Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Perhaps that'll feel different once I get to the romance point (not that I really give much of a shit about them - usually just do them for trophy sake and ignore otherwise unless a character really resonates with me - i.e. Tali)

Start a new female character and use template 3 to build off of. Make her look attractive (its possible). Then, look at what the in game engine does to the face shape and textures in game. Hell, compare the early version of Ryder to the derpy one they changed to at the last minute....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I went ahead and bought Resident Evil and Soma.

Bioware saving me money.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Start a new female character and use template 3 to build off of. Make her look attractive (its possible). Then, look at what the in game engine does to the face shape and textures in game. Hell, compare the early version of Ryder to the derpy one they changed to at the last minute....

Eh - the models are bad, but I chalk that up to bad models, not SJW crap. And even if it is, it's subtle and just comes off as cartoonish - I was fine with the graphic style in SR3/4 and it comes across similar to me - yes, in SR3/4 it was an intentional choice and in ME:A it's because they either overshot performance and scaled back and/or diverted to cartoony at the last moment - but I'm OK with it. Shrug.

iannis

Musty Nester
Mass Effect: Let it die already

The look of it actually shocked me a little bit. I thought "this looks like a 10 year old game".

I'm not really shitting on it for that specifically. But I don't think it was even a choice. I think any actual artistic talent that they had at bioware is long gone and they honestly have no choice in the matter but to make it in unity. And I'm happy to shit on them for THAT.

For example, you can SEE the player character layer that they tossed on top of the game world. It's jarring. And for a game about "immersion" it completely wrecks it. I have to guess that the character is higher resolution or something than the game world so they thought it was a subtle thing... or I dunno. But you look at it and you can see the seam. Being able to see the seam is rarely a positive thing.

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
What exactly do you think this guy did on the game, given how much he was publicly masturbating over his agenda in relation to Andromeda?

He was a gameplay designer. His responsibility would have been to help design the mechanics behind all the systems in the game. As far as I know no one really knows specifically what his area of responsibility was but it certainly was not writing or anything connected to the story.

He's listed under Gameplay Designer, not under the writers.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You are going to LOVE Soma.

Game of the month too good choice!

John later left Obsidian to be the lead writer for Guerrilla's Horizon: Zero Dawn.

BTW no wonder Horizon so good. He wrote the survivalist in Fallout New Vegas Honest Hearts.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok I am going to have to go play that now. His name is John who? Got it. John Gonzales.

He rocks now.

Vorph

Eh - the models are bad, but I chalk that up to bad models, not SJW crap. And even if it is, it's subtle and just comes off as cartoonish - I was fine with the graphic style in SR3/4 and it comes across similar to me - yes, in SR3/4 it was an intentional choice and in ME:A it's because they either overshot performance and scaled back and/or diverted to cartoony at the last moment - but I'm OK with it. Shrug.
You cannot be serious there. And the part about it being because of performance rather than gross incompetence is absurd too.

It's one thing to like playing a game despite it being objectively bad, but you're crossing over into apologist territory here.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I can definitely see Andromeda being a piece of garbage for the type of person that buys one game a month and takes 1-2 months to complete each game.

This thing is a piece of garbage if the last game I played was Atlantis on Intellivision.

I do have a theory though. :p

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Yeah, I don't know why he keeps using that argument. I'm pretty sure I bought and played more games this year so far than what he described of his own purchases, and that's all the more reason to call ME:A out for what it is.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, my limited time doesn't make Andromeda a piece of shit. Andromeda being a piece of shit is what makes it a piece of shit. My limited time means I can't even fathom spending money on it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well, I put about 6 hours into it yesterday. I don't completely hate it. I'd say like a 6/10? Maybe that's being generous.

I dislike the Mako, I've pretty much always hated how characters move in the Mass Effect series so that quirkiness is still present, and when you get down to the first planet the game just gets to be a slog of doing simple fucking quests with somewhat decent (certainly not great) combat.

The crafting/drop system already seems fairly shitty. The mining from the mako is seriously a shit idea as far as I can tell. The fucking thing isn't radiation proof? What year is it again? How do these fuckers fly anywhere in space?

So we've got a semi-open world with gates and a bunch of boring quests. Not a great look.

Another oddity is it seems the game's animations/pop in get LESS polished as you go along. I didn't really notice things too far out of whack until further along and then it just seemed like a mess of pop in, bad texture swapping, funky animations, you name it.

The real crime here being this is supposed to be a AAA space rpg from a AAA company and what you have here is something extremely mediocre. It's not a 3/10, it's playable and I didn't completely hate my time with it, but there was absolutely none of the sense of awe and wonder you get from playing a game like Horizon.

This game feels like it was put together by the numbers, following a blueprint of DA: I and the previous ME games and a whole heaping of bad direction.

It's strange but I think I actually preferred the first ME over the rest of the series, I've never even played very far into ME3 but I did do some of that multiplayer. Took me years to beat ME2 and the best part about that game by far was the DLC that Bioware refuses to put on sale years after the fact.

• 1Like

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
He's listed under Gameplay Designer, not under the writers.

I will assume you have never worked for a dev house (I have not personally, but I have several friends who do), but during crunch time as well as early design meetings, people do all sorts of tasks and get to put their little stamp on things. As in, even managers are acting as code monkeys and animators to get the shit out the door. Regardless, the guy had an agenda and those sorts of people ALWAYS press it.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
After playing site 2 of Eos, BioWare can go fuck right off.

"Hai, ummm, you can play CoD shtyle. You can jump jhet arouns, and it'll be whicked aweshome!"

*hiding in a building just so I don't get my ass shot off*

Yeh. AWESOME.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah, all other complaints aside, if you play on Insanity, the Jet Pack might as well not exist since you actively get punished for existing outside of cover at that difficulty.

Vaclav

You cannot be serious there. And the part about it being because of performance rather than gross incompetence is absurd too.

It's one thing to like playing a game despite it being objectively bad, but you're crossing over into apologist territory here.

Say what...? Almost every single game has some better videos that it's got during development that get toned down later "due to performance". That's not being apologist, that's understanding the industry.

Remember Watch Dogs 1 pre-release vs. final? That was chalked up to "performance issues" forcing them to tone down the graphic fidelity.

I see no reason to not believe the same might not be the case here - RPGs are notorious for stressing engines more - it looked MARKEDLY better than DA:I in the prerelease (the only other FB RPG I think, right?), and now it looks within the ballpark of DA:I (I'd say slightly worse characters - but it's not a drastic difference. The environments however are miles ahead of DA:I)

Seriously, the game looks 2016-17 when it comes to the world design/world art - it's just the character models where it falls flat, which WERE amazing in pre-release videos... which tends to indicate something made them change at the last minute, being that it brought it back in line with the only other Frostbite RPG, it seems pretty logical that they were biting off too much to chew with the PR vids. Sure, it could be some SJW conspiracy theory - but I'm a believer in Occam's Razor.

[And no, you've probably not bought more games than me recently - 4 titles were asked, I answered only for those 4 - among some of those not listed I bought recently were TR20th, Dishonored 2, RE, Berserk, XCOM2 (plus rented Bioshock Collection, WD2) - as well as some digitals I bought for "slow times"]

Last edited:
  • 2Salty
Reactions: 1 users