Metal Gear Solid V

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
haha dropping a crate on her i gotta remember that, i just constantly do side missions. I should really move the main story forward. i fucking love sneaking around soviet bases acting like stealth rambo
I did this for about 15 hours. But yeah you are missing out on a LOT without the story missions because it unlocks a lot of things to do. The side game of combat deployment for resource missions (Computer controlled on a timer), gaining new partners in crime, great story advancement (obviously), new weapons and gear and being able to capture raw crates of materials up to Motherbase, obviously adding your dog to take with you on missions as he grows up from being a puppy, expanding motherbase, etc. The main missions advance all the fun of the core of the game's unlocks.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Reading about the FOBs is making me not like this game as much anymore knowing the level of online bullshit I'll be subjected to in 3 missions that I cannot opt out of.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Reading about the FOBs is making me not like this game as much anymore knowing the level of online bullshit I'll be subjected to in 3 missions that I cannot opt out of.
Well they can attack you while you are offline, which I find serious bullshit. Last two days when I go to play I find my fob has taken damage while I am at work.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Thought you could just log out of the server and not have to deal with that shit at all if you so chose.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Nope. Your status has no bearing on the invasion. It's permanently available for assault. And with the already available trainers it's pretty joke mode to just fuck over someone pretty well.

Well they can attack you while you are offline, which I find serious bullshit. Last two days when I go to play I find my fob has taken damage while I am at work.
Yeah, that's what makes no fucking sense.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Really? I'm looking at a notice right now as I turn on the game:

** TIPS: About online disconnect **
If you want to play offline without worrying about coming under attack from rival players, select ONLINE DISCONNECT under the Pause Menu.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sure sounds like a fly in the ointment after I broke the no new games rule till backlog cleared. Hoping its something that just needs a patch?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Quick Q, anyone mouse and keyboarding it, or everyone just has an xbox controller?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Let's put the FOB stuff into perspective:

1. The free one is pretty much a second Mother Base. Instead of having to repeatedly spend 48k resources (x2) to upgrade your main base to level 4 all around, you can just upgrade the FOB to rank 3 across the board and have another place to put 80 soldiers in each category. 85 if you take your command platform to rank 4, since it's cheaper than the others. You also get to send out 4 deployment teams instead of 2. And you process raw resources twice as fast too.

2. If you don't invade other people, the most you can lose is 10 soldiers and a trivial amount of resources every 24 hours. You can direct contract (press L2 in Staff Management) 10% of your people, which makes it easy to protect all the ones with important skills and all your highest ranks. That's assuming the person even wins, which is not easy to do if you upgrade security and give them good weapons. Your rank is going to be so low if you don't attack anyone else that it's unlikely anyone good will ever waste their time attacking you. If you do get invaded, do not retaliate.

3. For security, plan ahead and don't fire all those shitty D and E ranks you have left over from the early game. Just leave them sitting in the waiting room until you get the FOB, and then put them on security. Their ranks don't matter at all on defense. All that matters is the actual security level, and the guns you give them.

I hate online shit worming its way into single player games, to the point where I even play Souls games 100% offline. I'd prefer it if I could turn off online FOB stuff entirely, but not being able to is a total non-issue and the benefits of having a FOB outweigh the downsides by a couple orders of magnitude.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Let's put the FOB stuff into perspective:

1. The free one is pretty much a second Mother Base. Instead of having to repeatedly spend 48k resources (x2) to upgrade your main base to level 4 all around, you can just upgrade the FOB to rank 3 across the board and have another place to put 80 soldiers in each category. 85 if you take your command platform to rank 4, since it's cheaper than the others. You also get to send out 4 deployment teams instead of 2. And you process raw resources twice as fast too.

2. If you don't invade other people, the most you can lose is 10 soldiers and a trivial amount of resources every 24 hours. You can direct contract (press L2 in Staff Management) 10% of your people, which makes it easy to protect all the ones with important skills and all your highest ranks. That's assuming the person even wins, which is not easy to do if you upgrade security and give them good weapons. Your rank is going to be so low if you don't attack anyone else that it's unlikely anyone good will ever waste their time attacking you. If you do get invaded, do not retaliate.

3. For security, plan ahead and don't fire all those shitty D and E ranks you have left over from the early game. Just leave them sitting in the waiting room until you get the FOB, and then put them on security. Their ranks don't matter at all on defense. All that matters is the actual security level, and the guns you give them.

I hate online shit worming its way into single player games, to the point where I even play Souls games 100% offline. I'd prefer it if I could turn off online FOB stuff entirely, but not being able to is a total non-issue and the benefits of having a FOB outweigh the downsides by a couple orders of magnitude.
+1 to you good sir

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I need to start progressing. 26 hours in and done mission 1-8 and 11 (Quiet popped up trying to get to a side op).

Just did the extract prisoner 3 side op, and I am fairly sure I am getting to the point where I should have unlocked more things. Material storage containers everywhere I can't pick up, and my Heli is garbage. Got spotted in the base and there were lots of enemies there. Started calling in bombs. I had destroyed the anti-air, so figured I would also call in a support chopper for the first time.

"Arriving" "contact, going in" "GOING DOWN!" That was a 10 second 36000 point cost disaster. Tinfoil armor. Don't think it shot anything. Spent another 60k points carpet bombing the area after that. Completely over the top and not needed, but fun. C4, run and hide, blow c4, enemy goes to check, support bomb area, more enemies come, support bomb again, snipe stragglers.

One thing I really like though is that the world is somewhat persistent. Blow up communications and power supplies, and they remain broken. Not sure if they get fixed over a long period of time, but not noticed anything except perhaps the odd light on guard towers coming back up (usually break every light source in / around a base when I clear it).

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
And then if you stop playing for a week or so, you start losing material amounts of personal and resources. It's fucking dumb.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Comms and power equipment and gets replaced quickly, I wouldn't bother with that (at least not without a certain weapon). Anti-air radar seems to stay dead forever, so I make it a point to blow all of them up.

Be aware that shooting at equipment counts against your accuracy in missions. It's not a huge amount, but could mean the difference between S and A.

spronk

FPS noob
i need to progress too, i just fucking love doing side missions and trying to 100% every mission. I'm in no rush though, the game atmosphere is so compelling to me that i'll feel sad when I finish the game

The attention to detail in this game is fucking amazing to me, here is a list of stuff people have posted on neogaf that i haven't noticed really. none of it is story spoilers, just kinda spoilered in case people wanna play the game totally blind

fromMGSV - The little gameplay details that caught your attention - NeoGAF

- if you have the toilet tape, when you use it in a toilet soldiers will avoid that area.
- putting an enemy to sleep in water makes them eventually drown
- if you throw a grenade into a group of soldiers one of them will dive on it to save the others
- there is a lullaby tape that will make soldiers fall asleep
- the game adapts to your playstyle. keep shooting ppl in the head, they all start wearing helmets. use lots of grenades, more vests, anti-sniper if you snipe a lot, etc
- you can knock someone out throwing a magazine at their head
- if you do a ton of missions back to back snake starts having an IV hooked up to him in the chopper
- if you do a ton of missions and never use the shower there is an extra cutscene when you go back to MB
- if you go back to MB on your birthday there is a bonus cutscene
- some enemy soldiers will drop their gun if you point your weapon at them. do this a lot and decoys start showing up at outposts
- once your intel team starts up, you can spot them sneaking around while you are out on missions
- you can shoot down power lines and it will electrocute soldiers if its raining
- for the decoy, if you throw the decoy and wait for them to walk over before activating it, the popout will knock the first soldier out
- there is some crazy shit you can do with cardboard boxes and side graffiti, like having a bunch of soldiers admiring chicks or saluting
- you can turn the lights off in a truck, duck down, and let it coast through an outpost. all the soldiers won't see you and wonder out loud what the fuck is going on

there are dozens more like that

igpSl6w.gif

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
- if you do a ton of missions and never use the shower there is an extra cutscene when you go back to MB

You can get this cutscene a lot quicker by just hiding in dumpsters and toilets during a mission