Master of Orion

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Fleets disappearing and reappearing... the general functionality of the game is there, but wow. Some of the bugs are pretty significant.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
OK. Fuck this game. Playing three player vs AI, random fleets disappearing. Not OK.
It's a known bug. The computer will allow you to upgrade your fleet, even if you don't have the money for it in Multiplayer.

So if you click "upgrade all ships" - it'll deduct 1400 BC (or more from your treasury). At the end of the round you'll have minus a lot and it will scrap your fleets.

Don't automatically click "upgrade all ships".

tad10

Elisha Dushku
What were you expecting? From the sounds of it, this isn't even an alpha build.
It's early alpha (tactical combat), alpha (multiplayer) and early beta (everything else) and depending on the phase of the moon.

There are lots of bugs with multiplayer - example: game will freeze if you select "options" right when another person selects "Next Turn".

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So why, after a few turns, does your fleet return after disappearing? ...
Got me. Could be a different MP bug. Point being, SP is fairly stable, MP is not at this point. They were upfront about that in the Steam producer's letter on the store page.

I prefer MP myself and the bugs are annoying but early access.

Edited for clarity.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
this is why early access is such a hilarious scam. You're essentially paying them for the privilege of QAing their game, instead of vice versa.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got me. Could be a different MP bug. Point being, SP is fairly stable, MP is not at this point. They were upfront about that in the Steam producer's letter on the store page.

I prefer MP myself, and I find some of the bugs and having to quit out, and reload stuck games, but it is early access....
Haven't noted any real bugs in SP so far - but I'm not a MP fan so that part could barely function and I'd be none the wiser.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Haven't noted any real bugs in SP so far - but I'm not a MP fan so that part could barely function and I'd be none the wiser.
If you ally with an AI after they've declared war on another race (that you were at peace with) you can attack that warred-upon race's fleets and not lose peace status. Autobuild AI is idiotic (always builds barracks first), I'm not sure if that qualifies as a bug. And build queue is not on by default (which should qualify as a bug, but isn't).

@Gavinrad despite the bugs, missing features and lack of control in tactical it's still pretty fun. Time is money, so it was worth the $47.49 to get the game now as opposed to waiting for summer.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
this is why early access is such a hilarious scam. You're essentially paying them for the privilege of QAing their game, instead of vice versa.
This. $50 to alpha test their game for them is a joke. Not just them, but any game.

Last time I fell for that I paid $69 and a month later it was on sale for $29.99....the final price at release was $24.99

I've never fallen for that scam again.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This. $50 to alpha test their game for them is a joke. Not just them, but any game.

Last time I fell for that I paid $69 and a month later it was on sale for $29.99....the final price at release was $24.99

I've never fallen for that scam again.
It's the Collector's Edition that you're buying: extra race, pixel art ships, moo 1, 2 and (just cause?) 3 (if you already own any on GoG small discount). The standard game will be 29.99 at release in summer (less when it goes on sale of course).

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Again, paying $50 to alpha test a game is stupid.
And again, you'd be wrong. I've already seen $50 worth of enjoyment out the game, and that's before they start cooking with gas in EA2/3 and we get customized races and improved combat.

Not to mention I get to drink the sweet, sweet tears of the rabid fanboys on steam (all of whom clearly haven't played MOO2 in years but feel the need to hold temper tantrums on the discussion board anyway).

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
If you feel 50 is a good price for an incomplete partially broken game then more power to you. I however don't and will wait for it to be $10 in 9 months.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If you feel 50 is a good price for an incomplete partially broken game then more power to you. I however don't and will wait for it to be $10 in 9 months.
Incomplete? Sure. Partially Broken? I do think the key negative issue with the game right now as compared to MOO2, is that tech is not as special as it was in MOO2 - let's assume for the sake of argument that the devs don't change that, and it is released with the "less special" tech tree as-is. Well, I'll agree that MOO2's tech tree is better gameplay wise because you have to make strategic decisions at many points on the tree.

On the other hand, the warp lane system in MOO-New is far better than free (but very limited early on) movement in MOO2, because it makes for a much more interesting early development game. On most maps (even large ones) you're competing early to very early with the AI (or other players) for systems. Lack of a fuel cell mechanism means that you can always colonize a good second (or third or fourth) planet instead of getting stuck with a crap second (or third) planet because of fuel range in MOO2 (problem in MOO2 sp especially if an AI discovers you early, huge problem MOO2 mp because you will fall behind the other human players).

So I guess if you want to consider this game partially broken then so is MOO2.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Tech, combat, ship design, and the whole star lane thing, you mean. The only edges is has are in the fluff areas, voice acting and graphics, at present. Well that and upgrading fleets in play is much simpler than Moo2. This is without getting into the turn based thing that you sound like Tanoomba on. Cutting out a race and making it DLC just puts these guys in the same camp as EA, as well. Even if they had not fucked it up with RTS tacked on combat and shitty AI to go with it, I would be somewhat reluctant to go in on the paid QA just to pay the extortion price for the race they are holding hostage. Not really Moo4s fault here, just been burned by too many kickstarters.

Also, Moo2 was not broken. No one here believes that bullshit for a moment, likely not even you. If stars were spread out, you go for the fuel tech if you are not retarded, just like the Darlocks being in a game forces you to focus more on spy tech. Just like the bears in the game require you to up the ground forces tech. Its called playing the hand you are dealt and expecting total balance is a direct symptom of the MP/RTS mentality poisoning the well here.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Also, Moo2 was not broken. No one here believes that bullshit for a moment, likely not even you. If stars were spread out, you go for the fuel tech if you are not retarded, just like the Darlocks being in a game forces you to focus more on spy tech. Just like the bears in the game require you to up the ground forces tech. Its called playing the hand you are dealt and expecting total balance is a direct symptom of the MP/RTS mentality poisoning the well here.
It was unbalanced as fuck, but like you perfectly pointed out you worked with it. That's why folks still play MOO2 and HoMM games. And unfortunately every once in a while there's a developer that sees $$$$.

Unfortunately for some folks in this thread they completely ignored the obvious on page 1 and 2 and spent the next 8 pages filling it with schills and rationalization. I take absolutely no pleasure in this game blowing chunks, but it's fuckwads like Tad and the rest that will forever relegate our classics to "milk them" status. Stop giving these retards money, especially full price Alpha. Jesus fuckballs there wasn't a single positive sign about this game from the day it was announced yet they made money and much like a cult does created a bunch of people who are trying desperately to convince themselves by shouting at others "THIS IS GREAT!"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Son of a bitch. I didn't realize the copy of MoO2 that came with this crap was on Steam...but the collectors edition is the only way to get it. Pass.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Tech, combat, ship design, and the whole star lane thing, you mean.
Starlanes are a better mechanic than free movement for MOO. Makes the early game a lot more interesting and avoids issues with crappy second planets. But you'd know that if you actually played the game. Tech tree could use more selective techs and combat/ship design are still under development But as a whole it's a pretty decent game, even in its unfished state with weak AI. It's chock full of just-one-more-turn goodness.

@Jait the people on Steam who are advocating for the game, are the ones who actually played the game. The fuckwads are folks like you who haven't and are masturbating to 1996 technology and demanding that the devs make a game that stabs them in the eye with forks.

Now you and Phazael may want to stab yourselves in the eye with forks, but I want something fun.
Fortunately, it's a decent game, even in its unfinished state which bodes well for the finished product.

Anyway, keep on chasing unicorns with the rest of the Powderpuff girls.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
It was unbalanced as fuck, but like you perfectly pointed out you worked with it. That's why folks still play MOO2 and HoMM games. And unfortunately every once in a while there's a developer that sees $$$$.

Unfortunately for some folks in this thread they completely ignored the obvious on page 1 and 2 and spent the next 8 pages filling it with schills and rationalization. I take absolutely no pleasure in this game blowing chunks, but it's fuckwads like Tad and the rest that will forever relegate our classics to "milk them" status. Stop giving these retards money, especially full price Alpha. Jesus fuckballs there wasn't a single positive sign about this game from the day it was announced yet they made money and much like a cult does created a bunch of people who are trying desperately to convince themselves by shouting at others "THIS IS GREAT!"
I found a turn-based game for you Jait. I know you think turn based mechanics are the pinnacle of gametech engineering, so I'm sure you'll love this!

rrr_img_127709.jpg