or something, but I got shitty performance and the same shitty models cancelling out the patch and playing offline. (PS4)
B) Even the non-humans really don't look that good - not much better than ME3 if better at all.

Remember male Ryder is downgraded too (pretty obvious in his facial hair to me) and even the krogan squad mate Drask or whatever (blanking on his name ATM) is markedly down from previews.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
He was a gameplay designer. His responsibility would have been to help design the mechanics behind all the systems in the game. As far as I know no one really knows specifically what his area of responsibility was but it certainly was not writing or anything connected to the story.

He's listed under Gameplay Designer, not under the writers.

Side note, is that indicative of the music in the game? That shit blows. The soundtrack of ME:A compared to 1/2/3 must really blow.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Like no music at all? Are those like the sideshow "mining" planets though?

I don't suppose that's too huge a loss, from the few hours I've seen the music is yet another massive step down from previous ME games.