Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The game of the year edition with lots of DLC is on steam with the sale for $4. Went ahead and picked it up, pretty good size download at 45gb so be a while cause I pause it from time to time to do other stuff.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Few hours in, it feels like a classic MMORPURGER. The only saving grace is the Nemesis system and boss battles in general, I went on to murder a few captains right from the get go and didn't realize the story missions give so much points to unlock new talents. So I ran into like 3 captains at once during a quest, killed 1, the second had a sliver of HP when I missed the QTE on death :( I think I'd murder them by now.

The game has terrible execution of skins, I picked the chick because why not, only to grow a beard in every cinematic.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Only played for a few minutes, controls are kinda akward gonna see what I can do with it. But it ran fine on my backup computer that is not a gaming computer at all, at least thru the in game benchmark. All the settings were auto set to high except ambient occlusions at medium on the in game benchmark it had a max fps of 138, average of 60 and low of 52 which isn't bad on a $129 1050ti. I'm sure it lags down a lot the more stuff is in game.

Last edited:

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Blasted through it in about 15 hours, finished like 60% of the game according to the menus, but as people have noted, it feels more like a tech demo than a fully fleshed out game. I have feeling there was supposed to be a third map, since a new tileset for the Tower makes no sense otherwise and you get all the toys only for the last 10% of the game. Character progression is very much off, I unlocked all skill tiers before even leaving the first map and once you get combat brand or 5point streaks, the game bends over and hands you the lube with a wink. Oh and the last bossfight being purely QTE was disappointing, at least Tower who shows up for 10 minutes to be a boss gets a proper fight. Combat could use some work, it's a pain to target the right orc for your executions, I stabbed mine more often than not. The GOTY edition hands you poison immune artifact from the start, which was a bit o_O

Still, it is very much fun once you get over the fact that there is no real difficulty curve. It reminds me the most of Prototype, which also let you become invincible, but was so enjoyable because of it. Batman: Middle Earth

Color me interested in the next one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
the Game of the Year edition of this game is currently available from Humble Bundle for $1 (that $1 also gets you Scribblenauts Unlimited and Batman: Arkham Origins)

i never had the chance to play it before, but for $1 i couldn't pass it up any longer

been playing for three hours so far and totally see why it was on so many end-of-the-year lists as the best game of the year. really addicting. i've barely done anything with the story so far, i'm just running around doing side quests. mainly because combat is so fun that i don't want to advance the story and have the game end any sooner than it has to!

• 1Like

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
The game/story/play options open up as you play, too.

If you're hooked on the combat now, you'll love how it develops.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Never tried this Game but stumbled across this video. 😂

• 1Worf