Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I didn't care about the first one. But this one looks pretty intriguing!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I didn't care about the first one. But this one looks pretty intriguing!

You mean you didn't care for the first one? Because this one just seems like SoM1++. If you didn't like the first I don't see anything here that would make you like this one.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
There's lots more here, more engaging environments, having your own minions that can help or betray at any time, raising your own army and stronghold basically. There's a bunch more here.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You mean you didn't care for the first one? Because this one just seems like SoM1++. If you didn't like the first I don't see anything here that would make you like this one.

I think I was playing something else at the time and just forgot about it.

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah the fact that the missions are totally dynamic where everything can happen and not being scripted at all just looks awesome.

Being rescued by a follower and promoting him, this kind of thing, it just sounds so cool.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Figured they were on to something great after the first game, but holy fuck that looked amazing. Not many gameplay videos that have made me this excited for a game.

Looks like it could be an incredible year for gaming.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Admittedly, this is really douchey, but I couldn't get past how "gamey" the nemesis system felt in the first one. There's nothing I dislike about the game, and I really like the CONCEPT of the nemesis system... but when I was playing it felt so transparently algorithmic. Did anyone else experience this?

This looks like an awesome experience, and I hate that I already know I won't like it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Its frustrating that after how hyped I am for this with watching that video that I have to wait till Aug. to play it. :(

Malkav

French Madman
Its frustrating that after how hyped I am for this with watching that video that I have to wait till Aug. to play it. :(

Be glad they didn't do that one+ year before release like most companies would have done.

spronk

FPS noob
new 4K open world trailer. game looks really good, i need to actually sit down and play the first one tho

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
wow, that music was bad, like really bad. Hope thats not in game.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
BundleStars is running a 30% off pre-order deal until June 30th. I am tempted to buy the Gold Edition ($100) with that discount it is $70 and comes the following...

ABOUT THE GAME
Please note: This is a Pre-Order offer. Your Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Gold Edition PC Steam key will be available on or before the release date.

Pre-order now and forge your army with:

• Legendary Champions War Party
  • Exclusive Epic Sword of Dominion

Gold Edition includes:

• Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
  • Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
  • The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
  • The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
  • Gold War Chest
  • Over $135 in total value

Nemesis Expansions include a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set.

Story Expansions introduce a new campaign, playable character & abilities, side missions, enemies, allies & more

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
BundleStars is running a 30% off pre-order deal until June 30th. I am tempted to buy the Gold Edition ($100) with that discount it is $70 and comes the following...
Tonight I ended up pulling the trigger on this deal. I watched a handful of videos over the last few days and it just looks awesome.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm getting annoyed. Nemisis Forge is supposed to be live now on Shadows of Mordor but it's not showing up for me. It's not listed in my game modes (I play the xbone) and it's not a manual update.

No one on the official forums can seem to answer why this is and I'm getting pretty salty over it because I have a really strong follower I'd like to transfer over.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
As I said in my semi-review in the shadow of mordor thread:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

I think I'm in line with the rest of the good gamers in enjoying the game but felt like I became an invincible juggernaut during the first act. They're supposed to have easy/medium/hard, but I feel like when you really enjoy an action RPG you're not challenged until the difficulty has words like "nightmare" or "legacy" or "hurt me plenty" in it.

I'm somewhat apprehensive about Shadow of War because A: I'm afraid they'll stray from the original system and use a larger budget to make a more generic RPG and B: I'm not sure if I'm excited about building up and maintaining an army. I had more fun in the first 25% of the Shadow of Mordor game being a lone ranger trying to survive in a hostile environment.

Still, I'll buy this full price on release (or preorder it) just to support the idea of open world RPGs, especially procedurally generated ones.

Last edited: