Mikhail and Hodj's Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iannis

Musty Nester
When I get tired the patterns bleed through. But you get used to that. Other than that and an occasional, "Holy shit would you look at how pretty that rainbow is? What does it meeeaeaaan?" I've never had shit.

Man, they REALLY shouldn't ever tell kids about flashbacks. I heard that when I was a kid and I was like, "No way. Way? THAT'S FUCKING AWESOME. GIVE ME FIVE HITS OF BLOTTER PLEASE."

The reality is less exciting. They really shouldn't lie to children like that. It's just counterproductive.

iannis

Musty Nester
And honestly I think the occassional moments of Zen are natural, I just make fun. It's mostly just being over tired and then my eyes go a little bit funny.

Who's don't? Booooring.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Yeah DARE definitely made me interested in finding out what a hallucination was.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Yeah DARE definitely made me interested in finding out what a hallucination was.
I have never understood this impulse. Why would you want to have your brain see shit that wasn't there?

I was only cool with smoking pot just enough to mellow me out. When it made me paranoid just once, that was enough for me to swear it off.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Why would you want to have your brain see shit that wasn't there?
See, in my universe, the question is "Why WOULDN'T you want to have your brain see shit that isn't there?"

Really though, our brain filters out ridiculous amounts of information and data on a daily basis, so I dunno that LSD is necessarily making you see things that aren't there, so much as it is making you see things that are there that you aren't used to seeing because your brain automatically filters it out. Then your brain strives to make sense of it, and it leads to the interpretation, much like when someone looks at a cloud and sees a train or a bunny or something, of the patterns as something that relates to your own experiences.

LSD was a search to find myself bro. I found it. It was a long hard struggle but I wouldn't be half the person I am today if it weren't for daring to go where others fear tread. And by that I mean taking extreme amounts of LSD at times. I had a really good hookup in my late teens and early 20s, I was getting it cheap. Really really cheap. And from the hippies too, so it was the good shit.

Also my childhood was incredibly sheltered, I was doing everything I could to break out of the bubble. LSD will burst a fucking cultural filter bubble like a fucking needle will a balloon.

"Taking LSD was a profound experience, one of the most important things in my life. LSD shows you that there's? another side to the coin, and you can't remember it when it wears off, but you know it. It reinforced my sense of what was important-creating great things instead of making money, putting things back into the stream of history and of human consciousness as much as I could." -Steve Jobs

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
LSD is awesome right up until the time it's not, and that time can be the worst experience of your life. I had several of those "worst" experiences, yet my friends and I would continue to do it. Weeee! We had an awesome connection back in the day as well. These days, it would take work for me to score pot, let alone acid.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I dunno man I had way worse experiences on mushrooms, but I think I might be allergic to them or something.

But yeah I can't find shit anymore, and mostly because I don't try and don't need to. I did more than enough back then to satisfy me for life.

Not that I wouldn't take it if it was offered and free.....

But there's no way I can deny that it was a critical part in the formulation of my personality and consciousness through my teens and into my early 20s.

khalid

Unelected Mod
LSD was a search to find myself bro. I found it.
This is what confuses me. I don't understand what it really means to "find yourself". I am not attacking the idea, I don't understand the idea. I just never experienced feeling like I didn't know myself or what I wanted. Maybe I just got lucky since I always pretty much knew where I wanted to go with my life. I can't even remember a time where I didn't want to do what I am doing now.

Well, I guess maybe with my doubts in religion early on, where I felt this huge guilt that I didn't believe in god and didn't know what I should do about that. Even then though, it was more me knowing I didn't believe in god and wishing I could believe in it to fit in.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Mushrooms were rare to come by in south Florida. We had them a few times though. Yeah, I definitely don't try to find stuff any more either. My friends and I were pretty rambunctious in our teens/20s. Life in my late 30s tends to be a lot more tame.

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't know if there's a way to explain it that would really capture the impulse. I'm not even sure if it's a rational impulse or an irrational one. I'm sure you'd think, "How in the fuck could that be a rational impulse?" But to fidget with the fundamentals is not exclusively irrational. But I remember I used to say things like, "We have a responsibility to explore our conciousness". Which yes, that's some hilarious over-indulged white teenage bullshit. But at the time I remember actuallymeaningit. There but for the Grace of God I am become Tanoomba.

A sort of thrillseeking, I guess, which can be introspective. I'm sure some introspective insights race through your head when you're bungee jumping off a rickety 150 year old railroad bridge. That's 90% of what it is. But with cool colors and you don't have to even put a jacket on. You can sit on the couch bare assed if you like! Even if you don't like. At some point you will probably decide that your pants are up to no good.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Also, quoting Steve Jobs on the effects of LSD doesn't help much. Didn't he believe that hygiene would cure cancer?

The wiki on it does make it seem more interesting. Particularly that it is apparantly not addictive (didn't know that) and that flashbacks seem to mostly just be a myth.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Mushrooms were rare to come by in south Florida. We had them a few times though. Yeah, I definitely don't try to find stuff any more either. My friends and I were pretty rambunctious in our teens/20s. Life in my late 30s tends to be a lot more tame.
The acid was way more common here too, and yeah, my 30s are tame in that regards, but the schooling helps make up for it.

This is what confuses me. I don't understand what it really means to "find yourself". I am not attacking the idea, I don't understand the idea. I just never experienced feeling like I didn't know myself or what I wanted. Maybe I just got lucky since I always pretty much knew where I wanted to go with my life. I can't even remember a time where I didn't want to do what I am doing now.

Well, I guess maybe with my doubts in religion early on, where I felt this huge guilt that I didn't believe in god and didn't know what I should do about that. Even then though, it was more me knowing I didn't believe in god and wishing I could believe in it to fit in.
That second line is where my desire to find myself came from. So maybe you understand more than you understand you understand.

Look, my mother was a bit overbearing as a kid. A bit being an understatement. She couldn't have kids of her own, so she was kinda crazy about protecting her children from bad influences, harm, etc.

I'm sure there are far worse parents, the homeschooling religious types that lived adjacent to us as kids for one. But my mother really was a high strung stress ball (almost certainly contributed to her dying at 66 instead of say 75) who was terrified of cutting the apron strings and it led to some pretty confused and difficult moments, and I definitely had no real firm grasp on what I wanted or where I wanted to go with my life till my mid 20s at least.

When you're so sheltered from other points of view, and you start to move into the broader world and you see all these points of view, you have to find a way to cope. Some people cope with it without any problems, others cope with it by doing shit like becoming rabidly religious and refusing to listen to opposing points of view or dedicated to a particular political ideology or some shit. I coped with it by attempting to blow a giant hole in it with drugs. It worked for me. For others, it doesn't. Some of them end up dying from it. Some end up going crazy. Others experiment a little, realize its not their thing, and go find other ways of dealing with it. Each person walks an individual path in this existence.

I dunno man. I can't explain my head very well. I just knew as a kid that there was more to the world than I was being told and when I discovered pot and acid, they seemed to help me comprehend that broader picture. I really agree with Jobs: It helped me to see that there are other sides of the coin. Sometimes you don't even remember everything you felt or experienced during the trip, but it helped me radically. I would almost say it awakened my awareness or consciousness from a deep sleep in way. Nothing magic or religious in nature. Just plain old I was dumb from too much religious upbringing telling me not to question anything, and the acid said "Question everything. Question everything, all the time".

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Also, quoting Steve Jobs on the effects of LSD doesn't help much. Didn't he believe that hygiene would cure cancer?

The wiki on it does make it seem more interesting. Particularly that it is apparantly not addictive (didn't know that) and that flashbacks seem to mostly just be a myth.
I think he bought into some pretty whacky all natural remedy shit. Basically he felt cutting his body open to address the cancer was an invasion. I respect that. I don't agree with it but I respect it.

The thing about acid is there are so many people who are credible who have taken it and say it improved their lives. I'm not trying to convince you to take it, only to help you understand where my mind was when I chose to do it, and how I felt it impacted me personally. I wouldn't suggest others take it. That's entirely up to them based on their perspective of their existence.

Flashbacks aren't a myth, but they aren't nearly as common as the propaganda makes them out to be, and generally aren't dangerous, and, no, LSD is not addictive and has been shown repeatedly to have no long term impacts on the brain or body.

Its a really interesting chemical, in fact at least some of my interest in chemistry comes from my love of that chemical in particular.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Fucking Rainbow Gatherings man.

Bitches just don't know.

Naked dirty hippies in the woods taking acid and living off food stamps.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its a tough call because the two groups almost certainly bleed into one another at various points.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Polymerase chain reactions and the discovery of the structure of the DNA molecule?

You can thank LSD for that

10 Scientific and Technological Visionaries Who Experimented With Drugs

9. Francis Crick - LSD
Francis Crick - of the DNA-structure discovering Watson, Crick, and Franklin - reportedly told numerous friends and colleagues about his LSD experimentation during the time he spent working to determine the molecular structure that houses all life's information.

In fact, in a 2004 interview, Gerrod Harker recalls talking with Dick Kemp - a close friend of Crick's - about LSD use among Cambridge academics, and tells the Daily Mail that the University's researchers often used LSD in small amounts as "a thinking tool." Evidently, Crick at one point told Kemp that he had actually "perceived the double-helix shape while on LSD." [Image via NYT]
6. Steve Jobs - LSD
LSD was a big deal for Steve Jobs. How big? Evidently, Jobs believed that experimenting with LSD in the 1960s was "one of the two or three most important things he had done in his life." What's more, he felt that there were parts of him that the people he knew and worked with could not understand, simply because they hadn't had a go at psychedelics. This latter sentiment also comes through in his recently-published biography, wherein Jobs goes so far as to associate what he interpreted as Bill Gates' dearth of imagination with a lack of psychedelic experimentation:

"Bill is basically unimaginative and has never invented anything, which is why I think he's more comfortable now in philanthropy than technology. He just shamelessly ripped off other people's ideas."

"He'd be a broader guy," Jobs says about Gates, "if he had dropped acid once or gone off to an ashram when he was younger."

5. Bill Gates - LSD
Which is funny, because Bill Gates totally did experiment with LSD, though an excerpt from a 1994 interview with Playboy reveals he was much less open about it than Jobs:

PLAYBOY: Ever take LSD?
GATES: My errant youth ended a long time ago.
PLAYBOY: What does that mean?
GATES: That means there were things I did under the age of 25 that I ended up not doing subsequently.
PLAYBOY: One LSD story involved you staring at a table and thinking the corner was going to plunge into your eye.
GATES: [Smiles]
PLAYBOY: Ah, a glimmer of recognition.
GATES: That was on the other side of that boundary. The young mind can deal with certain kinds of gooping around that I don't think at this age I could. I don't think you're as capable of handling lack of sleep or whatever challenges you throw at your body as you get older. However, I never missed a day of work.
3. Richard Feynman - LSD, Marijuana, Ketamine
Feynman was always careful about drug use, for fear of what it might do to his brain - giving up alcohol, for example, when he began to exhibit symptoms of addiction. In Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!, he writes, "You see, I get such fun out of thinking that I don't want to destroy this most pleasant machine that makes life such a big kick. It's the same reason that, later on, I was reluctant to try experiments with LSD in spite of my curiosity about hallucinations."

Nevertheless, Feynman's curiosity got the best of him when he became acquainted with none other than John C. Lilly and his sensory deprivation tanks. Feynman experimented briefly with LSD, ketamine, and marijuana, which he used to bring on isolation-induced hallucinations more quickly than he could when sober.

2. Kary Mullis - LSD
Who, you may be asking, is Kary Mullis? Let's put it this way: If you've worked in a biomedical research lab since the 1980's, there is an exceedingly good chance you've performed a polymerase chain reaction (aka PCR, the lab technique that can turn a single segment of DNA into millions of identical copies), or are at least familiar with it. You have Mullis to thank for that. While Mullis didn't invent the PCR technique, per se, he improved upon it so significantly as to revolutionize the field of biomedical research, securing himself a Nobel Prize in chemistry in the process.

The secret to Mullis' breakthrough? In a September, 1994 issue of California Monthly, Mullis says that he "took plenty of LSD" In the sixties and seventies, going so far as to call his "mind-opening" experimentation with psychedelics "much more important than any courses [he] ever took." A few years later, in an interview for BBC's Psychedelic Science documentary, Mullis mused aloud: "What if I had not taken LSD ever; would I have still invented PCR?" To which he replied, "I don't know. I doubt it. I seriously doubt it." [Photo via]

1. Carl Sagan - Marijuana
Preeminent astrophysicist and cosmologist Carl Sagan not only smoked marijuana regularly, he was also a strong advocate for its use in enhancing intellectual pursuits - though not as publicly as others on this list. Having said that, Sagan did contribute an essay to the 1971 book titled Marijuana Reconsidered that spoke to the virtues of marijuana use. The piece, which you can read here, was penned under the assumed name "Mr. X." The identity of its true author was only revealed after Sagan's death.
Okay okay, the last one is just pot. But still. Carl Sagan was the shit.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Where can I pick up some LSD right now, in st. louis, on a saturday? Arguing with Column is making me want to trip out.

Status
Not open for further replies.