Mechanical Keyboards

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Like we've said before they all use the same switches. The core guts of the keyboards are all the same. It comes down to build quality, keycap quality and extra electronics features. Keycaps especially is probably the biggest factor since the cost between pad printing vs laser vs dye subs is very different. And stop searching for "gamer" keybaords if you don't want a gamer keyboard. There are plenty of keyboard brands out there (DAS, Filco, Leopold, Topre, Happy Hacker) that don't give two fucks about macro keys and backlighting.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Trust me, I wouldn't be searching for gamer keyboards if newegg didn't automatically file all mechanical keyboards into that category. Some of the brands you mentioned are even in that list I linked above.

Is there another site that categorizes them better and has decent amount of reviews?

EDIT: I realize I'm being repetitive, I apologize for that. Just really frustrating to wade through so much unhelpful crap(on other websites, not here) on something that's ultimately subjective(switch feel) in a market that might be too small to have reached critical mass for reviews.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Trust me, I wouldn't be searching for gamer keyboards if newegg didn't automatically file all mechanical keyboards into that category. Some of the brands you mentioned are even in that list I linked above.

Is there another site that categorizes them better and has decent amount of reviews?

EDIT: I realize I'm being repetitive, I apologize for that. Just really frustrating to wade through so much unhelpful crap(on other websites, not here) on something that's ultimately subjective(switch feel) in a market that might be too small to have reached critical mass for reviews.
EH i lost my post, anyway, your search is too broad, just search for cherry mx brown and get a good manufacturer, from what you've stated, this cm storm looks good
CM Storm QuickFire XT - Full Size Mechanical Gaming Keyboard with CHERRY MX Brown Switches - Newegg.com

or this corsair
Corsair Gaming STRAFE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Newegg.com

you want more features beyond that? well just keep ponying up more money.

here's a search of what i know to be good keyboard manufacturers, i've never used them, have either made my own board or have my current Kinesis, but you're not gonna say a corsair anything, will be shit.
Brown Cherry MX, ROCCAT, Das Keyboard, G.SKILL, Corsair, Cooler Master, Logitech, Gaming Keyboards, Gaming - Newegg.com

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
1 is a ridiculous number of macro keys to me. What are the use cases that I'm missing and have never taken advantage of? Productivity stuff, gaming stuff, enterprise?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
1 is a ridiculous number of macro keys to me. What are the use cases that I'm missing and have never taken advantage of? Productivity stuff, gaming stuff, enterprise?
MMO's they come in handy for rotations that are mindless, or you just want to spam for farming. LOL I use it combos.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I never use my macro keys at home.

I brought my ancient logitech keyboard to work and have all 18 of them mapped to linux commands I type constantly, like cat etc hosts, various grep strings, etc.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wow, the forum hosting Cloudflare software won't let me type those commands out for real, thinks I'm trying to haxor the server.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also, Cherry MX Greens are super sweet. Too bad they're so rare.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Also, Cherry MX Greens are super sweet. Too bad they're so rare.
make your own
Green Cherry MX Switches

buy how many, desolder and resolder.

A good solder gun for 40ish bucks,
Amazon.com: Weller WLC100 40-Watt Soldering Station: Home Improvement
if you plan on soldering more, get a wes51 or hakko, there are now a ton of Chinese weller and hakko clones, of course the elements don't heat up as fast, and... Chinese.

This is a solder sucker, it sucks the solder out
Vastar Solder Sucker Desoldering Vacuum Pump Solder Removal Tool Blue - - Amazon.com

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Just finished building this :

vP4i1Ad.jpg

LPHT94L.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Actually, the 5 next to enter is the \| key but it's a pain in the ass to find it with the correct label / profile.

My layout is a hybrid between ISO and ANSI sometimes called US International and it's not very popular (not sure why).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I also don't see an escape key. Unless the button typically tilde/backtick is escape on that layout.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
No function keys either, how will your mother accidentally get trapped in full screen?