Men's Fashion

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
cufflinks are just another accessory. You don't need to wear them, but neither do you need to wear a watch or a good leatherware.
Yeah but they are a very formal accessory. Unless you are a wall street exec or at some very fancy function I would totally skip them.

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah but they are a very formal accessory. Unless you are a wall street exec or at some very fancy function I would totally skip them.
Maybe in the US, but not in europe or asia. Cufflinks are pretty standard if you favour french cuffs, but they don't have to be anything other than silk knots. They are very common in office wear.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
as for hugo boss - ...They aren't stitched like a proper bespoke , they are fused (glued) together. You will notice it when you have them dry cleaned.
They have both. At least one of mine is stitched, made sure of it.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Maybe in the US, but not in europe or asia. Cufflinks are pretty standard if you favour french cuffs, but they don't have to be anything other than silk knots. They are very common in office wear.
I think most people would wonder wtf you were thinking if you wore them in the US. Its not like a watch or quality leather. It's more like showing up with a top hat.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah I haven't seen someone wear a french cuff shirt outside of a wedding or other black tie event in a long time... but maybe I just hang out with the wrong crowd.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thank god my industry (automotive engineering) went full blown business casual back in the mid 90s. I hated wearing ties and shit. Now its all about a nice shirt, some docker type pants and you're good to go. So much more comfortable sitting in the office all day long now.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I can't even see people wearing cufflinks every day in Europe unless you're perhaps working in retail where you shop for clothing or specifically accessories. They're very formal. Agree with you on the watch.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Cufflinks are very formal but couldn't you tone it down with a silk knot instead? I've only got one french cuff shirt and a pair of cufflinks but sometimes I find a really good french cuff and pull back because of the cufflink issue. I wouldn't see wearing such attire for a business casual office however. It does seem like you'd be overdoing it.

splorge

Chalk it up to regional differences then. cufflinks can be formal, but they are also used for quite the opposite. Guys will wear some pretty whimsical links depending on their mood; animals, action figures, vehicles, whatever they feel like. Its used as a way to show your personality. I will say that french cuffs are quite popular in asia, so that may have something to do with it.

bazazu

Lord Nagafen Raider
So.... Any chance someone can recommend a good relaxed fit jean? I've been searching for months for some good jeans since all of mine are starting to look a little ragged.

No skinny jeans or tight hipster looking crap. Something I can wear in a work place as well.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
All I can tell you is that I used to buy $200 jeans and eventually I realized I was being stupid.

These days I just wear Banana Republic jeans or Levi's.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't get the cufflinks only being formal wear argument. Cufflinks look nice regardless of the situation or what you are wearing them for and can be worn for any occasion. One of my co workers is obsessed with french cuffs, wears them almost every day to the office and wears them out at night. I think they look good for anything personally.

The dude I mentioned also pulls more pussy then anyone I know. Not saying the cuffs are directly related to it, but they certainly aren't hurting his cause. lol

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
If he's pulling more "pussy" than anyone you know, then, he's probably gay. Bitches love fags.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
LoL, naw that's not the case.

I just think since you don't see many people wearing them that people think they are for formal wear and that's it. Just because it's not common in areas doesn't mean it's only meant to be worn a certain way. -shrug-

I have friends who live out in the middle of no where who think ties are only formal wear. Where they live people only wear ties to church and when someone dies and telling them otherwise will cause them to laugh at you. Same goes for this really, just depends on where you're at.

prescient

French cuffs are perfectly acceptable any time you are wearing a suit. I usually end up wearing silk knots as I travel constantly, and I don't want to worry about leaving expensive cuff links in a hotel room. The other nice thing about silk knots is that you can get them to match a tie or pocket square, and a pocket square is always a nice touch as well.

On Brooks Brothers suits. I have suits from both their inexpensive line and the Golden Fleece line. Generally the higher end suits aren't going to be fashion forward as folks who are willing to drop $2k on a suit don't tend to be in that great of shape. However, I do really like the fabric on the Golden Fleece suits, specifically the Cavendish fabrics.

When you go shopping for suits I would check out Off 5th and Nordstrom Rack. You want to look for suits that are fully canvassed as they will last longer and wear better. The inexpensive Brooks Brothers are only half canvassed. Most Hugo Boss suits are fused. Additionally, make sure you thoroughly inspect the suits as they can be imperfect in some cases.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2010/0...nvassed-suits/

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of jeans, does anyone know of any good brands for someone with big legs? Been back at the gym a lot lately and my quads have blown up. It's business casual here, but today I'm wearing jeans and holy crap they're tight! I don't want fat people jeans (I'm 165), just something that might fit better in the upper legs. I want to say I'm at 24" legs at the moment.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So.... Any chance someone can recommend a good relaxed fit jean? I've been searching for months for some good jeans since all of mine are starting to look a little ragged.

No skinny jeans or tight hipster looking crap. Something I can wear in a work place as well.
I'm slowly swinging towards what Araysar said, but my $200 pairs of jeans lasted me 6 years so I considered them a good investment. The last pair of jeans I bought were... Mavi or some brand I've never heard of. They were about $60 at Nordstrom Rack.

I really don't even care what the brand is anymore. I have such trouble finding jeans that fit correctly that I'll buy anything as long as it fits.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Mavi are really good jeans IMO, a couple pairs of them have been my favorite jeans in the past few years. I think they're Turkish or something like that. They're not ridiculously expensive, seem to be of reasonable quality, and don't tend to go the direction of other brands with fading and ugly stitching and jeweled back pockets. I've only bought a few pairs of $100+ jeans over the years. Two pairs of Seven For All Mankind which I fucking loved, but which fell apart after a year. And two pairs of Diesels, one which I stopped wearing because I just didn't like the cut/fit, and another which I just picked up last week and haven't worn yet.

I'm not too picky about brands for jeans. The larger lines have dozens of different styles/cuts, it's just a matter of finding the one that fits you. I like straight leg cuts for the most part, need some extra room in the butt and legs due to how diesel they are, and can't stand how 75% of jeans on the rack look ridiculous with a shitload of artificial fading and bedazzled back pockets etc. I might have 3-5 pairs in rotation at any one time, so I don't find they last me more than 2-3 years at most. Almost all of them wear out in the crotch.