Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Sulrn

Deuces
steam review said:
I like a ton of people HATE microtransactions in general, let alone in a full priced game but I was willing to ignore it...only you can't.. not only does the market flash in the menu *drawing your eye subtly not an issue for Me, but an issue for anyone with adictive personalites*. Now to My main issue with it...you're forced to open any preorder bonuses in the market by lookbox, and that'll likely be the case with anything that is weapon/orc based. FORCING you into the market IS an issue as it's their cheeky as ♥♥♥♥ way as to say *hey...why you're here...you know...buy more stuff*

But the biggest insult so far by miles is the fact in a cut scene at the end of your first fortress assault a character as the ♥♥♥♥ing cheek to even say BUY LOOTBOXES. The quote is as follows *If you're ever in need of more boys, look for an orc called the headhunter, he'll help you out.* Thats the orcs name on the market screen...the headhunter.. Yeah they're not shoving it down your throats at all.

Won't lie, this review excerpt bothered me. Story driven games driving you to an external market seems counter-intuitive to your audience for this style of game. It's one thing to have ads on the load screen, but to have in-game references makes me want to question some devs on their concept of basic design philosophy.

I blame @Tarrant !

FTFY

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I spent a mildly embarrassing amount of money on costumes in Marvel Heroes, a game that I haven't even touched for almost a year now, and I can't imagine spending a penny on a fucking lootbox, or on a game that featured them so prominently.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I spent a retarded amount in Summoners War. One night I tallied it up, then promptly uninstalled the game and imposed an inviolable rule on what constitutes a valid gaming purchase - content only.

If public reception of this game spontaneously improves, I'll consider it. But as long as the consensus remains that its fourth act serves as a funnel toward gacha-like purchases, I don't mind waiting a year to grab it for 5 bucks.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
To be clear, I have ZERO problems with Cosmetic purchases (i.e. Dota/LoL/POE all examples of what I consider correct monetization, which btw, are all F2P titles). But we are talking game play/content based purchases....and in a game you paid 60 dollars or more for! What Shadow of War, Battlefront, Forza, and COD are doing is a far cry from the Dota/League/POE F2P model.

A very significant change has occurred, and the gaming community has one way to voice our displeasure: our wallets. You are casting your vote each time you spend a single dollar to support these types of games and are showing companies like EA or WB this is ok.

• 4Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Just a heads up for you that already bought the game or plan on it. On the PC version you can use CheatEngine to give yourself currency to buy the boxes without spending real money.

Console players are fucked, though, so I'd just wait until the price plummets before buying.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
PC version is cool with nvidia ansel capture, can zoom out and shit with it like this. I bought the xbox version but gonna switch to digital when it goes on sale, then cross play on xbox one X and pc depending on where i feel like playing. hope nvidia and cheatengine and shit work on the Win10 version but I have a feeling they won't cuz windows 10 versions of games fucking suck dick

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I spent a retarded amount in Summoners War. One night I tallied it up, then promptly uninstalled the game and imposed an inviolable rule on what constitutes a valid gaming purchase - content only.

If public reception of this game spontaneously improves, I'll consider it. But as long as the consensus remains that its fourth act serves as a funnel toward gacha-like purchases, I don't mind waiting a year to grab it for 5 bucks.

Don't be a cock tease, what was the number?

Just a heads up for you that already bought the game or plan on it. On the PC version you can use CheatEngine to give yourself currency to buy the boxes without spending real money.

Console players are fucked, though, so I'd just wait until the price plummets before buying.

Is using Cheat Engine the sort of thing that could get me in trouble with Steam? I never use cheats of any kind so I have no clue if there would be consequences etc.

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Hard hitting review from Motherboard. If you enjoy this game you support slavery.

https://archive.fo/fgBoz

After reading that I'm really bummed they did the loot box thing. I would make any immortal Orc that killed me pure cannon fodder for the rest of the game and every time it'd ask for a rest I'd send them off to solo a drake, ogre or anything they are scared of for my amusement.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't be a cock tease, what was the number?

Around a thousand. Somebody datamined the number one arena ranked dude's payment history and it was well over 100k, and this was near the game's inception, so people have certainly wasted much more since, but for me, a thousand spent on a fundamentally unrewarding rngfest was a pretty dismal revelation and the prospect of spending more on similar purchases...well, I'll just say I won't buy anything other than raw content ever again, for any game.

• 1Picard

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Act 4 down - it doesn't improve, lootboxes or not. Play the game and pretend there's no Act 4 and it's a great game though. Act 4 just isn't fun and really the story caps off pretty well with Act 3. Act 4 just seems like filler "unending content" to monetize in the longrun a la Mass Effect 3 MP, but not nearly as fun.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I played for about two hours today. Game has more issues than just loot boxes. UI is pretty bad, sound mix is not great, animations are a little 'off?'

Those are just technical impressions after a short play period. But I kind of expected more after something like H:ZD set the bar for some of these things.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Around a thousand. Somebody datamined the number one arena ranked dude's payment history and it was well over 100k, and this was near the game's inception, so people have certainly wasted much more since, but for me, a thousand spent on a fundamentally unrewarding rngfest was a pretty dismal revelation and the prospect of spending more on similar purchases...well, I'll just say I won't buy anything other than raw content ever again, for any game.
I spent about $500 on the TCG in the Star Wars Galaxies Game, considering that game was decommissioned I feel like a fool. At least your game still exists.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Is using Cheat Engine the sort of thing that could get me in trouble with Steam? I never use cheats of any kind so I have no clue if there would be consequences etc.

No, I use it from time to time to get rid of issues like in this game.

I played for about two hours today. Game has more issues than just loot boxes. UI is pretty bad, sound mix is not great, animations are a little 'off?'

Those are just technical impressions after a short play period. But I kind of expected more after something like H:ZD set the bar for some of these things.

Maybe it's just me but the game looks flat and the lighting isn't very good. I've been playing the first one and I'm not sure the sequel looks better.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Heh still having a blast. Just got my first fort capture. That was kinda neat. Loved the twist.

My next mission after I sent one of my captured guys to attack his much stronger legendary blood brother. He didn't like that much and when I attacked the legendary to help him out he flipped out and broke my control, but him and his minions still wanted to kill the blood brother but wanted to kill me too.

I got the blood brother low and the damn traitor went into a frenzy and executed him before I could capture the blood brother. Fucker.

So then I try and redo control on the traitor and he had leveled from executing his blood brother and was too strong to capture, so I shamed him and am now in the process of hunting him down. Filthy stinking traitor.

This game is great. Still not spent a dime other than the purchase and I have by far already gotten my money's worth.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This video encapsulates how it feels to play this game:

Game is so incredibly fun and probably has the best player death mechanic of any game ever.

I can tell that Utnayan Utnayan is secretly playing the game and moving his goal posts publicly to some kind of "OK, everything I was whining about pre-release is all bullshit, it's just the IDEA of loot boxes that we need to collectively fight against, right?"

• 1Picard

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I can tell that Utnayan Utnayan is secretly playing the game and moving his goal posts publicly to some kind of "OK, everything I was whining about pre-release is all bullshit, it's just the IDEA of loot boxes that we need to collectively fight against, right?"

Not a fucking chance. I am playing shadows of Mordor again though. And still have insufferable input lag on ps4.

I won’t be touching this until the GOTY edition goes on sale for 4.99 on a steam Christmas sale. Same unfortunately now goes for battlefront 2.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I bet Tuco isn’t even playing. I mean he wants to but he maxed his credit card and can’t buy loot boxes.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I bet Tuco isn’t even playing. I mean he wants to but he maxed his credit card and can’t buy loot boxes.
Nope, he is playing. Know how I know? Hot Pockets Stock rose $4 since Tuesday, Tuco Tuco poopsocking like it is 1999.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I hear you can simulate the Nemesis system by going outside and talking to/attacking other humanoids, without needing to buy the box.

• 2Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
going outside

5L2mCqR.gif

• 2Like