Metroid Dread

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Dailysteals.com? Never heard of it.

I'd never heard of it, either. Upon further research, perhaps it's not worth the risk. (tldr; 1 star avg, 4600 responses)

If it's really $50 from Walmart that's obviously more reliable.

Edit: $35 at Walmart but out of stock?. I guess that's limited edition? Current pre-order is $59 with a coffee mug.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Odd that the special edition has a lower price on WalMart.com

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
When I look at Walmart.com it shows regular Dread being $59.88 and the Coffee edition $59.99. So $0.11 for a Metroid coffee mug? I don't even have a Switch and might jump on that train!

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
When I look at Walmart.com it shows regular Dread being $59.88 and the Coffee edition $59.99. So $0.11 for a Metroid coffee mug? I don't even have a Switch and might jump on that train!

It is only in store. Most new games are $10 cheaper at Walmart in store when they first come out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'm going to be at Gamestop when they open and see if anyone cancelled their preorders of the Collector's Edition. Also will "100%" according to them be able to get a Switch OLED that day if I want one because they've definitely had a few of those preorders cancelled.

$50 from Wal-mart is nice but I don't have a Wal-Mart nearby and it'll probably cost me more in gas to go there than I'm saving.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, lot of people are doing it, but I'm gonna pass on pirating. I've got a hackable Switch and no interest in hacking that either. I will admit that the idea of playing it early has appeal, but I didn't wait 18 years for a Fusion sequel just to not vote with my wallet that we want more of these.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So pirate it early to tell us how good or bad it is and then pay for it after the fact.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So pirate it early to tell us how good or bad it is and then pay for it after the fact.
That’s what I used to do before the Steam refund policy hit. Pirate it and play a couple hours, if it was good I’d uninstall and buy it. There’s only been a few games I’ve played in the last few years I went over 2 hours before I lost interest. Grime, cyberpunk.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
2 hours left. I'm going to try to beat Zero Mission real quick before then. I wanted to do replays of ZM and AM2R this week (I've played Super and Fusion to death) but I never had time.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I didn't beat Zero Mission in time, but I did get to Mother Brain. (Which is only like 70% of the way)

Somehow managed to get the last copy of Dread Collector's Edition after I had already gotten the regular edition. It was hidden in the back room. Unfortunately I went ahead and opened both like a moron so I can't just return the regular edition, off to Ebay it goes.

Just reached the second major area. So far it's okay, probably a B-tier Metroid game overall. Better than all of the iffy ones, worse than the best ones. I'd probably put it on a similar level to Prime 3. The first area had some meh stuff (like frequently getting stuck in one-way sections and the scenery being dull) and I've hardly seen any powerups. If the entire game is like this I could see it sliding to C-tier. If the second+ areas are more like normal Metroid it could very easily climb up to A-tier though. I like the music and sound and the general creepy vibe of the whole thing. Definitely avoid spoilers if you can because it makes the whole thing more interesting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Glad I didn’t pick it up this morning. Not paying $60 unless it’s awesome. Fuck paying that for a meh game.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I got my Collector's Edition today, I'm about 1 hour or so in and so far I'm really enjoying it. I haven't played a lot of Metroid games (though I watched a ton of Let's Plays so I know them well), have only really played Metroid Prime and Samus Returns fully.

The gameplay is a lot like Samus Returns, with some new things. I was worried based on the early teasers that I'd be annoyed by the whole "getting hunted by unkillable robots" thing but it's not overdone so far and it gives an interesting twist to the gameplay.

The graphics are gorgeous and the animations are super smooth and fluid, and so far the cinematics are freakin badass.

I was also amazed by how huge the CE is, the box is a good 15 inches tall because the artbook is a full size book, was expecting a small booklet as is common in game CE's. I haven't opened it yet though because I don't wanna get spoiled by the artwork inside.

Bruuce

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ended up getting it and played for about an hour so far. I like it

edit - about 6 hours in now and best metroid ive played since super metroid. no complaints

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just reached the third area so I'm only about 2 or 3 hours in and it still hasn't clicked for me, but I'm sure it will. Things are slow early on with the thermal switches and the EMMIs.

EDIT: Daaaaamn, got the Morph Ball and the game seriously opened up after that, having a lot more fun now.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. Metroidvania style games are pretty much my jam and main genre. I'm about 6 hours into Dread and it is everything I wanted from it. It is a little clunky at first dealing with the EMMIs and getting the morph ball kinda later in the game was weird. Everything works exactly as you would expect. The game is smooth and every environment is beautiful.

Highly recommend.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users