Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I feel like either the gameplay will be amazing and the grind will just be a curve you slowly climb, or the gameplay will be somewhere between bad and merely good and once the story-mode is done it'll be time to put it down.

So, one, the story is already in shambles. So you may want to back peddle to game play.

In the moment, these tense battles are the core of the Shadow of War experience, but the overarching narrative outside of the broad "tour Mordor, fight Sauron's forces," feels directionless. Part of that's because you don't spend enough time with any secondary characters (except for Gollum, whose brief appearance is somehow still too long). Characters you meet in the game have relatively short asides that range from the absolutely boring "save some Gondorians" to the furiously funny "learn how fight pits work with Bruz the Orc." It's hard to get invested in the stories of less interesting characters, and once you've completed a few of their quests, they disappear forever anyway. And, like most open-world games, after you've spent a couple hours running around collecting trinkets, it makes an NPC's entreaty about an imminent enemy invasion feel less immediately pressing.

and...

Then again maybe the fortress assaults are extremely fun, but require hours of prep time that can be bypassed with a quick purhcase of 9.99 tolkein bux.

Bingo. And this has already been stated in the review.

Bafflingly that battle isn't the end of the game. Shadow of War continues on, but with its momentum drained completely. What should be an exciting climax instead descends into a tedious slog for a cutscene that doesn't quite feel worth the time and effort. In the game's actual final act, you cycle through the four fortresses you explored previously for a total of 20 more defending siege battles. If you haven't upgraded the Orcs you met early in the game--and up until this point, there was no reason to--you have to replace and upgrade your entire retinue of Orcs to match this more powerful invading force.

And obviously they didn't touch the competitive game play with the shop - because it gets destroyed with pay to win. Warner brothers doesn't want that news out there yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Calling it now, based on the zero reviews I've read, Shadow of War is going to be GotY and Utnayan Utnayan will 100% platinum it on multiple platforms.

• 4Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Metacritic - 86
OpenCritic - 85

COGconnected – 94/100
Polygon - 7.5/10
Gameinformer - 9.5/10
Press-start - 8/10
PCGamer - 7.3/10
WCCFTech - 8.9/10
Criticalhit - 9/10
Gadgets 360 - 8/10
Pushsquare - 8/10
Gamesradar 4.5/5
Shacknews - 9/10
USGamer - 4/5
Gamespot - 7/10
IGN - 9/10
GodisaGeek - 10/10
Dualshockers - 8.5/10

Review scores seem suspiciously high given people are bringing up big problems. Fuck game journalists though for real, most of them are giving Forza 7 also a 9/10 or so and the game had serious flaws at launch. I'm going to wait for Angry Joe review.

Your just better off pulling up a Twitch Stream or YouTube video and judging for yourself than putting any faith into the website reviewers anymore.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Fuck WB for fucking up this game. Definitely waiting to bargain bin this, after they hopefully tune down all the apparent "grinding" etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So you could care less?

Sorry I just can’t help it when people fuck up that saying.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I could care less what the youtuber thinks. I just want to see the gameplay and "let's plays" are great for that.

How much less could you care? Are you at peek caring now? We need to know how much care is currently involved so we can measure what "less" means.

I fucked up and did not cancel my pre order in time....

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The phrase "I don't give a shit" works and is pretty clear when used.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Meh with the $10 back from Best Buy could still play this and flip it in a week and probably come out ahead. But nah, I'll wait until there is a GOTY edition that either fixes the problems or is dirt cheap and why not.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I could care a LOT less about this game. I cant wait to get it day 1 amd kill allllll the orcs.

• 1Barf

Sulrn

Deuces

Paid reviews or not, being able to watch actual game play footage can say a lot. Like @Wrathin3L pointed out - besides my high horse, the main reason I'm not getting this game until it's bargain bin territory (if at all) is you can tell from the Dev Dragon fight that the game is unrefined and unpolished as the original tech concept demo (SoM) was.

They don't understand or (more likely) don't care what makes a good game at this point. The first go around they correctly assumed they could push a project demonstration with the LotR tag and market it as a game. Being able to see that for yourself with a youtube stream can be a major factor about lying to yourself or being forced to open your eyes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Paid reviews or not, being able to watch actual game play footage can say a lot. Like @Wrathin3L pointed out - besides my high horse, the main reason I'm not getting this game until it's bargain bin territory (if at all) is you can tell from the Dev Dragon fight that the game is unrefined and unpolished as the original tech concept demo (SoM) was.

They don't understand or (more likely) don't care what makes a good game at this point. The first go around they correctly assumed they could push a project demonstration with the LotR tag and market it as a game. Being able to see that for yourself with a youtube stream can be a major factor about lying to yourself or being forced to open your eyes.

Please bro, the game isn't Doom or a Nintendo Switch. It has to be good.:mad:

• 1Picard

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
It's a shame that they fucked up with the lootboxes in this game, I loved the first one and was looking forward to this one. Maybe someone will mod in a way to get Legendary orcs without the paywall.

• 1Like