Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
man just stop posting

I think that was my first post to the thread (certainly first anywhere near release). Wasn't going to lie and just say "Hey, it's not necessary" - I caveated my difficulty choice as appropriate. And normally I'd avoid Easy like the plague on any game, but my list has 5 games this month and I work 40-60 hrs a week (And November has two indie games on my list too and some AAA as well) - my choices were play Easy or backlog. If Act 4 doesn't change my opinion I'll probably play again in the future with a re-Gamefly once DLC is done.

With the nemesis system tweaks, it's still got a reasonable challenge on Easy (I played first part of Act 1 on Normal before the switch) - frankly, it's only the trash that seem more difficult, if Easy vs. Normal adjusts "named" it's not by much or my rolls gave me wimpy ones for Normal and the hardest for Easy.

The end is looking super grindy with or without lootboxes though. I'm not sure if the lootbox argument really matters unless it gets funner, beginning of Act 4 is not fun thusfar. Enjoyed 1-3 a ton though, Act 4 start is a drag, but we'll see, sounds long from the trophy guides I've seen though, so probably be 2-3 days depending if I can finish it before I'm back to work on Friday.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I've played for a couple hours and the game is no joke on nemesis so far. There's fucking orcs everywhere and you can't swing a broken sword without hitting a captain. I ran out of useful attacks on a shield-captain last night so I unleashed a caragor who proceeded to 2v1 me with the captain.

A++++ game, GOTY material Utnayan Utnayan on suicide watch

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I've played for a couple hours and the game is no joke on nemesis so far. There's fucking orcs everywhere and you can't swing a broken sword without hitting a captain. I ran out of useful attacks on a shield-captain last night so I unleashed a caragor who proceeded to 2v1 me with the captain.

A++++ game, GOTY material Utnayan Utnayan on suicide watch

Tuco hasn't even reached ACT 2 yet, and is saying everything is fine 2 hours into a game when the bullshit happens in Act 4. (And everyone knows it)

This is how the phrase "Caveat Emptor" came into existence. Tuco are you French?

Vaclav

Still lootbox free in Act 4, but needing to take a break after 4-5 hrs of it this morning, very repetitive thusfar.... getting bored.

Act 4 definitely seems unfun, but I really don't even think lootboxes would help it right now.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Still lootbox free in Act 4, but needing to take a break after 4-5 hrs of it this morning, very repetitive thusfar.... getting bored.

Act 4 definitely seems unfun, but I really don't even think lootboxes would help it right now.
Is Act4 also modified by your difficulty settings? If so it seems like it's especially useless to get loot boxes.

What are you primarily doing in Act4? Is it working to build up your army, which I found kind of boring in shadow of mordor?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What are you primarily doing in Act4?

grumpy-credit-card.202442617.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
So the game is unfun in act 4 (unless you use loot boxes) but you see no need for loot boxes. Gotcha.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
In other words, exactly as we said. An artificially inflated end game grind in which you won't have fun, but want to win a trophy or see an ending, and are more or less forced into buying your Orcs through the cash shop, or forcing yourself through a never ending slog for 30-40 hours on end of doing the same damn thing over and over.

The only thing that should be on Suicide Watch is Tuco Tuco 's Visa.

• 1Worf

Vaclav

In other words, exactly as we said. An artificially inflated end game grind in which you won't have fun, but want to win a trophy or see an ending, and are more or less forced into buying your Orcs through the cash shop, or forcing yourself through a never ending slog for 30-40 hours on end of doing the same damn thing over and over.

The only thing that should be on Suicide Watch is Tuco Tuco 's Visa.

It's a slog regardless - I've not played Fortnite, but it's basically feeling like a series of Fortnite missions one after another in succession. I'm progressing through them fine without cash shop - nor do I think cash shop would speed it up - but I'm just not finding it fun, perhaps they eventually will pick back up, but after 5 hrs of it today just grinding defense mission after defense mission, I got bored.

It wasn't frustrating from non-cash shop method requiring grinding it was just frustrating because it was dull and repetitive for the ACTUAL GAMEPLAY.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
What about doing that 30-40 hour grind with a huge vape pen?

How did you guys survive EQ again?

It's called farming pixels bro. Get used to it!

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Almost done with act 2. I have spent no real life cash yet. I still can't use my army but I do have 19 of em. (From the in game currency.)

Yes there are a butt ton of orcs to kill, but other than the duel axe guys they are fun as hell to just mow through. The Double axe bosses are tough for me to beat though.

Love the Boss Ambushes, and really love the saves from the gondor sargents. That shit is just fun. Truly loving the game so far. As for the act 4 grind. I will comment when I get there.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I hear after you finish the fort defenses the secret ending is actually a Shadows of Mordor Kart Racing game.

• 1Worf

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, know why Shadow of Mordor was $4 or so on steam a few months back. Had to prime the pump.
Actually that's just any WB game, they get really discounted pretty fast. I think I pre-ordered the first game for fucking $33 with no special membership anywhere. Mad Max has been $4 a million times. The Batman games hit super low a lot too.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Which is why I will grab this on sale for 5 bucks in 6 months :)

• 1Solidarity

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Hell maybe Tuco will done grinding Act 4 by then!

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
$4 does save you $56 towards catch-up loot boxes!

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Well I should hope you will get your $326.64 worth.

• 1Worf