Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
How about more than random death matches? How about running a unit? How about choosing which contracts to take, for which factions, to help wars? And factions actually mattering. Know you, something MWO tried kinda-sorta-not really to give us, and is super pathetic? What BattleTech is trying to do.
I've seen some talk about traveling on the map, having your own unit, etc. Russ has talked about searching through local system markets for mechs/parts. I don't know details about units and contracts. I know that at the very least there's a 'stock' unit you have (I heard the name; sounded gay. I assume you can edit) but I'm not sure beyond that.

I *THINK* your dropship is a Leopard. Not sure if that limits your unit size or if you can upgrade/change dropship.

My gut impression is that a lot of their design decisions might be similar to HBS Battletech.

I think they've talked about a lot of this stuff in their AMAs, but I have a hard time sitting there actively listening to 2-hour videos.

I get where you're coming from though. A lot of us thought MWO was going to be an MMO...and it's so far from that.

This 'beta' being only basic stuff and dropping into one-off missions does give rise to concerns that there will be no 'meat' to the game. Which puts players into the position of believing Russ/PGI, or erring on the side of caution because people don't really feel like trusting them not to oversell/underperform on promises.

There's been (from my POV) almost no marketing that I've seen. I know some streamers have wondered about this too. Release is just around the corner...where the hell is the advertising?

Right now AI seems like one of the bigger worries. It looks bad. But the popular wisdom is that the 'beta' is a really early, but stable, build.

It does seem like they're rushing things, though. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

I'll try to watch more of the AMAs so I can comment

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Semi related, as well as battletech did, suprised it's thread didnt get bumped w/ new dlc. Finally some worthwhile additions, but still pricey for a dlc. After a few little things I'm a bit bitter towards them so hadn't planned on ever getting until on uber sale.

MWO as grindy as it is, still is very easy approachable mech fun for 1st person. I personally am jonesing more for a well done/redone mech commander (rt vs turn based of battletech.)

Concur on changing damage etc a bit for mechwarrior, but I'm not sure how you really could other than making CT's stronger/weapons in general weaker or what.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member

Interestingly, I just recently got invested in Battletech even though I was an original backer. Yeah, yeah, backlog of games and interests.

Anyway, the backbone of the "planning" portion of Battletech is pretty much copied over to this game. Only this time you pilot the mechs.

I may have to finally join the Epic store for this one.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Very weird that no one here is playing it. Wait, I am not either.

Scanning reviews, there are a lot of "meh, it's okay" opinions out there.

D'oh.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Very weird that no one here is playing it. Wait, I am not either.

Scanning reviews, there are a lot of "meh, it's okay" opinions out there.

D'oh.
Started playing it. Needs work for sure. Graphics are somewhat dated, keybinds are lolworthy clusterfuck if you rebind. Mech/Walking around are seperate keybinds so since I use ESDF instead of WASD is fucked, some keys dont even have keybinds ex: hold E to loot supplies. Well fuck I moved interact to a mouse button and E to move forward but..there's no keybind for it in the options o_O Ended up restoring defaults and will just suffer through the inferior key set. That said its Mechwarrior so some shits about to be blown up and buildings walked over/through.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
It's not near as polished as it should be. They should have given up on the 'walk around the ship' part of the game and just had a nice onboard dropship UX. The hiring of mercs/market/loadout part of the game is straight up Battletech, the main change from previous MechWarrior titles is the establishment of chassis-specifc hardpoints rather than letting you toss whatever fits in a given location. This means that getting a chassis that supports the sort of weapons you want to use is critically important as you are really constrained in terms of loadout options otherwise.

I played MechWarrior 2 with a flight stick and this game would certainly benefit from throttle/direction separate from torso pivot in that way. As it is I keep getting wrapped around the axle with my feet going one way and my torso pointing the other and not being able to reconcile this while trying to target a fast running Jenner or whatever.

• 1Like

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess I was thirsty for a single player mechwarrior game cause I'm really digging this. Time just flies by and I hate to stop playing it.

I really like the progression aspect and the driving/shooting, but I'm not a fan of ennemies spawning everywhere like it's a Doom game. Also those graphics are straight out of early 2010's.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The spawning business is truly annoying. I think I'm fine and heading back to the drop ship when suddenly some new mechs pop up outta nowhere. I could maybe see if if they came jump-jetting in over the mountains or something to have his their approach, but nope it's straight up instaspawn

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
chassis-specifc hardpoints

After Mechwarrior and especially Mech Commander, the hardpoint system took me a fair bit of getting used to when i picked up Battletech. and it makes a difference even in subtle ways too, like until I lucked into a second gauss rifle I wouldn't even consider running it in an arm mount since it's too easy to lose an arm whereas you have to be taking quite a beating to lose a side torso. Now of course I finally have the black market unlocked and lostech just rains from the goddamn sky. Even found a Gauss++, but even with the tonnage reduction I can't quite fit a double gauss Marauder.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
After Mechwarrior and especially Mech Commander, the hardpoint system took me a fair bit of getting used to when i picked up Battletech. and it makes a difference even in subtle ways too, like until I lucked into a second gauss rifle I wouldn't even consider running it in an arm mount since it's too easy to lose an arm whereas you have to be taking quite a beating to lose a side torso. Now of course I finally have the black market unlocked and lostech just rains from the goddamn sky. Even found a Gauss++, but even with the tonnage reduction I can't quite fit a double gauss Marauder.

I am so gay for Marauders. Glad all the lawsuits did not shit on my enjoyment.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I am so gay for Marauders. Glad all the lawsuits did not shit on my enjoyment.

33-35% headshot chances are so nuts. I've actually got 2 more marauders in storage, if I get all 4 I might try the 4 marauder lance and see how crazy a flat 40% damage reduction bonus really is.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
33-35% headshot chances are so nuts. I've actually got 2 more marauders in storage, if I get all 4 I might try the 4 marauder lance and see how crazy a flat 40% damage reduction bonus really is.
It doesn't stack. But you would one round head cap multiple mechs a turn so that wouldn't matter.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It doesn't stack. But you would one round head cap multiple mechs a turn so that wouldn't matter.

Shame. Although I can picture how absurd it would be if it did stack. The clan invasion fails because the IS brings 10 Marauders to every fight. Anyway now I have a King Crab with 2 LBX20++s and a rack of 4 Infernos++ and I can't imagine ever taking that bad boy off the field. Can completely lock down one mech while sandblasting and destabilizing a second one.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Shame. Although I can picture how absurd it would be if it did stack. The clan invasion fails because the IS brings 10 Marauders to every fight. Anyway now I have a King Crab with 2 LBX20++s and a rack of 4 Infernos++ and I can't imagine ever taking that bad boy off the field. Can completely lock down one mech while sandblasting and destabilizing a second one.

Yup the fun is in the variety. My favorite non mod lance to bring currently is a MAD3R, Cyclops, Archer, and a firestarter. Handles five stars with ease. Cyclops give everyone heavy or better initiative and runs a guass plus lrms for stab and sandpaper. Archer I'd actually equipped for mid range combat with a bunch of srm+++ that do major work with the mech perk and he gets really punchy with slas++. The MAD does the obvious one capping but the real star is the firestarter. Since they uncapped evasion it had more effective health then a fully armored atlas or annihilator and with shoot and scoot its coring assaults because of a full compliment of +++Mlas and slas from behind.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yup the fun is in the variety. My favorite non mod lance to bring currently is a MAD3R, Cyclops, Archer, and a firestarter. Handles five stars with ease. Cyclops give everyone heavy or better initiative and runs a guass plus lrms for stab and sandpaper. Archer I'd actually equipped for mid range combat with a bunch of srm+++ that do major work with the mech perk and he gets really punchy with slas++. The MAD does the obvious one capping but the real star is the firestarter. Since they uncapped evasion it had more effective health then a fully armored atlas or annihilator and with shoot and scoot its coring assaults because of a full compliment of +++Mlas and slas from behind.

Yeah I'd read that light mechs were srs bsns now but I've never really stopped the blunt force approach. Marauder, King Crab, Atlas II, and an Annihilator. I actually had the craziest luck in this playthrough, managed to buy the parts for the Marauder fairly early on and then my first mission piloting it was a one-skull with an Atlas that I got full salvage on.

I was running a Grasshopper before I swapped the King Crab in, but when an opfor King Crab turned around and blasted his side off in one shot from full armor it made me very gunshy lol

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
It is really a different playstyle for sure. The firestarter usually only fires once every three rounds or so (well twice because of going back to back) but it draws so much fire and if you keep at max evasion and out of melee range it just doesn't seem to get hit. The AI usually prioritizes the MAD or Archer but both are bulwark pilots with the damage reduction from the mad so they may get a bit beaten up but are rarely in real danger unless i put them in a bad spot.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
They released a patch that fixed most of the spawn wonkiness. Not all of it, but it isn't anywhere near as common as before.

• 1Like