Mechwarrior Online

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If they ever get this shit out I think this game could become pretty damn popular.Ask the Devs - Vlog #1 - YouTube

Maybe one day my Battletech cards will be worth something... (not likely) Really did enjoy playing that game though!

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Ahh right thx

Anyone good playing recently can confirm Cata still a good line of Mechs? Before i pump 5k xp into advanced zoom.

Since C-bills is dmg focused kinda regretting not looking up assault mechs instead
Modules arent locked into a single mech when you buy them, they are interchangeable the same way weapons and engines are. Just go to the modules tab in the mechlab and drag it over. You will have to unequip it from Mech A if you want to equip it on Mech B though which is annoying later on when you have 40+ mechs in the mech bay and you have to play the "Where Did I Leave My Modules" guessing game.

OneofOne

If you got 40+ mechs, stop being a jew and buy more than one module perhaps?

Modules arent locked into a single mech when you buy them, they are interchangeable the same way weapons and engines are. Just go to the modules tab in the mechlab and drag it over. You will have to unequip it from Mech A if you want to equip it on Mech B though which is annoying later on when you have 40+ mechs in the mech bay and you have to play the "Where Did I Leave My Modules" guessing game.
Price i dont care really, its the 5k xp thats a hard grind

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Ahh right thx

Anyone good playing recently can confirm Cata still a good line of Mechs? Before i pump 5k xp into advanced zoom.

Since C-bills is dmg focused kinda regretting not looking up assault mechs instead
Damage and assist kill focused. I picked up a Kintaro 18 the other day, 5 SSRM and 2 MLas and it racks up the c-bills with it's ability to rain in the pain and help get kills. A lot of it is simply getting used to the game, pretty much like most new games.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
For reference the Advanced Zoom module was fixed like 5 or 6 months ago and is now one of the best modules in the game. No low res or anything.

If you want a fun mech, I like the new Shadow Hawks, they are medium...which isn't normally a great choice. But they have great hardpoints and their hitboxes are really well set-up.

So you can go 90-100 kph and still have some fire power and jump jets.

I enjoy the 2D2, 4 Streak SRM2's, Ultra AC5 and 2 Medium Lasers. It puts out pain.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Damage and assist kill focused. I picked up a Kintaro 18 the other day, 5 SSRM and 2 MLas and it racks up the c-bills with it's ability to rain in the pain and help get kills. A lot of it is simply getting used to the game, pretty much like most new games.
Right now, assists give you more c-bills and kills give you more exp.

Always go for assists. Exp tends to flow, c-bills not so much. And remember you need to buy 3 of a mech to Elite it, and then you have to have 3 of a weight class Elite'd to move to Master (it's honestly a bit asinine).

If you really enjoy the basic premise of the game, I'd invest 15-20 bucks and get one of the better hero mechs (Oxide or Ilya Muromets come to mind) as a C-Bill farmer.

And they count towards your 3 of one mech type to Elite.

Yeah i went ahead and bought the illya cuz i really like how the game plays, hopefully they add some sort of openworldish territory control to this and it doesnt die a horrible death. So i thought the max mech you could have was 6? You can buy as much mech bay space as you want?

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Yeah i went ahead and bought the illya cuz i really like how the game plays, hopefully they add some sort of openworldish territory control to this and it doesnt die a horrible death. So i thought the max mech you could have was 6? You can buy as much mech bay space as you want?
Yup 300 MC per bay. They never go on sale either.

Fury

Did they sneak in a C-Bill nerf in the last patch? It seems like I'm getting about half what I was before, from both wins and losses, and yes I'm still running on premium time.

OneofOne

They include a link to a pic right there on that page - it's a hanging alien head. Saw one the other day, guess now I know where it comes from.

OneofOne

Been playing this for about a month now, and I have to say I really enjoy it. Think I've put at least an hour into it every night for the last month, plus I'll play a few games during the day in-between work. If you ever wanted to get in a mech and run around and shoot shit, you really need to try this game. I tried Hawken a while back, but I much prefer this.

That said, damn, I don't think I've ever played a game that had SO much potential to be so much more, but isn't. It's hurting for a meta-game in the biggest way. Supposedly one is coming out, but we could all be grandparents before that happens. And the out of game UI (buying and building mechs) is atrocious. The smurfy site linked previously is 20x better than what the game has, which is sad. You know you done fucked up when a little freebee site is making your paid programmers look retarded. There's a brand spanking new UI supposed to be coming out real soon, but from everything I've read, it damn near sounds as bad or worse than what we have now so /shrug

Even so, probably the best FTP game I've tried yet. Looking forward to trying out even more mechs!

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
Been playing this for about a month now, and I have to say I really enjoy it. Think I've put at least an hour into it every night for the last month, plus I'll play a few games during the day in-between work. If you ever wanted to get in a mech and run around and shoot shit, you really need to try this game. I tried Hawken a while back, but I much prefer this.

That said, damn, I don't think I've ever played a game that had SO much potential to be so much more, but isn't. It's hurting for a meta-game in the biggest way. Supposedly one is coming out, but we could all be grandparents before that happens. And the out of game UI (buying and building mechs) is atrocious. The smurfy site linked previously is 20x better than what the game has, which is sad. You know you done fucked up when a little freebee site is making your paid programmers look retarded. There's a brand spanking new UI supposed to be coming out real soon, but from everything I've read, it damn near sounds as bad or worse than what we have now so /shrug

Even so, probably the best FTP game I've tried yet. Looking forward to trying out even more mechs!
This is the game in a nutshell, except try doing that for a year+ and you'll be where I am. They really need to do SOMETHING.

Fury

It's definately a good enough game for the ftp model, but it really feels like they are bilking the players if you do want to buy items. I kind of get that Hero mechs are a cash deal only, but jeez, it would be a bit nicer if they were somewhat cheaper since you have to buy a bay for them as well. Premium time for cbill and xp increases might be worth it, since it's a 50% increase which equates to free mech for every 2 that you'd normally buy. But again, you have to have the bays for them.

OneofOne

The mech bays I don't mind at all. It's a way to get cash from players like me that won't buy the other shit. As is you can get 10 for $15 - that's a pretty fair price I think. Premium time, again, I don't care about. It's the same as damn near any other FTP game. It allows you to progress and get mechs faster, but doesn't increase your "combat stats" or otherwise give you an unfair advantage in combat. I don't even mind that premium mechs give a 30% cash/exp bonus, for the same reason. I will agree though that their prices are too high for me to bother with. I almost got a BH when they were on sale, but even so it woulda been about $28.00 for a single mech and its bay, and that just feels like too much.

What does bother me, however, is that premium mechs allow builds you simply can't otherwise do. I'm not saying they are OP, but unless I pay cash I'll never get to try a light with 4 launchers (Oxide) or run an Atlas with a 400 engine (Boar's Head).

Fury

So...

UI 2.0, whatcha think?

I think it's about as bad as you could get and still claim it as "functioning". Making players click suff twice as much to do what they were doing before seems stupid to me though. I was a bit more pissed about the 20 - 30 fps I lost on most maps, and that Atremis now isn't just an missle system upgrade, it's an etirely new weapons system requiring you buy new LRM launchers. The biggest wtf has to be not showing how many slots you have availavle on a mech.

Idiots.

OneofOne

+ you can actually view mechs to buy now even if you have no available mech bays
+ inventory lists to see only what you own
+ can see what mechs people in your group have in "lobby"

- 2 click to play game? a step backwards
- 4 clicks to spend exp, with a bonus confirmation box at the very end
- and how about when I go to spend exp, you only show me the mechs that I can even spend exp on, instead of every type in the game
- too many goddamn clicks to do anything and everything
- Home page is just about the most useless homepage in any game
- looking at engines to buy is enough to cause an epileptic seizure, with the bonus of not telling you engine weight at a glance (a step backwards)
- still no damn smurfy-style building layout, though supposedly coming in a bit
- whole damn UI is just unintuitive
- more stuff I can't think of