Might & Magic X: Legacy

Tin Man_sl

shitlord
Looks like early release for this starts today on Steam (and UPlay, but who uses that). Sounds like you can play through the first act with 4 of the 12 planned classes, with the full game releases next spring. Haven't played it yet, but looks like a pretty good throwback to the old M&M games and plan to check it out tonight.

Anyone try it out yet? Looking forward to this and Grimrock 2 to satisfy that oldschool rpg itch.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Nice. I've played all the old Might & Magic games and loved them. Never got into the Heroes of M&M myself (which makes me one of five people in the world) but I loved all the traditional ones.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
OMG - they're going back to square at a time movement? /swoon - cat dying yesterday impacted my finances I'm comfortable spending this month, but I know what's gonna be day one or so next month!

Troll_sl

shitlord
Oh god oh god. I'm having flashbacks of Lands of Lore.

It's like what Legend of Grimrock could have been if the developers had made more content or people had kept modding it.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Might&Magic III - V is where it's at! Screw everything after that, but this might be pretty cool.

rrr_img_41015.gif

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I had one half of Might and Magic Worlds of Xeen as a kid, and beat it. Could never find the other half at stores to buy and this was basically preinternet, so I could never finish it.

It was great, though. Fun.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Oh man, I remember playing these games for like 6 months each. Good memories, can't fucking wait to try this.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
You can buy 1 - 6 over at gog.com (good old games). 1 and 2 are VERY dated and pretty much impossible to complete without a step by step walkthru. 3 - 5 are still as awesome today as they were in the 90s. The only annoying thing with 3 is that you can enter the final area before collecting all the crap you need to beat the game and get locked into that area with no way to go back and get those items.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
This new game is basically a time-machine. A time-machine that goes back to 1987 and rapes a 12-year old boy named Jait, and all his lovely memories of Cron.

You can buy 1 - 6 over at gog.com (good old games). 1 and 2 are VERY dated and pretty much impossible to complete without a step by step walkthru. 3 - 5 are still as awesome today as they were in the 90s. The only annoying thing with 3 is that you can enter the final area before collecting all the crap you need to beat the game and get locked into that area with no way to go back and get those items.
1-2 are the same today as they were at release. They are far easier today with the internet. We had to, you know, take notes and shit. Like every other RPG. Go try beating any Ultima, or Wizardry.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ah, the days of using grid paper to draw maps to mark the teleporter that sent you into the middle of a wall and instantly killed your whole party... which you then had to basically CR with a new party!

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Might&Magic III - V is where it's at! Screw everything after that, but this might be pretty cool.

rrr_img_41015.gif
My god. Xeen was and probably is still my favorite game ever, with FF6 being a close second.

It seems that buying the "early access" for X on Steam also gave a copy of Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven which doesn't seem to actually be in the Steam store. The intro to that game is almost as good as the old Command and Conquer vids heheh.

Third pc game I ever played was this will never forget the first, Cyclops I ran into.. got this mofo from best buy in a bargain bin for 3 dolla
rrr_img_41085.jpg

Venijk

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I played a few hours today and they were pretty enjoyable. The combat is satisfying, although a little slow, however, it's actually more difficult compared to Xeen (starting out at least) which I'm pleased about. The music and art are both excellent.. it feels like the old Might and Magic games.

The only (minor) gripe I have is movement is pretty slow.. although I haven't played around with options yet, maybe there is a way to speed things up.

Overall it has me really looking forward to next Spring.

Edit: Played a bit longer, it's also extremely buggy, and definitely feels like it's half a year out from release still.

Raign

Golden Squire
Yeah, it is pretty much unplayable at the moment due to the bugs so I would hold off a few months. That said, it holds a lot of promise.

Azziane_sl

shitlord
The movement of "stop and go" in that video looked absolutely terrible. Iirc I did not feel like that in Legend of Grimrock which also is tile-based (not sure if tile is the right term). LoG felt pretty fluid from what I recall so it doesn't have to be so choppy.

The titles in the series that I recall (6 I think was my favorite) were all full 3D environments though. I never got to play Xeen or the earlier titles. Flying and tossing fireballs at groups of goblins is still one of my best RPG memory to date. As a spiritual successor/legacy type of game I'm not sure why they went the tile route. Not that I care as long as it's fluid. Just a weird choice they made there.

Northerner

N00b
It is a style choice really and does go back to the early days. I kinda like it (I think) but will have to wait for a functional build to really know where they are going with this.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
As someone who grew up on Bard's Tale (and on Ultima 1-3 although much lesser amounts than Bard's Tale) I can absolutely see why they'd go back to tile at a time. Screw the haters who don't get it.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yup, I very much enjoyed replaying Xeen a couple of months ago. The full 3D works too, but it was really cool to revisit tile-based.