Metal Gear Solid V

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The story makes sense in broad strokes, but theres so many canonical revisions that in the minutiae it falls apart.

The main thing to know is Solidus was the only true good guy in the whole franchise.

Because Solidus kicks ass.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
The first step to enjoying MGS is to accept that no amount of playing, reading, analyzing, etc. will ever end up with the story making the slightest bit of sense. Personally, I'd argue that you're better off NOT knowing what came before MGS5. "Ignorance is bliss" has never been more true about a game series.
Absolute lies. Now some of the crazy mystic weird shit is never explained except by "nanomachines" or "magic!". Metal Gear Solid 3 does not really need 1 and 2, However you need 1 and 2 for 4. I havent played ground zeroes or 5 yet so IDK. It absolutely looks like you need to play Peace walker. ...which is not a bad thing at all.

Metal gear solid 3 is the best game on the PS2 imo. So I really behoove you to play it.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Absolute lies. Now some of the crazy mystic weird shit is never explained except by "nanomachines" or "magic!". Metal Gear Solid 3 does not really need 1 and 2, However you need 1 and 2 for 4. I havent played ground zeroes or 5 yet so IDK. It absolutely looks like you need to play Peace walker. ...which is not a bad thing at all.

Metal gear solid 3 is the best game on the PS2 imo. So I really behoove you to play it.
MGS3 HD version is on sale for PS3 from the store for 7.50.
smile.png
I should play it, Never have. But I want to finish this one first.

and makes sense what you said as well. As Metal Gear NES, Solid 1, 2, and 4 are for Solid Snake. Metal Gear 3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes, and Phantom Pain are for Big Boss.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I found MGS3 horribly boring but I'm not a huge MGS fan. I only actually beat 1 and 2.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah you can buy MGS collection for PS3 for $46
Amazon.com: Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection: Paul G. Ziegler: Video Games

its dropped to $30 on amazon a bunch of times so can just wait. I bought the early one that comes with an artbook, doubt I'll ever actually play it but eh. Its also available on vita and I'd guess some of them are on PSNow too

Also the CE is in stock at best buy for ps4 and xbox one, its $80 after GCU. I bought it, the arm is kinda goofy but cool enough. The DLC codes you get exclusive with CE are dumb too (boxes and shields skins), I ended up selling mine on ebay for $50
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metal-ge...&skuId=4920015

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's kind of hilarious in MGS3 how clunky the boss fights are when you are forced to use first person aiming. Luckily they don't expect you to be a COD wizard by any stretch.

Against regular troops I can just point in their general direction and hose them with the AK, but for some reason in a boss fight that just results in Snake pumping bullets into his own feet.

Mostly I just cut throats.

WTB MGS4 HD.

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's right on the title screen the moment you start the game. I think it disappears from the menu when the online servers are fucked up though, which is most of the time right now.

It better to play offline anyway, even when you're not getting disconnected the servers still don't work very well and it causes lag in a bunch of UI stuff. I sign in long enough to get the daily bonus (which can take a while) and then go offline from the in-game menu.

That said, I hated MGS4 and am not even particularly interested in the series as a whole, and I still think the game is easily going to be a GOTY contender. You definitely don't need to be a Kojima fanboy to love it.
It actually unlocks after you complete the "Diamond Dogs" mission. The 2nd mission that sends you to the Motherbase for the first time.
..I finally can stop worrying about that stupid save file now. /phew
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - Ground Zeroes Unlockable Transfer Guide - YouTube

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ah weird, I could have sworn I downloaded mine the first time I started the game.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
So I'm late to the party. Is ground zeroes something you need to get? Or is it just like the main game simplified to some combat missions as a teaser? From above statements I guess some of your actions carry over?

Thinking of getting 5, but trying to figure out if I should be getting zeroes with it/before it.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
So I'm late to the party. Is ground zeroes something you need to get? Or is it just like the main game simplified to some combat missions as a teaser? From above statements I guess some of your actions carry over?

Thinking of getting 5, but trying to figure out if I should be getting zeroes with it/before it.
You get bonuses for 5 if you complete Ground Zeros. It also servers as a prologue to the story in 5. Its worth getting imo. Especially since a lot of places are giving deals on GZ if you buy TPP.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
GZ is a really solid "demo" of all the mechanics in V, set in a more enclosed area (basically around 1 base) with 7 main "missions" and gobs of little side things, easter eggs, etc. to do. It sets up V and explains the beginning of V (so you won't be completely confused what's going on when the game starts up) and yeah, lots of cool shit carries over in terms of just goodies, extra dudes for Mother Base, etc.

Its worth getting because its a good solid 5-10 hours worth of game in and of itself, and will get you much more used to the new stealth mechanics so you don't go into 5 totally cold.

But is it absolutely essential to play GZ before V? No.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
Would be PC. Any GOG or whatever huge sales? otherwise ill be waiting for a holiday sale next year or something. Huge backlog but added it to my to get someday list.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
On the last page I had posted a code for 23% off Green Man Gaming that should work for Phantom Pain. Code might work for Ground Zeroes as well. Probably make getting both right about the same price as just buying V by itself without discount or maybe a little less.

Code should be good till Friday

Here it is again

rrr_img_109215.jpg

If anyone is wanting to get the game on pc, here's a shot at a discount.
That would give you steam keys for the games.

Just checked they don't sell Ground Zeroes on Green Man Gaming. My mistake. Phantom Pain is there for 23% off with that code though.