Midsized Trucks: Tacoma, Colorado, or Frontier?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Title says it. 2017 models. I'm in the market for something like this and wanted to know if anyone had an opinion they'd like to share about midsized crew-cabs. I've test drove these three so far and decided to just skip the Honda Ridgeback. I do not have a particular brand loyalty. Any advice?

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Why skip the ridgeline when it's rated best in class by a lot of reviewers? Honda makes great vehicles

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Have you drove an F-150? It's the most popular truck in America, and it's amazing. I owned a 2016 for a while and loved it. I only got rid of it because I moved and it didn't fit in my garage. The platinum model has so many damn bells and whistles.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had a Colorado back in 2009 that only lasted me 28k miles before I got fed up with it and traded it in for a Toyota. Never looked back. That thing was plagued by issues and a woefully underpowered inline 5 under the hood. It was bad on bad. Don't know anything about what GM has done to that line since then but it was the last straw for me. I'll never buy another GM again (after having brand loyalty and getting fucked on 3 Chevy vehicles in a row)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I looked at a bunch before settling on a normal full size pickup.

The Tacoma was my favorite, but A) there were almost no incentives available for the higher end models (TRD OR and TRD Pro) since they sell like hotcakes and B) The Taco has a slightly non truck seating position thing going on which is a little weird.

The Colorado value wasn't there after adding options and Chevy tried to kill my Pa, so I passed. Nissan is dying so I didn't bother.

Ultimately what it came down to is the a full size pickup is barely bigger than a mid size in the current generation. The new models aren't letting you park that thing anywhere you wouldn't be able to fit a 150/1500. Plus, similar features cost more in their mid size, the incentives are less and aftermarket support is abysmal in the mid size comparatively.

I am somewhat excited for the Ranger to reenter the US market, I'm hoping with a Raptor model it will cause enough competition to drive the midsize market pricing to be more reasonable and give more options in the future. I just didn't want to spend the same amount for less features over a few inches right now.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Buy an F-150 you fucking faggot. The Ecoboost engine is awesome.

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Dodge Ram 1500 with crew cab or bust.

I'm sorry if this isn't very helpful

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I looked at a bunch before settling on a normal full size pickup.

The Tacoma was my favorite, but A) there were almost no incentives available for the higher end models (TRD OR and TRD Pro) since they sell like hotcakes and B) The Taco has a slightly non truck seating position thing going on which is a little weird.

The Colorado value wasn't there after adding options and Chevy tried to kill my Pa, so I passed. Nissan is dying so I didn't bother.

Ultimately what it came down to is the a full size pickup is barely bigger than a mid size in the current generation. The new models aren't letting you park that thing anywhere you wouldn't be able to fit a 150/1500. Plus, similar features cost more in their mid size, the incentives are less and aftermarket support is abysmal in the mid size comparatively.

I am somewhat excited for the Ranger to reenter the US market, I'm hoping with a Raptor model it will cause enough competition to drive the midsize market pricing to be more reasonable and give more options in the future. I just didn't want to spend the same amount for less features over a few inches right now.

Basically made my post for me. Toyota Taco or Tundra both suffer from being pretty amazing at various times but have become outdated. But they still enjoy kinda high prices and even crazier resale often making buying new make as much sense as used unless you find ligthly used with like 10k on it to take some of that new vehicle bite. Depending what you want, the Taco still has lots of offroad chops and cool camping equipment. Buying stuff like an SR5 and adding a few things yourself is a lot smarter than the higher end trims that are fairly pricey and still outdated. But if you dont need the latest apple bullshit integration they are just fnie.

It was extra cool until they recently discontinued FACTORY supercharger option to boot.

Depending on what your criteria is Iannis, Palum and others are right, the "mid size" these days are as big or bigger than 2000's era full size. So yeah look at Ford though found them all pricey a bit, and in real world applications the turbo models dont get as good mpg but are fun at least. The Dodges for being turds in some areas do have pretty nice rides and interiors for a truck.

Going back to why i like my Tundra, is in the double cab, it's still roomy enough for adults to fit comfortable in the back with their own door, and able to keep a 6.5 foot bed. Makes fitting a ton of shit in a lot easier than a competitor whos options are giant cab 4ft bed, or even in the access cab types commonly still only have 4-5.5 ft beds. And if you just want a big suv the crew cab tundra you can play monopoly on the floor in back.

• 1Supertaster

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I picked up an 03 Tundra a few years back that has the body style before the Tundra went all massive. It's barely larger than current Tacomas but has all the full size options. It's been fantastic. The engine is bulletproof; almost 200k miles and i haven't done a thing outside of basic service (plugs, fluid changes). The reason Toyota has high resale value is that with basic maintenance it will run forever. I updated the stereo to get bluetooth (double DIN form factor) and put on a roll-n-lock tonneau. Replaced a side mirror that some asshole knocked off when it was parked, and the rear gate latch cause some other asshole tried to force it open. Super simple to work on.

I could get a newer truck but tbh i don't want to.

e: i had a 12' colorado as a rental once and it was the most uncomfortable vehicle i've ever been in. You couldn't pay me to get one.

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

I had a rental Ford Expedition limited trim for a month... i guess it drove okay for a big stinking thing.... but... Sync sucks and for how big the damn thing is- I am MORE comfortable in my 2012 nissan rogue...more room for my knees/legs and headroom... the interior was cheap as hell- everything was hard plastic and felt hollow - every vehicle I have owned felt like a friggen Mercedes compared to the interior of this thing... I didnt like 1 stalk controls on the wheel.

I know the Expedition is not a 150, but its damn close.

You can get nissan Frontiers for cheap - because they are long overdue for a new generation- and they just redid the Titan.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had a rental Ford Expedition limited trim for a month... i guess it drove okay for a big stinking thing.... but... Sync sucks and for how big the damn thing is- I am MORE comfortable in my 2012 nissan rogue...more room for my knees/legs and headroom... the interior was cheap as hell- everything was hard plastic and felt hollow - every vehicle I have owned felt like a friggen Mercedes compared to the interior of this thing... I didnt like 1 stalk controls on the wheel.

I know the Expedition is not a 150, but its damn close.

You can get nissan Frontiers for cheap - because they are long overdue for a new generation- and they just redid the Titan.
Had new 2017 Ford Expedition rental for a couple months as well, and it pretty much sucked. My actual fleet vehicle is a Ford Fusion so I didn't improve much. But I do agree. SYNC sucks, and as a 6'5" dude, I can't seem to get comfortable and I'm a 1000 miles in.

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Had new 2017 Ford Expedition rental for a couple months as well, and it pretty much sucked. My actual fleet vehicle is a Ford Fusion so I didn't improve much. But I do agree. SYNC sucks, and as a 6'5" dude, I can't seem to get comfortable and I'm a 1000 miles in.

Yeah my rental was a 2017 as well, had 9k miles when I got it and 10k when I turned it back in. I am 6-8 - so the running board was in the way and not at a good height for me to actually use.. but that is not really an issue. for a 58k vehicle it felt like crap - I did enjoy the cooled and heated seats, but the QX60's work better imo. I know I am not the target size for any car... but when I had it everyone was like "ohh its so big you must love it! are you comfortable in that over your Rogue" and I had to explain why it was a resounding NO. Trucks tend to be the same, they may be "bigger" but the design is what matters, it matters how the dash curves (or does not curve) down where my knee rests on the center as I drive.

Okay...done ranting... ;-)

• 1Solidarity

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah my rental was a 2017 as well, had 9k miles when I got it and 10k when I turned it back in. I am 6-8 - so the running board was in the way and not at a good height for me to actually use.. but that is not really an issue. for a 58k vehicle it felt like crap - I did enjoy the cooled and heated seats, but the QX60's work better imo. I know I am not the target size for any car... but when I had it everyone was like "ohh its so big you must love it! are you comfortable in that over your Rogue" and I had to explain why it was a resounding NO. Trucks tend to be the same, they may be "bigger" but the design is what matters, it matters how the dash curves (or does not curve) down where my knee rests on the center as I drive.

Okay...done ranting... ;-)
Yes! Our knees! If a car or truck has a sweet curve at the knee spot, I'm so in heaven!

I've moved my seat in my Fusion forward and back and adjusted the steering wheel and can't find the sweet spot just yet. I hope I get there!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
FYI the tacoma gen three transmission 'AI' is all sorts of fucked up, probably due to constantly trying to hit optimal mpg zones.

It bounces between gears with no rhyme or reason, downshifting/upshifting out of fucking no where, due to always trying to keep rpms low feels like always towing and laggy as shit (plus a few more issues I'm not even going into).

I bought a 'shiftsense' box which adds a brain to the sequential-shift mode (doesn't fuck with oem/ecu) which provides new shiftmapping for a proper engine power curve. Night an day difference. Can't believe how Toyota dropped the ball so much on the gen 3's.

I really like the truck after installing the shiftsense though.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Buy a ford F150, anything else is just a perp. Here in MI, I still see 80s, 90s F150s all over the place, and this is in 6 month winter salty state. also they sell like a million of these a year, many being leases, so Im sure you could pick up a ~30K mile one, certified, with 2 yr warranty for a good price.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I pretty much won't drive a car with a full center console because of my knee hitting it and I'm only 6' 2". Pickup truck with a bench seat is the ideal setup for my right knee and if I get in a car and my knee hits the dash I know immediately that I'm in the wrong car.