Mass effect Remastered - Legendary Edition - 2021

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never paid much attention to them, but Bioware romances would feel better if they all didn't turn the NPC, no matter what their personality is, into the same identical simpering garbage marketed toward incels and cat ladies. I just wanted Jack to stay angry and closed up through some good, old fashioned hate fucks inbetween trashing Cerebrus and aliens or whatever.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I dunno why all these Bioware games have so many fucking sidequests. Modern games have too many sidequests in general, even an otherwise great game like HZD has a zillion side quests and most of them are bad.

DA3 would have been a great game with less stupid sidequests and less annoying companions.

The only game I can think of right now that had sidequests worth a shit was Witcher 3; and that was because they put so much effort and thought into the story of each one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenas

Trump's Staff
ME1 had some good side quests but I hate getting to a new location and it's just 10 random threads to pick up and resolve for a random item. I loved the quest where you search for the missing captain or whatever through a few systems and eventually come across your first Thresher Maw because of it? Been a long time.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I dunno why all these Bioware games have so many fucking sidequests. Modern games have too many sidequests in general, even an otherwise great game like HZD has a zillion side quests and most of them are bad.

DA3 would have been a great game with less stupid sidequests and less annoying companions.

I blame CICD, Agile, and everything about the modern development cycle/style. Disjointed development teams operating nearly independently from one another on the same project. Or too many people allocated to "quests" without tying them to fewer spaces being created. DA2 felt like you covered a lot of land mass, over which all of the quests were spread. DA3 felt... Bigger. But because you did so much in one area, it made it feel a lot smaller. I had the same problem with Metal Gear V.

Shit, even Red Dead Redemption 2 suffered from this a bit, and that shit was literally massive, and had you going all over the place (but after 100 hours trolloping across countryside, it all starts to blend together - though I did find myself focusing on avoiding small rocks so that I didn't fly off the horse when the stupid game would act like I hit a wall at full speed).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Holy shit, something I actually agree with Mist on!

This doesn't just plague BioWare games though. Bethesda is another large offender. In fact, I feel like most RPGs nowadays are littered with unnecessary sidequests. I feel like there is a lot that gets missed or forgotten in games now, because you're so inundated with quests that the more memorable moments get lost in the weeds. By the time I'm halfway through a lot of RPGs now, I just want the game to fuckin' end already and rush the last 40% or so of the game. It's a lot of the reason why you're seeing such a big surge of popular "indie" games that keep things relatively short, simple, and "stupid".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

It’s because everyone expects a 50+ hour game now for $60+ and I guess most companies aren’t creative enough or have enough time to make a ton of actually compelling side quests like Witcher 3 did. So instead we fetch ten bear asses or go find five cats or whatever cause it’s a lazy way to add 15 hours to your game so people don’t pan it for being too short.

Recently I played through FF7 and every single side quest was lame as fuck and just shoehorned in. My playtime after beating the game was 40 hours...so if they didn’t have those, even though they didn’t add a fucking thing to the game, people would say the game was way too short at 25-30 hours.

• 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
The newer Assassin's Creeds are super guilty of this too. People bitched about collecting items, so they added in sidequests. Which I guess is better but there is such thing as beating a dead horse. But then on the flip side if you had this huge open world like AC Odyssey with no sidequests it would feel barren with no point to any of the shit in it. Thats why I believe still that open world games are a shitty way to pad out low content games and much prefer a well crafted linear game. Never understood why linear games get so much hate in the gaming communities.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I don't think linear games get that much hate. I think linear games that lead you down literal hallways for the entirety get hated on. I'd classify God of War as a linear game, but it doesn't feel like it because they do just enough to distract you from that.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I don't think linear games get that much hate. I think linear games that lead you down literal hallways for the entirety get hated on. I'd classify God of War as a linear game, but it doesn't feel like it because they do just enough to distract you from that.

They did a good job making a hallway feel like a field or a mountain, but it was still a hallway.

FF13 broke me for hallways

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Agree. There are games that are hallways but just making them open enough to not feel like it or packing them with content alleviates that problem for me. Gears of War, Dark souls, God of War etc are very restricted in where you can go but they’re packed with content and shit going on and it doesn’t ever feel like you’re stuck in a hallway. FF13, FF7 remake are good examples of feeling way too hallway. FF7r you’re running around hallways of junk heaps and streets that are so narrow you have to slow down to squeeze through lots of spots. Areas fenced off by a downed road sign or safety pylon...come on.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Agree. There are games that are hallways but just making them open enough to not feel like it or packing them with content alleviates that problem for me. Gears of War, Dark souls, God of War etc are very restricted in where you can go but they’re packed with content and shit going on and it doesn’t ever feel like you’re stuck in a hallway. FF13, FF7 remake are good examples of feeling way too hallway. FF7r you’re running around hallways of junk heaps and streets that are so narrow you have to slow down to squeeze through lots of spots. Areas fenced off by a downed road sign or safety pylon...come on.
To think, some asshole had to code in the squeeze between shit animation. Another thing that padded the playtime, or gave it enough time to load the other area. Fucking load times have gotten excruciating, and likely the only reason I'll ever get a PS5/XSX. Avengers spends five minutes loading for five minutes of hallway action on the X1X.

ME2 was pretty bad about the whole hallway thing. And has you backtracking a little. I recall going back and forth through one of the earlier segments several times for the water supply quest or whatever.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
To think, some asshole had to code in the squeeze between shit animation. Another thing that padded the playtime, or gave it enough time to load the other area. Fucking load times have gotten excruciating, and likely the only reason I'll ever get a PS5/XSX. Avengers spends five minutes loading for five minutes of hallway action on the X1X.

ME2 was pretty bad about the whole hallway thing. And has you backtracking a little. I recall going back and forth through one of the earlier segments several times for the water supply quest or whatever.
Yeah, I really struggle playing my ps4 anymore...the load times are crazy. Going to that after playing something on PC with no load times is painful.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Anthem on my PC would load in about 6 seconds. I was constantly getting kicked out for "afk" because I had to wait 2 fucking minutes for whatever hamster wheel other users had for a hard drive before they would load in. Otherwise I would end up at the next checkpoint forcing them to hit another load screen. Was hilarious, but also really, really annoying.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The newer Assassin's Creeds are super guilty of this too. People bitched about collecting items, so they added in sidequests. Which I guess is better but there is such thing as beating a dead horse. But then on the flip side if you had this huge open world like AC Odyssey with no sidequests it would feel barren with no point to any of the shit in it. Thats why I believe still that open world games are a shitty way to pad out low content games and much prefer a well crafted linear game. Never understood why linear games get so much hate in the gaming communities.
I know personally I feel a bit exhausted of open world RPG games. I realized this after failing to get through Witcher3 and Breath of the Wild, both magnificent games but I've just done so many iterations of the same thing. From Rogue to Ultima to FF to NES Zelda all the way through Baldur's Gate, TES, GTA, Witcher, Dragon Age, everything has so many similar components and requires so much time. I'm betting that most of the target demo for AC: Odyssey was totally excited by the side quests I just kind of sigh at.

These days I feel like the gamer version of a sexual deviant. Unless something is unique or half-baked because it's early access or independent I can't even get hard. I spent more time in Outward than I did in AC: Odyssey not because it was better, but because it was kind of fucked up and broken.

spronk

FPS noob

rtNloQk.png

releases in 9 days

• 1Mother of God

spronk

FPS noob
not at launch, EA usually puts all their games on EA Play (free with gamepass) after 6-12 months