Metro: Exodus

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I don't understand why everyone is upset about this move away from Steam?

To me it's like crying about getting your coke in a different bottle, when you're going to pour it into a glass with bourbon anyway. Who cares?

At first I thought it was just the usual PR machine orchestrated by a big company, in this case Steam. But while I'm sure that's there, there's obviously more too it.

The only thing I can think of is people with big steam libraries are hurting that moves like this diminish the value of their libraries on steam. Like the fallacy of sunk costs. It's a fantastic example of insidious marketing how Steam has managed to generate fanbois to care so much about the vessel their product is delivered in, rather than the product itself.

At their heart, moves like this are pro-consumer. Somehow gamers have come to the conclusion that it's gamer verse developer. When really they're on the same side. When developers have more money, in aggregate they make better products. Having the developer making more money in direct expense to the producer is better for the consumer.

Promoting your product on a platform and then a few weeks before release pulling that product except for pre-orders to that evening and going to another platform is shitty. Everyone who is opposed to Epic has already said why, lack of features, not consumer friendly, etc. If you can't read other posts then you've missed the point already.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rinthea

Trakanon Raider
Promoting your product on a platform and then a few weeks before release pulling that product except for pre-orders to that evening and going to another platform is shitty. Everyone who is opposed to Epic has already said why, lack of features, not consumer friendly, etc. If you can't read other posts then you've missed the point already.

Oh I have read them. They are just stupid reasons.
It literally takes 30 seconds to download and use the epic launcher. Features on a fucking vessel. Jesus Christ, do these people know what they sound like?

• 4Picard
  • 1Smuggly
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
sure, in the short term, this might be bad for this individual game -- but in the long run, it will help. competition has to start growing somehow, small steps like this are how you get a foothold versus a behemoth like Steam.

tho the pre-sale bait and switch sucks i suppose?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Most people don't realize that Steam is older than your average fortnite player.

• 1Barf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Argarth

On the verandah
Just finished watching the latest "Making of ..." video below. This looks fucking amazing, and the kind of game world I would want to get totally lost in.

I really hope it's a blockbuster success, and that all the hand-wringing over the Epic store is just a "blip" in the final analysis.

Guaranteed full price buy for me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Sounds like 4A did a great job with only a few minor issues, shame Deep Silver and Epic had to be such cocksuckers on the publishing end.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Not being able to pre-load on Epic store is fucking hilarious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

You expected any sort of consumer-side features on that shithole? Their only priority is being able to process a credit card.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was watching a streamer early Preach, game crashed on him after 4 mintues then could not get back on, from looking around seems like quite a common problem

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Just played for about an hour (no crashes or problems). It's really good so far, but the conversation queues trigger over each other too frequently. Need to stop (even while stealth using up air filers) if you want to listen to it all. In one part I moved up to two people, listened, thought they were done. But when I moved on a few feet to a door, a conversation triggered behind the door and then the two behind me started talking again. Audio text went from one to the other, so a few lines from one while others talked, then some of the other conversation. The audio played for both over each other, so it was really hard to hear either of them.

So for hubs or anything like that, if you want to listen to something, stop and wait 10 seconds until they are done talking to be sure they are actually done before moving.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I heard the voice acting is laughably bad, and Russian + subtitles is the best experience.

• 1Like

Vorph

The voice acting is fine, just like in previous Metros. Subs in anime or foreign movies are one thing, but fuck that while trying to play a game.

Bugs are already becoming an issue though. I had to reload my checkpoint save twice in the first half hour--once due to a fight off a watchman QTE glitching out and I couldn't move after it, and once due to Anna's AI freezing her in place after the first fight. Not sure if just bad luck or if this is going to be a recurring theme. Checkpoints sometimes save you in a spot where you're already aggro and getting attacked even before the loading screen fades too, which makes it more annoying. Going to have to start quicksaving a lot more often I suppose.

Vorph

I wish there was some sort of UI/HUD option for making shit you can loot or read at least a little bit more noticeable. I'm spending way too much time searching empty areas for crafting materials and notes. Then when about to say screw it and stop doing that I find something like a new gun or a gun I already have but with new mods to salvage from it and I go back to scouring the world. It's most frustrating when you're on a mission with Anna tagging along. If you go more than a short distance from her you miss all the dialogue on the way and she just warps to the next checkpoint. If you want to hear all the dialogue, you have to follow her closely until you reach a spot where she'll stand around forever, then run all the way back to where you started to go hunting for stuff.

ACG wasn't kidding about the audio issues either. I noticed the weird footstep sounds immediately, plus I'm having big problems with dialogue too. Had to increase front L+R and center channel by 3dB and that might not even be enough. Strangely, voices from side and rear channels are fine. The LFE is the worst of all though. Most of the time there's practically nothing coming out of the subwoofer even from explosions, shotgun blasts, etc. .... until you get shot a couple times and that fucking heartbeat sound starts. It's ungodly loud, and one time it got stuck on even after I used a medkit and continued to play through a 5+ minute cutscene afterwards.

Argarth

On the verandah
Vorph Vorph I haven't bought the game yet, but remember reading somewhere about problems with the sound stage, when using Dolby Atmos. Not sure if that applies to you.

Argarth

On the verandah
Best advertisement I've seen for Ray Tracing to date. Phenomenal looking game, even in a youtube video.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Cohh just lost like 9 hours to a corrupted save. Sounds like its pretty common

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
I like the game but it is a little janky. Had a few crashes where I lost a fair amount of progress. The sound is pretty fucked. The footsteps are terrible and annoying and the dialogue is often really low in the mix with no option to turn down ambient sound or whatnot. Graphics are generally really good (no RTX for me). Gameplay is solid but I'm a little annoyed running into unskipable fights when I generally have so little ammo on Hardcore. Sort of a weird design choice. Characters are kind of charming. I'm not sure it was worth paying full price and will no doubt be on sale soon but, hey, long weekend here so I need something to play before Anthem binge begins next week.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like they should have left this one in the oven for another couple months.

• 1Like