Mass effect Remastered - Legendary Edition - 2021

spronk

FPS noob
official launch tomorrow may 14th (midnight tonight), certain regions like New Zealand have it unlocked already so people are VPNing to unlock it on PC/xbox and reviewers/streamers have early keys

remaster is SP only no multiplayer so doesn't really matter unless you have FOMO

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
official launch tomorrow may 14th (midnight tonight), certain regions like New Zealand have it unlocked already so people are VPNing to unlock it on PC/xbox and reviewers/streamers have early keys
dear lord, why would you buy it digital, it'd take up 1/3 the hd space

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Damn that's a huge install. I'm going to have to upgrade to a 1TB SSD soon.

spronk

FPS noob
its a BC game so you can play on an external drive no problem too on console, but i'll be playing on my SSD on ps5 since i really only play 1 game at a time

EA is giving away the deluxe contents from older ME2/ME3 to everyone as well until May 31st, its a 1.7 gig zip archive of art, comics, music, etc

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
80-85GB really isn't that large these days anyway. Sucks on PS5 because the storage in it is a sad joke and Sony is still retarded and makes you keep a ridiculous amount of space free on top of the actual installation reqs in order to do anything, so that'd be the distant third platform of choice imo.

So what's the final verdict on biotics in ME1--do they still pierce shields or are Adepts gimped to uselessness on anything above game journalist difficulty like in ME2/3?

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The reviews I been reading and watching are all positive. I never really gotten into the Mass Effect series since sci-fi games were never my thing but I love everything about space and the universe. Will definitely give it a try on Steam. Out of curiosity which of the trilogy in order is best to worst?

For me its 2-1----------------------3

The combat in 2 was much better, so not sure if it would be the same if the gameplay's been normalized.

3 is objectively the worst, though, and anyone that says different is a piece of shit who cannot be trusted

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
if you have gamepass you can still preorder ME Legendary for $48 -- $54 with EA Play 10% discount, and you get 6k points ($6) if you activate the MS Rewards app offer first. Easiest way is to start your xbox, install/run the MS Rewards app, sign in, and follow the button for ME Legendary 6000 points offer to preorder.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The reviews I been reading and watching are all positive. I never really gotten into the Mass Effect series since sci-fi games were never my thing but I love everything about space and the universe. Will definitely give it a try on Steam. Out of curiosity which of the trilogy in order is best to worst?
I think with this trilogy the distinction of best to worst isn't that meaningful, since if you're a new player it's recommended to play them in order.

But 2>1>3.

2 is objectively better than 1 in most technical regards (graphics, gameplay) and the storyline is a bit more engaging. 1 has a special place in my heart because it introduced the world, was more open world and I enjoyed the planet exploration->mako gameplay loops. I really enjoyed the over-the-top squadmates in 2 that really felt like a mega-wealthy person hand-picked them instead of the typical party-RPG where you find a bunch of interesting losers who grow with you.

3 was a great game, especially if you enjoyed the multiplayer as much as I did, and it had technical improvements over 2 while having a lot of great story sequences. However it was heavily marred by its ending and a few elements interspersed throughout the game. I've heard the updates address them but the ending is fundamentally flawed and by the time ME3 came out, Bioware's talent pool was so degraded they couldn't really finish the series properly.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think with this trilogy the distinction of best to worst isn't that meaningful, since if you're a new player it's recommended to play them in order.

But 2>1>3.

2 is objectively better than 1 in most technical regards (graphics, gameplay) and the storyline is a bit more engaging. 1 has a special place in my heart because it introduced the world, was more open world and I enjoyed the planet exploration->mako gameplay loops. I really enjoyed the over-the-top squadmates in 2 that really felt like a mega-wealthy person hand-picked them instead of the typical party-RPG where you find a bunch of interesting losers who grow with you.

3 was a great game, especially if you enjoyed the multiplayer as much as I did, and it had technical improvements over 2 while having a lot of great story sequences. However it was heavily marred by its ending and a few elements interspersed throughout the game. I've heard the updates address them but the ending is fundamentally flawed and by the time ME3 came out, Bioware's talent pool was so degraded they couldn't really finish the series properly.
*Weren't allowed too. Mac Walters locked himself in a room and shat out that RGB turd. That isn't to say ME3 is otherwise stellar. I mean, unless Mac is responsible for Kai Lang and other questionable decisions.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

But 2>1>3.

2 was only better from a gameplay standpoint. I think people rate it higher because it was such a huge leap forward from 1 on that front.

2 completely shit on all your former companions and essentially made them mostly background characters. They filled this void with companions that are mostly just "there" and aside from a few, had fucking terrible stories/missions. Harbinger was nowhere near as cool as Sovereign. Plus, the whole collector shit wasn't nearly as intriguing as a "minor bad" as Saren was.

2 really got saved by big gameplay improvements and the fact that Mordin Solus is one of the greatest video game characters ever who basically ADCed the franchise.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
did they fix all the bad stuff w/ one like the exploring and the elevator?

or was it just a graphical face lift?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
One definitely had the best story by far but the gameplay was pretty bad, nigh unplayable by modern standards. The whole ending sequence with the fight through and around the surface of the citadel was so awesome that they had to basically copy it in Destiny 2.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
did they fix all the bad stuff w/ one like the exploring and the elevator?

or was it just a graphical face lift?
Not sure what you mean by 'exploring'? The Mako? It got a controls overhaul, or you can use the original style if you're an extreme masochist.

Elevator loads almost instantly on XSX (and I assume on PS5 or PC with a good SSD). You can still listen to the conversations between companions if you want or you can press A to load in immediately.

Biggest change in ME1 though is that there's a new XP mode that makes it so you don't have to replay the game with the same character to have any chance of hitting max level.

One definitely had the best story by far but the gameplay was pretty bad, nigh unplayable by modern standards. The whole ending sequence with the fight through and around the surface of the citadel was so awesome that they had to basically copy it in Destiny 2.
I'd agree that the shooting was terrible, but that's because it wasn't actually a shooter and everything was really being controlled by the underlying RPG mechanics. Biotics were vastly more fun to use in ME1 compared to the sequels, other than the one particular niche that Vanguard Charge filled.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
2 was only better from a gameplay standpoint. I think people rate it higher because it was such a huge leap forward from 1 on that front.

2 completely shit on all your former companions and essentially made them mostly background characters. They filled this void with companions that are mostly just "there" and aside from a few, had fucking terrible stories/missions. Harbinger was nowhere near as cool as Sovereign. Plus, the whole collector shit wasn't nearly as intriguing as a "minor bad" as Saren was.

2 really got saved by big gameplay improvements and the fact that Mordin Solus is one of the greatest video game characters ever who basically ADCed the franchise.
I don't know how you can say that ME2's squad are mostly just "there" in ways that ME1's are not. I think it comes down to how much you like each characters. The only squad mates I really liked in ME1 was Garrus and Wrex.

Part of the reason I liked Jack in ME2 was just because her ability launched enemies into the air for me and Garrus to use for target practice.

spronk

FPS noob
if you wanna play on xbox you can play now, its unlocked in NZ and super easy to unlock on xbox. Just boot up, go to settings, Select Settings > All Settings > System > Language & location and change location at the bottom to New Zealand. It'll download a 25 meg language pack and reboot and you can start/download the game. 22 gig install for ME1, another 30 or so each for ME2 and ME3, and a 30 gig update for the whole thing.

I just did it to start the downloads and will play in an hour or two. You have to leave it as NZ until the game unlocks in USA at 9pm PST tonight, then can change back and keep going. No VPN or shenanigans required, and people have done it for years without Microsoft giving a shit.

file-EtuJYsjZfz.png

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't know how you can say that ME2's squad are mostly just "there" in ways that ME1's are not. I think it comes down to how much you like each characters. The only squad mates I really liked in ME1 was Garrus and Wrex.

Part of the reason I liked Jack in ME2 was just because her ability launched enemies into the air for me and Garrus to use for target practice.
I feel like ME1's companions grew relatively organically and made "sense" in a way that ME2's didn't. For the most part, ME2's companions may as well have just been faceless redshirts.

Does anyone actually remember people like Jacob? Kasumi? Samara/Morinth? Grunt? For the most part, the best companions in ME2 were the carryovers from ME1 like Tali and Garrus. Sure, there were some standouts like Legion and Mordin, but then then 3 went and shit all over Legion and almost Mordin. Mordin was mostly redeemed by going out like a total boss, but it had to be him.