Middle-earth: Shadow of War (Shadow of Mordor Sequel)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People were using cheat engine to buy unlimited (silver) loot boxes.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War PC Cheat Gives Infinite Loot Boxes
Well, there's no loot boxes, so people aren't getting infinite loot boxes.

But the save files are all stored locally, so you can edit and cheat whatever you want. Including adding hacked orcs to your fort defenses that are more than perfectly rolled.

I asked a similar question of the SoW community, basically asking whether the top forts were all full of hacked orcs.

The response was that because in online conquests, defenders are chosen from a pool of players who are active in online conquests themselves, so a cheater would have to create a bunch of hacked orcs, and then continue to play. I'm sure there are some people who do this, but the game would get boring real fast once you started to bypass the central point of the game (developing your orc army). So people say it's rare to see hacked orc forts in online conquests.

I can't confirm myself, I'm still working my way through shadow wars and trying to level up high enough to dominate the orcs I'd fight in online conquests.

Grimey

Golden Knight of the Realm
I ended up creating a monster today. Zugor the Enforcer, immune to fire, frost, poison, curse, and beasts, agile, no chance, and thick-sinned. He killed me once around level 44 and vaulted up to about level 80. A few one-shot deaths later he was lvl 85. Worst of all, he got Iron Will.

He showed up at the end of Act 2 (when you attack Barad-dur) and I nearly shit my pants. Thankfully, I had Eltariel and 6 other captains there to back me up. It took all of them around 15 minutes to kill Zugor, and two of them died.

I'll secretly miss that fucker.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I'm pretty much just wrapping things up and trying new builds now.

I find that the end-game sieges are so chaotic with 6+ captains all jumblefucked together that I can no longer be effective with normal attacks, and instead rely almost entirely on AE attacks + executes + ringlord wrath.
I build my wrath using the bright lord's sword + freezing finishers on uruks (which also clears them out quickly because they run away)
I use two piece vengeance + shadow strike (either knockdown + ground drain or shadow dominate if I don't need the arrows) to make it easy to cycle between spending health for might-based attacks + getting health back.
Defensively, I use Blackguard Armor for its high defense vs enraged enemies (though I'd prefer a rare one with def vs enraged + def vs ranged), a warmonger rune that has 50% less damage to followers (a must have) and a cloak that gives reduced poison duration.
There's a few things I'd like to change about my gear, (ex: work 2pc dark in or try 2pc bright lord) but I think in high level assaults my general strategy of jumping into the shit-pile, popping off an AE attack, freeze-finishing grunts, dumping wrath and then dumping might against captains is the way to go.
One thing I struggle with is the most valuable captains for assault are berserkers (especially savage zerkers), but they are also the hardest to dominate since they always have enrage on mortal wounds. I just hope I can capture the point and pull the enrage captains back (or use shadowstrike pull if they aren't arrow immune) to let their enrage wear off before my captains kill them. This of course is really time consuming and means I won't get a gold rating if I do it more than once.

some good resources:
Post your preferred build! - Middle-earth: Shadow of War Message Board for PlayStation 4 - GameFAQs
Steam Community :: Guide :: The Complete Guide to Fortress Assault & Defense

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
juHbdQ-YYUDN_7qMpah2IqtcsWzj5fdEFpTWaS9YWTA.jpg

Angmar the Witch-King

Gavinmad Gavinmad

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I picked this up for $25 from Newegg a couple weeks ago. I didn’t play the first game for more than a few hours. Something about the procedural content generation was very offputting to me.

Much to my surprise, I’m really enjoying myself. I’m playing on Brutal (Nemesis sounded tedious) and am about 20 hours or so into the game. What I love the most is how the game opens up and forces you to adopt different strategies when you create NO CHANCE 50+ levels higher than you nemesis that has adapted to your most effective tactics.

For example, I couldn’t defeat this level 85 overlord, so I assigned a couple spies and gave my body guard a pack of caragors (overlord’s only fear). What made this guy particularly difficult for me was immunity to frost, one shot ranged attacks, NO CHANCE, and injury enraged him. I ended up rolling around the room like a dark souls parody (desperately avoiding his one-shotting ranged attacks). I’d score a few hits when his rage wore off and he was dazed. But most of the fight was me doing a terrible Sonic the Hedgehog impersonation while my body guard whittled him down and finished him off. It was a little frustrating, but it was also verrry satisfying when all my planning and preparation came together and me and my orc bros defeated him and captured the fortress.

The story (haven’t played expacs) is a little bland, but I imagine they weren’t given a lot of creative freedom in regards to breaking with canon.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah... this series shits all over canon. The devs have even come out and said that the game is pretty much set in an alternate setting.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Having gotten to the epilogue, while the game doesn't really directly conflict with the 'modern' canon, the whole story comes across as high-school level fan fiction from someone who doesn't really understand the setting. The shit they did with the Nazgul was super fucking retarded. They ripped off the story of the fall of Numenor for "Suladan", and then added Helm Hammerhand and Isildur to the Nine even though the Nazgul were already around 1300 years before Isildur died.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
And leaving aside complaints with respect to the larger LotR canon, the big 'twist' with Eltariel and Celebrimbor is absolutely retarded. Basically every time you talk to Eltariel, she goes out of her way to mention how untrustworthy Celebrimbor is and that he's really no better than Sauron, and then when he dominates Isildur she gets proof positive that he'd just be another Sauron...which causes her to do a complete 180 and switch to his side.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And leaving aside complaints with respect to the larger LotR canon, the big 'twist' with Eltariel and Celebrimbor is absolutely retarded. Basically every time you talk to Eltariel, she goes out of her way to mention how untrustworthy Celebrimbor is and that he's really no better than Sauron, and then when he dominates Isildur she gets proof positive that he'd just be another Sauron...which causes her to do a complete 180 and switch to his side.
Agree 💯. The departure doesnt even make sense from a game play standpoint because the post storyline game feels flat without celebrimbor.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So how do you grind xp in act 3? I assumed it was online conquests but despite having only done a couple I keep running into people with lvl 75+ warchiefs/overlords when Im only lvl 49 and it's just a complete waste of time to even try.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So how do you grind xp in act 3? I assumed it was online conquests but despite having only done a couple I keep running into people with lvl 75+ warchiefs/overlords when Im only lvl 49 and it's just a complete waste of time to even try.
The online conquest leveling system is pretty simple. Your assault rating determines how tough the forts you attack are, so you'll rank up every time you win. You usually have to get gold ratings like 5x in a row before running into high level forts, so if you've got a low assault rating and run into a 75+ warchief it probably means they are putting only a few orcs in with really high level to make them low/mid level but hard to beat.

If you take a screenshot of the pre-fight image that shows all the orc levels I could probably explain more why you're seeing a tough fort and not an easy one with a low level assault rating. This screen:
Shadow-of-War-Fortress-Assault-Overview.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The online conquest leveling system is pretty simple. Your assault rating determines how tough the forts you attack are, so you'll rank up every time you win. You usually have to get gold ratings like 5x in a row before running into high level forts, so if you've got a low assault rating and run into a 75+ warchief it probably means they are putting only a few orcs in with really high level to make them low/mid level but hard to beat.

If you take a screenshot of the pre-fight image that shows all the orc levels I could probably explain more why you're seeing a tough fort and not an easy one with a low level assault rating. This screen:
Shadow-of-War-Fortress-Assault-Overview.jpg

What I asked was the fastest way to level.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What I asked was the fastest way to level.
At low/mid levels, focus on the main quests at a time, as in, do them one at a time. I did the one for the tree lady first because that lets me tame drakes or something.

At high levels,you get so much XP from everything it doesn't really matter what you do, but conquests give a lot of XP. But you should probably avoid doing the vendetta missions so you can unlock the weapons at max level.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So the only way Talion's actions have any meaning is if he resists the power of the ring and keeps Sauron's forces bottled up in Mordor all the way up until shortly before the events of LotR start right? Except Minas Ithil falls in TA 2002 and Sauron isn't defeated until TA 3019. So what, this random nobody shmuck resists the power of the ring for almost a thousand years?

Every time I think the story of this game couldn't rustle my jimmies any farther, it somehow manages to anyway.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So the only way Talion's actions have any meaning is if he resists the power of the ring and keeps Sauron's forces bottled up in Mordor all the way up until shortly before the events of LotR start right? Except Minas Ithil falls in TA 2002 and Sauron isn't defeated until TA 3019. So what, this random nobody shmuck resists the power of the ring for almost a thousand years?

Every time I think the story of this game couldn't rustle my jimmies any farther, it somehow manages to anyway.
years in mordor are only a few weeks.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually I forgot about something in the boundless depths of my nerd rage. Osgiliath falls in TA 2475, so Talion resists the ring anywhere from a couple decades to a couple centuries, they go out and conquer Osgiliath, and then Sauron fucks off for about 500 years.

By which I mean he and Celebrimbor ethereally suck each other's dicks until the One Ring is found.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
This has a pretty good Steam sale right now at $12.49. Is this game worth picking up?