Massive Chalice - New Double Fine Kickstarter

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, but I see now that the lead developer is actively commenting on their forum about what other people posting about the same issues, so hopefully those particular things will all be resolved.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Key takeaways from other forum: highest level adventurers should become regent (as long as good fertility), I was using my highest level adventurers as crucible trainer, but supposedly that doesn't work as fast (although I imagine with giant family trees later on it would add more. You should power-level/twink up specific heroes for your breeding pair (ie: getting them all the killing blows), which again is easier to do with hunters.

The reason I fell behind is I think I had a lot less combat than average early on for my playthrough.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh, but I see now that the lead developer is actively commenting on their forum about what other people posting about the same issues, so hopefully those particular things will all be resolved.
what forums?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/15169/

Posted by: their lead dev
This is a great discussion you guys! We definitely feel like you sort of HAVE to build a second Keep right away. I don't think anyone on the team would disagree with that. And that's kind of a bummer! We've discussed some alternatives to this, but there are several issues:

1) I want you to be the one to place the building. Region bonuses are interesting and there are several things to think about when you build!
2) I want you to be the one to choose who the Regent and Partner are.

We had one possible idea about having 2 Keeps when you start the game. One is already full and one is empty (the one that you fight in first). When you come back to strategy for the first time you would need to visit Keep 1 and be able to inspect the Regent and Partner that you didn't pick, then you would be instructed to go to Keep 2 (the one that you just saved) and retire a new Regent and Partner. We ended up not doing this because it breaks both 1 AND 2 on my list above! Kind of a bummer.
frown.png

The one nice thing about this solution is that it also helps combat the "15 year gap problem" that you guys called out in this thread as well. Keep 1, the already-populated Keep, could have some amount of children in it at year 0, meaning you would have a hero come of age earlier than year 15. That would be pretty nice! Overall I still don't love this solution and I think

@Sebmono - I think you are catching on!
biggrin.png
! The Recruitment and Adoption features were buffed in order to allow you to use them to get your Bloodlines cranking!
biggrin.png
!

Also I don't think it's that bad right now. Even if you feel compelled to build Keep 2 immediately and you do that every time, I think that your second research choice is up for heavy debate - I personally want that Health Vial ASAP and I'm willing to delay additional infrastructure development for a few years in order to secure a safer tactical party! You can also make a debate for Keep 3, Crucible 1, or Guild 1. I think there are plenty of interesting directions to move in after you build Keep 2!

Agraza

Registered Hutt
huh. did not know this existed. the premise is very appealing. sux to be you people that had to wait all this time to play it. ignorance is bliss.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, the premise is VERY good... and they have the execution down really damned good so far, I mean it plays in many ways it's a lot more like the original xcom than the remake was. I'm finding replayability is good too, not quite FTL levels, but definitely up there.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
This game is now on Steam early access. I'll wait for comments, mainly how it compares to X-Com.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This game is now on Steam early access. I'll wait for comments, mainly how it compares to X-Com.
Hilarious because that is the first thing my friend said and he (nor I) know really nothing about the game except what we knew we when Kickstarted it.

Caliane

I would really recommend NOT giving Doublefine Early access money. They now have several failures to ship completed games, from crowd funded sources.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah I decided the game doesn't interest me to break my "Eff Early Access Games" stance. I'll wait for the final release and probably pick it up.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I would really recommend NOT giving Doublefine Early access money. They now have several failures to ship completed games, from crowd funded sources.
Which games? I seriously don't know.

Caliane

Double Fine Misadventure: First Major Kickstarter Game Hits A Snag - Forbes
Broken age. they ran out of money for. Twice.

Spacebase DF-9 Development To Cease, Game To Release | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Also ran out of money for Spacebase df9 and released 1.0 "as is".

I'd say "the cave" was a bit content light as well honestly..
Doublefine has shown they are pretty terrible with money it seems.

(also, phil Fish, san fran GG journo list dance fucking party 3 days after pushing Spacebase df9 out the door/abandoning).

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thanks, I hadn't gone over those at all.I loved the idea of the game, so I plunked in the kickstarter at $100. I'm really digging it now (though it needs some tweaks) and gave away my other beta and retail copies. Hopefully they don't let this die.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
This game is legit. I backed both this and Broken Age and am still fine with what I gave them. I only backed each project for a digital copy of the game, though, so I can see why some would be pissed.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I backed it for a digital copy, and just with what they have now it is worth the money. With some polish and tweaks it will be a very fun game for at least a couple dozen hours. And easily one that you could come back to in several months/years as well.

Caliane

Double Fine has suffered layoffs after a deal for an unannounced project fell through.
Double Fine confirmed the layoffs in a statement to IGN. Twelve of the company's workers were let go as a result of the unexpected cancellation of the unnamed game.
Layoffs Hit Double Fine - IGN

They say, other games are not effected by this, and the layoffs are only relevant to the cancelled title.
But, my personal trust for Doublefines money management is about zero.

Adding to that, heres a news story from back in 2010, where Kotick calls Schafer out for failing to meet milestones, and stay on budget.
Activision Boss Bobby Kotick Blasts EA, Tim Schafer, and Former Infinity Ward Leads | Shacknews