Master of Orion

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Came to the thread to read up on the new game....and instead get to watch tad10 go POHR in full "fangurl" defense of the whole game....

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Count me in as one of those people who wants a re-skinned, updated MOO2 /shrug I would pay $50 for that. Wasting money for voice acting hurts though, as I usually turn all sound off so I can listen to music/watch tv. Money better spent on an AI guy.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
In all honestly, a prettied up Moo2 with some tweaks that worked on tablets would have sold shitloads. The tablet market has dogshit for 4x game options right now.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Immediate impression before starting a game proper (my machine's got an issue right now where it's spontaneously rebooting at times... and it did that as selecting race) - in the options menu there is a Turn Off GNN option - so no worries if they get too annoying, I suppose.

Update #1: Neat has "seeds" for generating a universe - so you could easily repeat a universe if you want. Nice option.

Update #2: Had first tactical combat - a) Still skippable if you want, b) It's not micromanagement heavy like RTS terming worried me of - paused it, set basic movement and target and it ran fine without micromanagement.

Update #3: "Spacelanes" do have limits to exploration due to different types of "wormholes" that make up the spacelanes that require higher tech to navigate, to emulate something similar to old range limits without quite as much frustration with a bad seed.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Anyone take the plunge?
It's very good and addicting for a game just out of alpha, but it needs work before it's ready for prime-time.

Issues in no particular order.

1. Current tech tree is mostly "all of the above" - MOO needs selective techs, it is the engine that drives diplomacy (or at least human diplomacy in MOO2), espionage and ship boarding. Not to mention it diminishes the value of each tech you get via research.

2. Tactical Battle needs work. A lot of work. A fuckton of work. That said there's a lot of potential there for WG, particularly for multiplayer, potentially could add more than two players to a combat which means alliances would potentially mean something; potentially.

3. Missing a lot of stuff right now (4 races, customized races, independent planets, espionage, no Tactical at all in MP, but that's coming).

But had a blast in an MP game earlier today and about to start an SP game.

Starlanes are cool and maps now have an impact on play. Was in a game (Seed is 35370 for MP Edit: Turns out SP/MP and Galaxy Size matter for seeds, Galaxy size is small and I was the second player, so you can't replicate this seed in single player currently.) as Humans where they were Australia in Risk. Exactly one warp lane leading out from Sol. However because of that, and because Psilons were very close to me I had to pump out a second colony ship to take Centauri before Psilons did or they could cut me off.

Anyway, here's the latest quote from WG on current development:

Welcome letter from the Devs. Important info regarding EA1
Hello everyone and thanks for playing Master of Orion!
We hope that you enjoy the game at this early stage.

Even though MoO is very playable, stable and quite a lot of fun already, this is still a game in development.

As a first step, we wanted to share this handy list of issues that you may encounter and some things to look forward too!

Multiplayer

The focus of EA1 was the single player experience but we decided to include Multiplayer so we can start testing the game in real conditions as soon as possible. Even when MoO has been developed with multiplayer in mind, the multiplayer experience needs a lot of work and may not be as stable yet.

Known issues with Multiplayer in order of severity:

The game may crash if the host gets disconnected.
When an AI takes control of a disconnected player, diplomacy with that AI is broken.
Rules of engagement for simultaneous turns are not implemented (this alone generates a great deal of conflicts when multiple players try to do the same thing at the same time).
There's a lock when a player goes into options after pressing next turn and then another player presses Next Turn.
Sometimes the combat screen may not appear (even though the combat actually takes place).
Some minor bugs with the Chat window

AI
As you may know AI is something very difficult to build when the rules of the game are in constant change. We iterated a lot during the development of this game and the AI just started coming along in the last few months. We have a lot of ambition with our AI design and this will be one of the major areas of improvement during Early Access.

AIKnown issues with AI
AI is still not challenging enough, specially at late stages in the game.
Diplomatic AI may have unexpected behaviors.
Tactical AI is very basic and in some cases very exploitable.

Tactical Mode:
The Tactical mode is another of the features that will receive more attention during Early Access

Known issues with Tactical Mode

Ships are lacking varied behaviors per class.
UX needs to be improved to provide more control to the player.
Behaviors related to special modules are still very basic.
Alot of the systems and weapons may be unbalanced.

Balance:
In order to deliver the best game experience and lots of replay value we need to balance the game a lot. This can only be done with your help. We will have special threads in the forums to improve the balance of the game and make it as good if not better as in the original masterpieces.

Missing features
As many Early access games, MoO is being released with a core set of features. We will improve and expand the game during the next stages of development.

Some of the features that will be added during other Stages of EA.
More Playable Races
Custom Races
Espionage
New victory conditions
Minor Races / Independent planets
Linux and Mac Support

Some of the features that we will improve are:
Multiplayer
Ship Design
Tactical Battles
The tutorial
The Galaxy generation
Balance in general

This is an exciting time for NGD and WG Labs, It's been 24 hours and we are getting great feedback from the community already.

Thanks again for playing!

- Chilko

Andr?s Chilkowski
Game Director
NGD Studios

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So even the revs realize the issues and not Tard10 is clutching pearls at this point?

Yeah, I gotta say that first reveal trailer was ... meh. But the Steam Early Access and Voice Actor trailers have me pretty hyped. The art style is perfect.

Grez

Trakanon Raider
IMO they need to shitcan the current real time combat and replace it with turn based combat on a hex grid.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
IMO they need to shitcan the current real time combat and replace it with turn based combat on a hex grid.
No they really don't. They need to fix the combat (which includes fixing ship design) so you have actual control and so your ship designs actually matter.

One big plus, even in its alpha state, is that lower level hulls (frigate, destroyer) matter late game unlike MOO2 where after a certain point you only build Doomstars. End-game missile frigates are nasty and a swarm can take out a Doomstar if you've got enough of them. Speaking of which, you only get one Doomstar per race in this game.

Obligatory -

A small one-manned fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defenses...

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
The game feels just like MOO2, but with a *ton* of Quality of Life changes.

-You know visually how many science/food/production you'll get per person working without doing the math yourself. Not being able to drag more than one colonist into another field is annoying. And I couldn't figure out how to transport units between planets (needs transport ships, not frigates, but I couldn't figure out how to get the transport loaded to move it).
-You can highlight skills on the tech tree to focus on a specific thing - production, food, pollution.
-I wish I could queue up skills like in Civ5. You can select a skill further down the chain and it will auto go through everything required to get there, however.
-Visual representation when hovering your mouse on planets shows their limits (bars to show pop, food, production).

I will say it also makes things like pollution, taxation, and a few other things feel like they're more of a concern. In MOO2 I just taxed the fuck out of my population, since happiness was hardly ever a concern, and pollution was only ever an issue when it started killing off population, which hardly ever happened unless you had 25+ pop planets which would regrow the population the next turn if you needed. Losing one worker to striking can hurt. The star lanes also offer an interesting aspect, since you can barricade fairly early - either to protect people from expanding into your area, or preventing them from expanding outside of their area. Just needs a colony ship and a space worker to build the warp point military base.

Anyone else annoyed that some or a lot of the music sounds like the music from fucking Prometheus?

I didn't play long enough to really get into the space combat, but the one time a pirate attacked my home base I just right clicked on him and boom, missiles went flying and they died. The "real time combat" is very slow paced. In MOO2 I only ever did automatic unless I was very late game and the game was stupid and didn't use appropriate weapons to nuke an enemy without taking damage. Auto would leave my units injured, even if I far out-powered my enemy.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
No they really don't. They need to fix the combat (which includes fixing ship design) so you have actual control and so your ship designs actually matter.

One big plus, even in its alpha state, is that lower level hulls (frigate, destroyer) matter late game unlike MOO2 where after a certain point you only build Doomstars. End-game missile frigates are nasty and a swarm can take out a Doomstar if you've got enough of them. Speaking of which, you only get one Doomstar per race in this game.

Obligatory -

A small one-manned fighter should be able to penetrate the outer defenses...
The part where you're not forced to upgrade your ship every time you discover a new tech was kinna nice. So you're not bogging down all of your ships with upgrades they don't need, in order to keep them affordable or appropriately tactical. e.g. "I only want my light ships to have heavier lasers, my heavy ships to have better missiles"...or the like. Being able to make fully customized ships like MOO2 will come around soon, I hope.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The part where you're not forced to upgrade your ship every time you discover a new tech was kinna nice. So you're not bogging down all of your ships with upgrades they don't need, in order to keep them affordable or appropriately tactical. e.g. "I only want my light ships to have heavier lasers, my heavy ships to have better missiles"...or the like. Being able to make fully customized ships like MOO2 will come around soon, I hope.
Producer's letter on the Steam store page says customization and combat are top priorities for EA2. I'll note that right now there is a bug where the AI can screw its auto upgrades (specifically it seems to occasionally downgrade the computer), and never (AFAIK) does thing like add augmented engines to ships.

To anyone reading, I'll also note that GoG and (I'm pretty sure) Steam offer full return w/n 14-day refunds so if you don't like the game you can just return it. With respect to multiplayer, obviously you're better off buying from Steam because, as of right now, there is no way for Steam/GoG purchasers to play together.

Edit: @acidfly I've turned off the music