Microtransactions

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've never purchased any DLC, I considered it for one or two freemium games as a way to support the developers but the cost to reward has always led me to say fuck those guys. I don't understand the vanity stuff at all; we aren't 6-year old girls why are you morons paying to play digital Barbie.

Seriously, him equating Physical Goods to in-game pay-to-win shit is hilarious and shows just how feeble his tiny mind is.
I'm giong to have to agree with him. To me, the stuff that comes with CEs is plastic garbage that will lay around for years then get tossed, arguably worse than DLC since it wastes space and later ends up in a landfill.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm giong to have to agree with him. To me, the stuff that comes with CEs is plastic garbage that will lay around for years then get tossed, arguably worse than DLC since it wastes space and later ends up in a landfill.
Anyone who agrees with him is a confirmed idiot. Buying CE/LEs for physical goods is not the same thing as paying money for Pay-To-Win shit in a video game. They are not even remotely related or comparable. If you don't think it's worth your money to buy a CE/LE then that's your business and a valid thing, but that wasnothis point at all.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone who agrees with him is a confirmed idiot. Buying CE/LEs for physical goods is not the same thing as paying money for Pay-To-Win shit in a video game. They are not even remotely related or comparable. If you don't think it's worth your money to buy a CE/LE then that's your business and a valid thing, but that wasnothis point at all.
It appears you have a case of confirmation bias, and remember he said micro-transactions not pay-to-win. I'm going to make the arguments but I see both as equally pointless.

• How much time does a buyer really spend looking at the CE/LE bonus art books or plastic toys? I'd estimate a few hours at most, the $10, $20 or even $40+ additional spent on the CE/LE offers poor additional value ($/time) compared to the standard game. DLC expansions probably offer more than a few hours worth of entertainment and cost less than a CE/LE.
  • Another possibility is the notion that a CE/LE contains items which will become valuable. DLC is obviously not an investment they cannot be transferred (which ought to be illegal, but thats another topic) thus their value is 0 after purchase. While I've never looked I suspect virtually every CE/LE item is worth dollars at most, see Bean Babies, 90s sports cards, Cabbage Patch Kids, etc. for lasting value.
  • The last argument is the effort to produce either: the plastic statues, art books and CDs are all based on pre-existing material so while they require some productization costs are low, DLC on the other hand requires modellers, artists, developers and game designers. (In-game currencies of course have 0 production value)

Basically CE/LE exploit the collector (hoarding) part of human nature by making us think its time limited, only one change, etc. The reality is if you can afford the additional cost, and you feel you're happy with the perceived value then knock yourself out but don't try and justify it as being somehow better.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Microtransactions are all pay-to-win. You're a dipshit and completely missed the context of his shit - that buying CEs is the same as buying Pay-to-Win, because all CEs come with Pay-to-win stuff. This is of course completely untrue and most CEs do not come with any digital content what so ever.

Continue carrying on being stupid though.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I'd disagree, most CE's come with some sort of digital content.. I wouldn't go as far to say as they're usually "pay-to-win" but they usually have something along the lines of a weapon or character skin or something.
however, digital content and weeaboo statues are polar opposites lol

Then again, i could be getting CE's mixed up with pre-order bonuses. Which i more than likely am now that I think about it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'd disagree, most CE's come with some sort of digital content.. I wouldn't go as far to say as they're usually "pay-to-win" but they usually have something along the lines of a weapon or character skin or something.
however, digital content and weeaboo statues are polar opposites lol

Then again, i could be getting CE's mixed up with pre-order bonuses. Which i more than likely am now that I think about it.
You're probably getting them mixed up with pre-order bonuses. I posted all of my CE/LE's a few posts back. Only a couple out of all of them came with "exclusive" content and it was just pretty much cosmetic stuff and another couple were basically pre-paying for DLC/Map Packs or had Day 1 DLC packed in. The vast majority of them came with nothing digital what so ever.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Microtransactions are all pay-to-win.
I disagree with your point Sean

All ?Pay to wins? are Micro Transactions but not all Micro Transactions are ?Play to Win?.

For Example on Marvel Online I purchased a different costume for my Iron man, it provides ZERO function beyond the original costume and does not make my character any better. I even would put double exp potions in the same vein as not ?pay to win.? Buying a specific item or ability that makes your character better than someone else who did not pay $$ imo is Pay to Win.

I must say I personally find zero benefit to buy a collectors edition game. Sean, what specifically do you find alluring about CEs? What are your top 3 favorite CE?s and why? Do you ever look at the CE?s again a year later?

Sean_sl

shitlord
I disagree with your point Sean

All "Pay to wins" are Micro Transactions but not all Micro Transactions are "Play to Win".

For Example on Marvel Online I purchased a different costume for my Iron man, it provides ZERO function beyond the original costume and does not make my character any better. I even would put double exp potions in the same vein as not "pay to win." Buying a specific item or ability that makes your character better than someone else who did not pay $$ imo is Pay to Win.

I must say I personally find zero benefit to buy a collectors edition game. Sean, what specifically do you find alluring about CEs? What are your top 3 favorite CE's and why? Do you ever look at the CE's again a year later?
I think there's a miscommunication here. Cosmetic purchases are DLC, not what is generally considered "Micro-transactions." When I talk about microtransactions I mean shit like buying more turns in a mobile game, or buying credits, buying exp, buying gold, buying action points to move forward, AC4's pay for stuff that unlocks stuff with money instead of doing it in the game, etc. Basically anything that advances you in the game for money that you would normally do by regularly playing. The whole micro-transaction term came specifically from Pay-to-Win mobile games to begin with and most people associate it that way. Thus, all micro-transactions are pay-to-win.

Costumes are just DLC fluff, not the same thing.

RE: CE/LE's - I just like collecting stuff. I have it all on shelves, I don't keep them boxed up and away. I just think video game memorabilia is cool and I like owning it. It's part of the hobby for me. I have a lot more of a connection to a game when I have a physical copy of it and CE/LEs add even more to that for me. It's why I greatly dislike Digital versions of games and buy Physical whenever possible, I just don't feel connected to digital stuff at all and don't really feel like I own it.

I look at my shelf of games and game stuff and those are all memories for me and important to my life. Some digital list on steam just doesn't have the same intrinsic value or emotion to them, they're empty.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Microtransactions for silly hats and non combat pets = fine
Microtransactions allowing people to gain stats or levels = shit

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Anyone who posts regularly on this forum and says that games aren't great memories and important to them is 100% full of shit or seriously lying to themselves
Games are games man. They're entertainment like movies or books. Myimportantmemories are memories with my gf and her kids or my family. I don't look at the Darth Malus statue collecting dust in my closet and fondly remember anything. TOR was a game. They're just games. I feel sorry for you if the statement you made wasn't hyperbole.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Games are games man. They're entertainment like movies or books. Myimportantmemories are memories with my gf and her kids or my family. I don't look at the Darth Malus statue collecting dust in my closet and fondly remember anything. TOR was a game. They're just games. I feel sorry for you if the statement you made wasn't hyperbole.
I feel sorry for you because you are probably lying to yourself. People here have tons of amazing memories about games. If you honestly don't then you really don't fit in here.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I feel sorry for you because you are probably lying to yourself. People here have tons of amazing memories about games. If you honestly don't then you really don't fit in here.
I have a serious live in gf, two jobs and a family. I game as a hobby - one of many that I have and I post on this forum and others when I'm bored.

You have no gf, no job and only leave your house when you absolutely have to. You game as a replacement for an outside life. You are obsessive about it, completely argumentative and you view your CE items as important memories to your life.

If you honestly think you have more in common with people here than I do, you suffer from more delusions than I thought.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I guarantee you that I have more in common with everyone here than your creepy, pedophile ass dude.

You = Sex Offender.
Me = Not Sex Offender.

khalid

Unelected Mod
If games have no meaning for you, then why do you post so much here? Do you just enjoy being called a pedo? I don't get it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't need to prove it. We all know you are one and you admitted it repeatedly in the thread on foh. You're not going to live that shit down, you sick freak.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I admitted I'd fuck a legal age woman. It's funny to see you ignorant fucking hicks take that statement and turn it into something completely different in order to win message board arguments.

If I'm a sex offender, prove it. It's easy. Link my page on that website. If you can't do that then you're full of shit.

You're not going to live that shit down, you sick freak.
I don't need to live down saying I'd fuck a woman of legal age. That's like saying I need to live down consuming alcohol. Fucking a 16 year old isn't sick and doesn't make me a freak - as long as it's done in one of the 30 fucking states where it's completely legal, normal and unfreaky.