Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just started this game but I think I'm doing something wrong. I'm going towards the first mission and I inevitably run into 3 different captain guys. 2 archers and an assassin guy. Tried the run and gun tactics, which has worked best but hasnt allowed me to kill them yet. Brute force doesn't seem to work either as I'm surrounded.

Do I just suck at combat? Maybe I don't know all my abilities or ways to be bad ass?

This guy is up to level 18 now. He's unkillable via stealth and fires exploding arrows.

Edit: Got the level 18 Orc that shoots exploding arrows. Then he came back alive and killed me. Lol. But then went back and killed the level 20 assassin Orc that was troubling me.

This game is fucking fun. No wonder everyone is shouting game of the year! Although at this pace it's going to take me a lot longer than 20 hours to beat this game like some had said.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd just focus archers first. You can block every mele hit against and for the ones you cant; you can X out (dive/jump).

I look like spider man in larger groups. And then you unlock unlimited finishing moves and your basically invincible.

Crone

I'd just focus archers first. You can block every mele hit against and for the ones you cant; you can X out (dive/jump).

I look like spider man in larger groups. And then you unlock unlimited finishing moves and your basically invincible.
Ya, would usually stealth around and take out the archers first. The benefit of taking out level 18-20 Captains now, is the runes are better! haha

It's just damn satisfying taking on a whole horde, and coming out alive. Feels just damn fantastic, but it's really helped learn what it means when they turn green, and I can hold them. Then I shank them a bunch of times. That's let me kill them much faster.

Crone

Definitely gonna pick this up shortly. I assume it's infinitely better with a controller?
People in this thread have said the PC controls are pretty good. I play on a Ps4, and it's just fine, although a little different. L2/R2 which are normally run and attack for a lot of games, or attack+ secondary attack, are different things in this game, so some have said it takes a second to get used to that if coming from GTA V, Farcry, Call of duty, etc.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Takes about an hour or so to get used to on the controller. Felt foreign coming from traditional GTA Far Cry SKryim controls

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm like 13 hours in and almost every play session the first time I go to gab someone I throw them instead, wish throwing them was another button press rather than hold.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Decided to try this after playing Assassin's Creed Unity (which actually turned out to be an amazing game, but that's another discussion)... and I found it incredibly boring and overrated. Played for like 2 hours and just turned it off out of boredom. The controls just don't feel right and the gameplay is seriously repetitive already. I don't know how this game was so well received.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

I'm 6 hours in and have only done one story mission. I keep dieing to a dude and then I feel I get unlucky and the dude is a beast and so I spend a couple hours to finally beat him, only to have them come back at me looking damn ugly. Lol

I suppose I could just not care and go after the main story missions or something but Fuck it. I'm having damn fun killing and getting killed and that's what matters.

Edit: I'm going around collecting artifacts and the other things now to try and stockpile money. I want to buy that 2500 skill, so I can kill with reckless abandon!

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This game is fun as hell and I wish they would make a Drizzt game like this but WOTC is afraid of money I guess.

It's just so much fun going around killing Orc's in duels and shit.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
This game is fun as hell and I wish they would make a Drizzt game like this but WOTC is afraid of money I guess.

It's just so much fun going around killing Orc's in duels and shit.
ermagerd a Drizzt game with this gameplay would be siiiiiiiiiick.... add in AI/playable companions Bruenor, Wulfgar, Catti-Brie, Regis... could do a more Dragon Age type AI/turn party combat too

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
ermagerd a Drizzt game with this gameplay would be siiiiiiiiiick.... add in AI/playable companions Bruenor, Wulfgar, Catti-Brie, Regis... could do a more Dragon Age type AI/turn party combat too
Im still wondering why no movie with those guys. That is a nerd IP nobody has mined yet. But they make a shit marlan Waynes vehicle.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
That's honestly a good question. A Drizzt movie would seem to be a guaranteed hit if they just did it like a Marvel movie. It could honestly be bigger than LOTR, it seems much more modern than that was.

• 1Barf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You people are on drugs. Drizzt is garbage and Salvatore is a shit author. Every single story involving Drizzt was the exact same and he underwent zero character development in the 20 some odd years Salvatore cranked out those shitty stories. The single biggest travesty of 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons is that when they advanced the Forgotten Realms however the fuck many years, everyone except Drizzt died.

• 1Like

Crone

Tips on how to beat a combat master that literally loses no health no matter what I do? Even regular attacks don't do anything. Eventually I'll get him by scaring him with a Caragor, but seriously no other options?

He's level 20, and has a poison blade and hits like a truck. I've killed him before, but since hitting 20 it seems his regen is through the roof.
frown.png

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
You people are on drugs. Drizzt is garbage and Salvatore is a shit author. Every single story involving Drizzt was the exact same and he underwent zero character development in the 20 some odd years Salvatore cranked out those shitty stories. The single biggest travesty of 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons is that when they advanced the Forgotten Realms however the fuck many years, everyone except Drizzt died.
I don't think anyone is saying it's some glorious work of fine literature. We're saying it would make gajillions of dollars if done well.

• 1Barf

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I don't think anyone is saying it's some glorious work of fine literature. We're saying it would make gajillions of dollars if done well.
correct.
good game and movie IP. brilliant literature it is not.
similar to star wars... allows for great setting and possibilities within the universe... but generally written and presented horribly

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
While I agree with this for the most part I still think the first? book with Drizzit where he was in Menzoberranzan was pretty fucking amazing. I could read 13 books entirely focused on Dark Elf culture, intrigue and evil gods. Yes I know I'm weird.