MasterChef Australia

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: MasterChef Australia

Genre: Reality

First aired: 2009-04-27

Creator: Franc Roddam

Overview: MasterChef Australia is a Logie Award-winning Australian competitive cooking game show based on the original British MasterChef. It is produced by Shine Australia and screens on Network Ten. Restaurateur and chef Gary Mehigan, chef George Calombaris and food critic Matt Preston serve as the show's main judges. Journalist Sarah Wilson hosted the first series, however her role was dropped at the end of the series.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is this enjoyable to watch without Ramsay? He kind of makes Hells Kitchen/Master Chef/MC JR for me

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Is this enjoyable to watch without Ramsay? He kind of makes Hells Kitchen/Master Chef/MC JR for me
I'm not a big Ramsay fan, so it isn't a factor for me. There's usually a person or 2 every season that seems to annoy everyone but they really avoid any kinda of drama angle.

Overall format is pretty much the same, as far as I know, except the AU version is 60+ episodes and they air every weeknight for 3 months.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I'm not a big Ramsay fan, so it isn't a factor for me. There's usually a person or 2 every season that seems to annoy everyone but they really avoid any kinda of drama angle.

I'm in Australia and local TV here is filled to overflowing with 'reality' TV shows. AND the drama angle is their selling point ( I don't watch any!! So I will take your word on MasterChef Aus being drama free ) but the drama angle is what the ads for the run of the mill Reality shows have.

And it seems the local TV audience just love it. For me its: But why???

The producers will find the couple with the bitch wife and let her clash with the other ladies. That's what the TV ads show "Bitch face gets into arguement with XXX tonight! What will happen??"

I just want it to end.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
I'm in Australia and local TV here is filled to overflowing with 'reality' TV shows. AND the drama angle is their selling point ( I don't watch any!! So I will take your word on MasterChef Aus being drama free ) but the drama angle .....
Plenty of that here in the US as well, not a fan in the least. It's a big part of why we like the AU version.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I don't remember the U.S. Masterchef really having any drama. There are personalities, but it's not like they show these guys living together or anything.

khorum

Murder Apologist
My wife and in-laws watch this show religiously. Apparently there's nothing else to do in the middle-of-fucking-nowhere-Australia.

This isn't the masterchef format tho. It's very different and MUCH better.

It's impossible to understate how huge this show (AND masterchef australia) is down under.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I pretty much don't watch free to air TV. About all I watch is nightly news . . . motorsport . . . or when a good movie is shown and I can do some other things during ad breaks.

Other than that it's streaming sites for me.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well if you're ever interested in reality cooking shows check this show out and My Kitchen Rules Australia.

The Australians don't fuck around with cooking shows.....this (and My Kitchen Rules) airs like 3 days a week down there.

Also if you think "I've seen Masterchef US and this Aussie shit must be more of the same" you're a fucking idiot and you're absolutely WRONG:

Last edited:

Molten Core Raider
I've watched this pretty religiously for years now (started watching with season 4, ended up torrenting the first three seasons and the all star one). As was said above, it's a great cooking show without all the manufactured drama/overly competitiveness that the US version has (although it wasn't always that way, the first couple seasons used a different format for eliminating contestants). It's a very positive sorta competition with the contestants backing each other rather than sabotaging, it focuses more on the growth of each contestant as a chef rather than how they could hamstring each other to get ahead.

It's also on like five days a week so it is a pretty big time commitment if you decide to watch it all.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I used to torrent this regularly, but haven't watched the last couple seasons. Of all the cooking shows on the planet, this is by far the best one.

I will echo the others, the Aussie MC is nothing whatsoever like USA MC, aside from the name (and this is a good thing).

khorum

Murder Apologist
I used to torrent this regularly, but haven't watched the last couple seasons. Of all the cooking shows on the planet, this is by far the best one.

I will echo the others, the Aussie MC is nothing whatsoever like USA MC, aside from the name (and this is a good thing).
Should check out My Kitchen Rules.... Masterchef Australia and MKR trade off airing different seasons.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Haven't had a chance to watch more than 40 min of ep 1. Wife + baby ruining everything.:mad:

TV show information provided by The Movie Database