Microtransactions

Stillborn_sl

shitlord
Manufacturer affinity exists. It increases the payout for every successive race you win in your career while using cars from that manufacturer. Free play allows you to "rent" basically any car in the game. It's also better than Forza 4's free play because you gain credits and levels while racing which you didn't before. You're going to be able to sell vinyls/paints/tunes eventually. The store just isn't implemented yet.

Also, if you read the Neogaf thread you'll see that he has never played the game and was basing his post off early screenshots of Forza. The last few pages of that thread have pretty much denounced the OP as FUD.
I haven't gotten all the way to the end of the thread yet, I'll admit. Regarding Affinity, it doesn't drive down the cost of parts as it did previously from what I understand and is what he/others were pointing out. I also, last time I was reading it, didn't recall reading that Affinity gave extra cash for winning career races. Was this recently patched in or had it been there from the beginning?

I also do remember him and others coming back and stating that free play was there but neutered. As in you couldn't race all the cars (only select ones) and that you did not get exp/$/levels from doing free play. Perhaps they were wrong in that you couldn't get exp/levels/$ at the time.

What about these other issues:

Decimated car and track count.
are they adding more tracks? If so free, DLC or MTA? I know cars, like other Forza games, will be released as DLC.

No Public lobbies, No Clubs, No gifting of cars or paints
are these being implemented at a later time? If so is it only due to player complaints/feedback?

No Auction House or Storefront.
You state this is being implemented at some point. Again, due to player feedback/complaints?

Intrusive monetizing offers: "Press Y to accelerate" at the beginning/end of races. Little pop-up menu to 'confirm' whether you're going to buy with credits or tokens.
Are these (other messages perhaps?) as intrusive as some are stating?

Skipped to the end of thread to go over last few pages.
pg 42 (current last page)
not having the free play mode or ability to test drive cars before purchasing
I'm assuming they mean you can't test drive cars in free play any longer w/o owning them?

GrizzleBoy pg 40
Well, here's my input into this whole debacle.
I've played Forza 5 for about 15 hours in total and earned about 1,000,000 credits. I also play with no assists and hardest drivatars.

< snip >

Yes its more of a grind, but longer progression systems aren't inherently bad and in my case its done some good for me I'm terms of how I treat Forza games and the cars I have.
His whole post made for a good read, however, it still comes down to "it's more of a grind". The grind is longer than previous, perhaps not by much but as I first stated it's a slippery slope. It keeps getting worse and people keep saying "well it's not that bad/much worse than before" but eventually you're fucked.

Below addresses a good portion of my concerns with MTA's as well.
pg 41
I see it as a hugeconflict of interest.Developers insert a way to make money from people who want to bypass the grind for cars so developers make additional money. Developers are also in charge of figuring out how long the grind should be.Should developers make the grind totally fine and cause nearly all players to avoid giving them more money, or should developers make the grind slower to entice more people to give them more money?

I'm not saying they absolutely slowed it down, but I'm saying when the same team who has put in a way to make money from transactions is also in charge of figuring out how quickly someone should progress in their game without transactions, it's a conflict of interest. It is easily corruptible. "If we lengthen the grind by 20% over the last game, we have projected that 10% of buyers will opt to buy tokens and will net us X dollars, should we do it?"

What's the answer going to be for people who labored on a game and have the possibility of making X dollars more? Will they champion the gamer and avoid making more money to maintain a faster pace of advancement? Will they champion their wallets and make more money by slowing down the pace of advancement?

Gorestabb

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In "Free" to play games, that's fine. That's how they generate income from their product.

In anything else, I absolutely detest them.

The whole market is heading in a horrible direction, led by companies like EA.

In the good old days companies used to pay staff to test their software before a product was made available, to make sure it was fit for release. Now companies are releasing their game to the public way before it is anywhere near ready, charging customers for the unfinished product, and then justifying it by calling it "Early Access". This absolutely baffles me how they get away with this.

I won't touch DLC with a 50 foot pole. With very rare exceptions it is nothing but a cash grab. More often than not it is content that should have been in the original game, but was omitted either because of time constraints or deliberately in order to sell later. Insome casesyou're paying for content you already own.

I remember when the Horse Armor "DLC" for Oblivion came out I thought "who the fuck is going pay for that?" I never thought it would become accepted as the norm.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I still hate them. We're all gettin fucked in this hobby now, since even if we talk with our wallets and don't buy into games with microtransactions, they're here to stay now.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I still hate them. We're all gettin fucked in this hobby now, since even if we talk with our wallets and don't buy into games with microtransactions, they're here to stay now.
You'd be surprised. If we all spoke with one voice and said no, they'd change. And quick. After all, some $$ is better than no dollars. But this is gaming and they know were all a bunch of addicts and they have the supply. So they know people aren't going anywhere.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Was this recently patched in or had it been there from the beginning? you did not get exp/$/levels from doing free play. Perhaps they were wrong in that you couldn't get exp/levels/$ at the time.

What about these other issues:

Decimated car and track count.
are they adding more tracks? If so free, DLC or MTA? I know cars, like other Forza games, will be released as DLC.

No Public lobbies, No Clubs, No gifting of cars or paints
are these being implemented at a later time? If so is it only due to player complaints/feedback?

No Auction House or Storefront.
You state this is being implemented at some point. Again, due to player feedback/complaints?
It was there from the beginning as was manufacturer affinity awarding additional credits. I'm not sure about the tracks, although every other Forza added tracks iirc. The public lobbies I think isn't going to happen because Microsoft had Turn 10 rush the game to coincide with Xbox One release. The storefront/auction house was always on deck, it just didn't make launch afaik.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
/agree

I pretty much stay away from "Free to Play" games. Too often it's more a "Free to Play", "Pay to Win", which really irks me to no end.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
The two games I play the most are Puzzle & Dragons and Path to Exile - both are awesome games with or without the micro-transactions.

I think that is the key - if you build a shitty game with micro-transactions as a cash grab (Neverwinter, a lot of asian MMOs, most games in the App Store) then you should die.

Plaid_sl

shitlord
Not a way to know how much I've dropped on league...probably around $700

Clash of clans (iPhone) $70. Developed by Supercell, which is worth $760m. They only do mobile games with microtransactions. People have purchased thousands of dollars worth in currency. Takes aprox. $3,000 to purchase enough gems to upgrade walls from level 10 to 11 alone.

Planetside $120

I don't make a ton of money. If I did, the money invested would be way more. I'll tell anyone I hate PTW games yet I'm paying to win on a stupid iPhone game.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
the sad thing about pay to win, its spilled over into kickstarter and the likes. People paying for alpha access, WTF???

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I won't touch DLC with a 50 foot pole. With very rare exceptions it is nothing but a cash grab. More often than not it is content that should have been in the original game, but was omitted either because of time constraints or deliberately in order to sell later. Insome casesyou're paying for content you already own.

I remember when the Horse Armor "DLC" for Oblivion came out I thought "who the fuck is going pay for that?" I never thought it would become accepted as the norm.
You have to love just how fucking stupid the video game market is. EA needs to fucking die.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No the stupid people just need to fucking stop buying that bullcrap.
Why did the get away with Shitcity and Diablo3? Cause it generated a shit ton of money / preorders. If noone bought that crap not only would it go on a firesale 4 weeks later but these shitty system would change once and for all.
But everday a retard leaves the bed and buys some crap. And with gamers theres a shitton of retards waking up every friggin day.

[/rant off]

thefaceless

Golden Squire
At what point are real money transactions just feeding on the addiction to the game, and it becomes no more than a gambling/drug addiction? It sure feels like it, just need that extra little hit, but that's it, I swear.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Ugh, just chiming in this thread to comment on how much I hate microtransactions and how shitty it is that the game market (like most entertainment mediums) is far too saturated with it and other marketing bullshit for this to be going away anytime soon.

I think it all started with WoW, too. I hate that game for so many more reasons than I did when I quit playing it in like 2008. Fuck.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I don't even like freemium games. I'd much rather buy a full game and know what I'm getting, than download a "free" game and find out if I'm going to have to cough up an unknown amount of cash to actually enjoy the game.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I was 100% fine dropping like $5 to get 2x grade and item drops in the PS3 tales games, whatevs.
Some people hate it, I like the option lol

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
As has been noted, Path of Exile is a F2P game done right. On the other side I'd say WoT is not. Although, to be fair, my main gripe with WoT is the paid for better ammo, the rest isn't so bad. I'm OK with less XP, only 2 platoon members and stuff like that if you want to play free (though I have heard on the higher tiers it becomes difficult to level without paying, but I've only reached tier 4).

With regards to MMOs, LotRO was pretty decent while I played it (the first year or so after going F2P, don't know how it is now). Microtransactions in subscription games are another matter. I'm fine if it's only for cosmetic items (pets and mounts and shit) but things such as buying increased XP gain in subscription games (like I heard rumoured in WoW a while back) can die in a fire.

DLC doesn't bother me too much, but I fucking hate game changing exclusives, like pre-order stuff (remember the +xp ring from pre-ordering Dragon Age: Origins?). DLC does have to be properly priced though. I do like the way Paradox Interactive handles DLCs and Expansions and I understand their reasoning for distributing lots of graphical/music DLCs (so as to keep their artists busy). These are optional and don't change gameplay. Their DLCs are optional too. Also, if you don't have an expansion/DLC but join a multiplayer game that has it then it is unlocked for you while playing with that host. Many game companies can learn from Paradox.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I don't particularly mind MT so long as they do not offer an advantage over players who do not indulge in it themselves. Any form of MT that can break a games balance or fairness is ridiculous and i'd likely avoid the game in its entirety.

I am fairly guilty of dumping near or close to maybe $300 on LoL skins and unlocks and i am pretty sure i log in to buy skins and never even use them. Games like that we're its purely vanity and visual are 100% ok to me so the amount i dump in doesnt make me suck any less or play any better.

DLC is fine with me so long as its something thats released 3-4 months after the game. DLC on FPS games like CoD and GoW is fine since its just adding maps etc and nothing game breaking, but DLC released within 2 months and adds extra fire power or story just seems shady since its shit that could have made it into the final product.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I've only ever bought DLC for 2 games and that was Sleeping Dogs and WoW. I really really liked Sleeping Dogs and felt I no shame in buying all the DLC for it. I think I bought a couple pets from the Battle.net store when they had them on sale for $5 each. I didnt need to buy any of those to advance in the game or to even advance in the pokemon mini game they have. I feel like thats how DLC should be. Useless fun stuff that doesnt help at all in the game.
Most other games all I have to do is wait until they come out with the GOTY editions and buy the game for $20 cheaper than when it came out new with none of the DLC stuff. Why waste my time and money buying the DLC? All I have to do is wait, plenty of other people will go nuts buying the crap. On the other hand if no one buys the DLC stuff and they never come out with a GOTY edition maybe companies will get a clue and stop doing the DLC bullshit.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On the other side I'd say WoT is not. Although, to be fair, my main gripe with WoT is the paid for better ammo,
That's what you think, it happens to be wrong

In fact, premium ammo is buyable with credits, so you can have these rounds and not pay any money for it. Also, it isn't "better" ammo. It is inferior to regular ammo in a couple of ways. The only thing APCR is flat out better than AP is at close range with a well angled shot. It loses penetration over distance at a higher rate than AP and at long range, APCR is actually weaker on penetration than AP.
HEAT will always bounce on spaced armor, so you'd bounce hits with HEAT that would have penetrated with AP or even HE.
HESH suffers from its own minor detriments, but that one is by far the rarest type of premium ammo.

rrr_img_52708.jpg

This is how good premium ammo is in WoT.