Mass Effect: Andromeda - Autism reaches outer space

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What's more retarded about profiles is that I've maxed out everything I can actually use as a biotic with 126 points in that category, except that only puts me at rank 4 Adept. I need to spend a total of 232 points to hit rank 6 for max bonuses, but those extra 106 points are completely wasted. Obviously I'm not going to do that, since it will be far more effective to spend points on getting Pistol, AR, and Combat Fitness maxed in Combat, along with Aux Systems 4 (for +40% weapon weight allowance) and Team Support 6 in Tech. I'm not sure how many total points you get at 50, but if there's enough left only then will I consider pissing away points in Biotics to hit the 156 mark for rank 5 Adept.

Any of you who've beaten the game happen to know how many skill points you had at 50?

In fact, even if I were simply playing pure biotic ranged, I would likely stick with the VG profile because you get bum rushed so much that you need any shield regen you can get.
Unless you're into self-flagellation, just don't play pure biotic at all on any difficulty above Normal.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
If you are playing the Charge / Mele game, you kind of have to stick with the VG profile, anyhow. The mele based shield regeneration is too critical to give up for the higher Biotic Adept bonuses. In fact, even if I were simply playing pure biotic ranged, I would likely stick with the VG profile because you get bum rushed so much that you need any shield regen you can get.

I'm pure Biotic but never seem to have much of an issue getting rushed / into melee combat. Then again I tend to stay pretty far away in general just stand there with Backlash active when I'm not actively attacking. The Ket, in particular, are super good at killing themselves with the Backlash reflective damage.

There are definite signs of a troubled development cycle with this game in terms of how uneven some elements of the game are. There are hints that the skill system used to be almost identical to ME3 with unlocked Paragon Powers and some signs of a more open-world "go explore" system for the planets rather than specific questing. I am eager to see a Post Mortem on the game in a year or three to learn to what extent there was parallel development / mass changes made to segments of the game as a result of tectonic shifts in the story and style of the title.

More than anything else, however, I feel like I'm playing Destiny half of the time. This is in no small part due to the fact that I'm fighting the Hive and the Vex (Ket and Remnant).

Last edited:

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are you playing on Insanity? On Insanity, the Kett like to warp in buddies to your rear a lot. Also, the remnants just fly wherever and use their snuffatron beams on you.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Unless you're into self-flagellation, just don't play pure biotic at all on any difficulty above Normal.

Yeah this. You might as well play a tech guy at that point, since its the same sort of mechanics without your powers being made mostly useless by shields. The cooldowns on even a maxed biotic are so attrocious for anything other than charge that you are nearly always better off firing a gun to do damage and, beyond puss mode, 90% of the enemies are basically immune to your crowd control. I guess with how bad everything else was in this game, expecting decent balance for biotics was foolish.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Are you playing on Insanity? On Insanity, the Kett like to warp in buddies to your rear a lot. Also, the remnants just fly wherever and use their snuffatron beams on you.

Ahhh no I'm not playing on insanity as I immediately recognized that without Companion Ability Control playing on Insanity seemed ludicrous.

spronk

FPS noob
W3 also had a much shorter development cycle and did not have the massive side help Bioware could throw at it from other studios. Basically, hiring by ideology instead of merit leads to shit like this. Next time, hire more asians and honkeys.

Thats the weird thing, if you take this pic at face value and its the team that worked on this game, its like 99% white dudes
C7YHFX9XkAEr6Y7.jpg

i see 1 black guy TOTAL over 100+ people (which is funny considering how diverse these places say they are), like 15 women (only 1 with weird hair), maybe 10 asians, but its pretty much a sea of 20-40 something white guys. I wonder if a bunch of people got fired or quit when it became apparent the game totally sucks? Hopefully next year GDC has a post mortem on this game from insiders.

that rag'n'bone man dude who sings the I'm Only Human song is awesome, he was on Graham Norton show a few weeks ago (I think the High Jackman / Patrick Stewart one?) and his normal voice is super british

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Part of me actually likes elements of the Research and Development system, but they fucked up by having the 'augment' research produce only the one augment and not giving you a way to use Development resources to make more of them and instead add those to the Loot Table of things you defeat. As a result there is no way you are going to use but a small percent of the things you could, potentially, make since you level up far faster than you acquire resources necessary to build thing.

While mulling over my decision to make some N7 armor at level 30 I was keenly aware of how very smart Guerrilla Games was with their item / crafting system in Horizon. While I was, at times, in need of resources in Horizon and would seek materials in order to accomplish something, at no point was I feeling intense trepidation about building ANYTHING for fear I'd be wasting something that would be almost impossible to replace. I've even been using my phone to send out Strike Teams all week which come back with fairly substantial supplies of both credits and resources. I can't imagine trying to deal with the crafting system if you avoided multiplayer / APEX entirely.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
Bleh misread what I had responded to. Anyway, it's fucking hilarious watching streamers play this now. Dansgame was all hyped and apologetic early on, and now hes just rushing through the game so he can finish and be done with it, apologizing to his stream as he goes. Jesus as argumentative and dysfunctional as this forum can be I bet we could have pushed out something way better than this for a fraction of the cost.

• 1Like

Vaclav

Any of you who've beaten the game happen to know how many skill points you had at 50?

Technically speaking there's at least 80 levels based on the tradeskill shit - since there's recipes that need L80 to purchase.

goishen

Macho Ma'am

This. I'm playing it on Hardcore mode, have singularity maxxed out (one of two of the primers. For a biotic. /facepalm), have throw, maxxed out, have two passives just about maxxed out.

Spent 20-30 minutes fighting the Cardinal last night (the thing that's supposed to take the place of the banshee) in the kett base on Voeld. It was fucking ridiculous.

sukik

Dan is streaming the end of this right now. So glad I didn't spend any money or time on this.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah that is basically the first boss fight in the game and its hilariously poorly tuned. The dude spams AE shield strip and cooldown delay, is invincible until you kill his dodgy little pet thing (that he respawns less than a minute after you kill it, has a ridiculous health bar, and has sync kills. At least when you drop his shields he can be CCed by Singularity (then detonate with Charge and run for your life), but the fight takes a half hour if you do everything right and one fuckup means you get sync killed and have to redo the entire room before he spawns again. If you could control the power use of squadmates, the fight would be over in 5 minutes since you could just combo detonations off the pet to burn him down. But, nope, all you can count on is your own powers with long ass cooldowns (the longest of which is the one viable primer for a biotics) and spend eternity grinding the guy down 5% of his health at a time, between spark pets. I think they literally just took the MP version of this guy (who is ok there, since humans can coordinate their combos) and just plopped him in the game, without accounting for their shitty squadmate AI. I simply cannot believe that part of the game was ever tested on Insanity.

If its any consolation, goishen goishen the game does get less cancerous aver Voeld, at least on the combat front. Also, if you are going to go biotic at all, get the N7 suit made and in the loot tables so the better ones start dropping.

Djevel Innenfor

Golden Squire
Yeah I'm not a dan fan but it was hilarious watching his will to play crumble as I checked in periodically. It seems to happen to most of the streamers I have looked at. Angryjoe is another one. He had a meltdown over multiplayer and it was pretty epic. I think he youtubed that one.

Edit: yup here it is

• 1Like

sukik

There are a couple times during the 20 minutes I spent watching the ending where I was laughing so hard I was crying at the animation, scenario and dialogue combination. It was schlock B movie bad. If it didn't take so long I'd be tempted to play it for the lulz when it's under 10$. I think I'll take that 10$ and watch Geostorm (Geostorm (2017) - IMDb) in the theater instead and get a more concentrated B movie experience.

Vaclav

Spent 20-30 minutes fighting the Cardinal last night (the thing that's supposed to take the place of the banshee) in the kett base on Voeld. It was fucking ridiculous.

Get a sniper rifle. They're 5 min fights for me tops for me on Insanity. (At least now that I know how to handle them - first was long, but that was learning process)

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I use an Assault Rifle with the "auto targeted" plasma bolt thing. (Weight is a major issue as a Space Wizzy Biotic). You might think this would be a really useful weapon against the Cardinals... you would be wrong. The 'seeking' bolts happily impact on his shield and even dodge out of the way around the sphere to impact on his shield.

Vaclav

I use an Assault Rifle with the "auto targeted" plasma bolt thing. (Weight is a major issue as a Space Wizzy Biotic). You might think this would be a really useful weapon against the Cardinals... you would be wrong. The 'seeking' bolts happily impact on his shield and even dodge out of the way around the sphere to impact on his shield.

The "Seeking Plasma" thing honestly has felt like a downgrade on any weapon I've bothered with. Seems like it both downgrades the base damage (not listed on stats if it does though) AND removes any chance of precision shooting. I'd stopped bothering with Seeking Plasma by the time I dealt with an "Ascendant" (that seems the generic name after you bump into more - Cardinal was that specific one apparently) I can only imagine how god awful it was.

Neat thing I just learned though was that the Asari Sword (melee weapon) has a little warp leap/minicharge tied in with it. With that and it's high damage it's been surprisingly effective even with zero melee focus on Ins.