Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries announced.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I finally picked this up with the 10 dollar epic coupon. I'm really liking it so far but are assassination missions supposed to be so much harder then the others? I dread going on those missions because I get fucked up bad on those. It's like kill the 2 mechs but their will be like 20 tanks and 20 helicopters fucking your shit up while you try and do it. Then it's a mad dash back to your dropship because everyone is missing an arm and a leg. All the other missions I walk out with scratches.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Not sure. I haven't picked it up yet...I probably will in the next day or two.

It seems like there's a lot of missions like that. The tanks and helicopters...I mean, they just seem like shitty spam.

I've watched a lot of videos and it seems like half the time the person playing & recording is spinning around trying to figure out where they're getting shot from. Just a fuckload of helicopters zerging you, and tanks spawning right next to you.

There's definitely a point on missions where you have to decide to leave or keep killing. Seen folks try to stay as long as possible to get more cbills, then they end up losing torsos and limbs. Suddenly they're losing money after repairs.

It annoys me how inaccurate friendly NPC pilots seem to be. They do damage, but it seems like 1/2 or 1/3rd of what you might do in a mission. It also seems like they may push into close range and get wrecked if you aren't careful what weapons you put on their mechs (like small lasers and srms might make them close in to point blank).

It's also annoying how at other times I'll be watching someone play, and their NPCs are just reluctant as shit to close in, even with orders.

Long range seems powerful, if you can stay there. PPCs seem really useful for the front loaded pinpoint damage. I've heard people say that gauss are OP once you get them, for much the same reason.

Supposedly they tweaked the AI spawns a bit. They also need to do something about light mechs just circling you in a death-spiral nonstop. But I don't think they could get an AI to peek-snipe effectively, or to do hit and run attacks.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I finally picked this up with the 10 dollar epic coupon. I'm really liking it so far but are assassination missions supposed to be so much harder then the others? I dread going on those missions because I get fucked up bad on those. It's like kill the 2 mechs but their will be like 20 tanks and 20 helicopters fucking your shit up while you try and do it. Then it's a mad dash back to your dropship because everyone is missing an arm and a leg. All the other missions I walk out with scratches.
I just sat down to watch a mission video that TTB put up today, and...well...here's him doing an assassination mission, and he got a weird double-spawn bug.

time-stamped to mission start

• 1Like

Poin Dexter

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey where can I get MechWarrior 4 besides Steam (steam doesn't download for shit for some reason)? I would like to try some older titles before I dive into the latest one.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Yah the friendly AI is pretty pants. The best for them is to run AC 5s and the odd ppc early then to transition to Guass and PPC loadouts late because they have monstrous accuracy with those weapon. Like Erronius said you can't put close range weaponry on them because they try to close to that distance. Running missions in the 70s now and I have success running a fast brawler for myself and that loadout for them. I draw all the fire while constantly shuffling them around at max range and missions are a breeze. Destruction is ass but I just use the spider hero and solo them.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I keep looking to pick this up (looks like what I actually want - cross between HBS's Battletech and PGI's MWO) but then I see videos like that, and it seems the game needs a few more patches.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Ok I just acquired a hero mech. Are they like rare chassis? It came with double heat sinks which is the only difference I can tell.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I think they're rare, but I don't know if many are worth a shit.

I've seen some people who only wanted them to strip the DHS out.

Good example (I think) was the special Urbies. The K-9 has DHS and the Streetcleaner...doesn't? So people were looking for the K9 so they could just buy one, strip the DHS out, and then resell the chassis back.

I only started playing a little today so I haven't seen that myself, yet.

• 1Like

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
Some heros like the urbie are just good for the components and then a resell. Others like the spider variant has a higher top speed, ams, and a non standard weapons loadout.

The black jack hero variant for example is an amazing mech that punches way above its weight with six machine guns that shred anything mid game. Hunchback hero comes with a gauss which is stupidly powerful that early in the game as well.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hero mechs variously have lostech or the equivalent of clan tech like L/XL engines or endosteel/ferro-fibrous armor (which is the only possible way to explain some of their stats/loadouts). Many of them are jank, some of them are at least a good source for doubles, and some of them are pretty nutty if you get them at the right time.

This dude has a vid that breaks em down if you don't want to roll the dice with your c-bills.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
TTB is a good guy. Though he doesn't have much (any) patience for derps. I've dropped in a few matches with him randomly, and every time our team turns the potato-factor up to 11.

So, here's something hilarious: I literally just finished the newbie mission where you 'rescue' the guy in a Jenner, and he joins you. Afterwards they open up the starmap, and tell you to go find an industrial hub. I see Haynesille; 3 rare weapons for sale. So I go there, and one...is a T3 gauss rifle.

I don't know if I just won the fucking lottery, or what.

1577417459529.png

1577417701481.png

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
But was there gauss ammo? lol

I mean it's crazy good, especially that early, but weapons get blown up pretty frequently from what I've seen so you definitely dont want that thing mounted in an arm unless you're an ace pilot. Ideal mech for the early game is probably a hunchback since i can't think of anything else with a large ballistic hardpoint on a torso in that weight class.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
oof. HBS Battletech taught me about that. When you found a gauss rifle in the regular store it always had a ton or two of ammo in the store as well, but the gauss++ in the black market never had any.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
oof. HBS Battletech taught me about that. When you found a gauss rifle in the regular store it always had a ton or two of ammo in the store as well, but the gauss++ in the black market never had any.
I just always bought the ammo but never the guns themselves. Heavy Metal brought out the busted UAC/2++. Need to find some -ton Gauss though if BXCE has them since the heavy metal mech modules kind of ruined the base game for me.