Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
You can get the pre-order for this on GMG and a few other places (Gamesplanet maybe? I forget) for 20% or more off, not sure if it'll be more discounted on release but probably not until it goes on a real sale.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
As I said in my semi-review in the shadow of mordor thread:
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

I think I'm in line with the rest of the good gamers in enjoying the game but felt like I became an invincible juggernaut during the first act. They're supposed to have easy/medium/hard, but I feel like when you really enjoy an action RPG you're not challenged until the difficulty has words like "nightmare" or "legacy" or "hurt me plenty" in it.

I'm somewhat apprehensive about Shadow of War because A: I'm afraid they'll stray from the original system and use a larger budget to make a more generic RPG and B: I'm not sure if I'm excited about building up and maintaining an army. I had more fun in the first 25% of the Shadow of Mordor game being a lone ranger trying to survive in a hostile environment.

Still, I'll buy this full price on release (or preorder it) just to support the idea of open world RPGs, especially procedurally generated ones.
Yeah, the previews sound like they added a bunch of extra systems that you will have to balance, or at worst they just become checklists and it will play like The Ubisoft Game, diluting the original system. I buy very rarely at launch, so I might just wait for the GOTY edition with all the extra DLC like extra tribes and chiefs baked in. I also want to know if they tackle the progress, where you had no time at all to play Mordor Manager, until you got to the very end.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Odds are that all it will do is let morons with too much disposable income burn out on the game in a week

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
My concern with implementing them in a single-player game is that that the developer / publisher have an incentive to make the game more grindy to sway more players towards microtransactions. Not saying that will happen, I have some trust in the developer and I'm willing to bet that the tuning and core gameplay will be just as awesome as in the original so it shouldn't even matter, but it's still concerning to me.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
It's single player that affects you not at all. Why care?
Because it compromises the objective of making the best game possible. If there's a shitty grindy part, is it because of malice or incompetence ? I'd love to believe the latter, but you can never be absolutely certain. I'm waiting for the GOTY anyway.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
This kind of shit has been sneaking into games for years at this point and has yet to negatively affect me in any way so my ability to muster outrage about it is depleted.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This kind of shit has been sneaking into games for years at this point and has yet to negatively affect me in any way so my ability to muster outrage about it is depleted.
I think the point is that if it sinks its roots too deep into single player then game developers will make a game harder so that without the gear benefits from the cash shop you will have a much harder time completing it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Hey, soon every single player game can just be like the old arcade games where the bosses would just instagib you randomly to make you dump quarters in.

"Hero! The dragon is too strong, but buy these potions of divine light to resurrect mid battle for only $4.95 each! Of course, you could go defend the town for sixty more hours instead to gather the strength you need..."

• 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hey, soon every single player game can just be like the old arcade games where the bosses would just instagib you randomly to make you dump quarters in.

"Hero! The dragon is too strong, but buy these potions of divine light to resurrect mid battle for only $4.95 each! Of course, you could go defend the town for sixty more hours instead to gather the strength you need..."

Hey in Dungeons and Dragons you had to click past THREE warnings before the game would let you challenge the Ancient Red Dragon.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's non-cosmetics which means the game, at least to some degree, is balanced around the cash shop. Considering they mentioned things like the power level of your minions and there was pseudo-Diablo loot in the first one, this really is obnoxious. The only reason they'd make it is if they thought it'd make money. If the game wasn't going to have factors where it's potentially worth spending money, it wouldn't make money. Thus, it probably has fucked the game already.

Only exception would be if the shop idea was forced on the devs from higher up (which seems likely regardless) and devs managed to completely screw over the cash shop instead with game design.

Either way, fuck it. Too many good games that don't have this nonsense to worry about it. Wolfenstein will keep me busy.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
It's single player that affects you not at all. Why care?

Cause you are a complete fool if you think this will just be simple innocuous MT. MT is everything wrong with gaming today as it allows developers to put all of the coolest and best behind paywalls and huge grind timesinks.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mass Effect 3 multiplayer allowed you to buy gear with real cash, therefore Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was terrible.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Warner brothers forces this shit down. Now I'll wait for the GOTY sale. I have too much to play anyway. :)

• 1Solidarity