Minecraft

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Is Realms the way to go w/ the Better Together update? Can we have our own vanilla server and connect to that using tablets/Xbox/Switch ?

I've played Minecraft for all of 10 minutes, but the boys (7, 8) play it on the Switch and it's mostly running around trying not to die or doing things w/ the different themes/characters they have access to. Wanted to get into building and stuff and have a place where we can reliably share, looks like I'll need to make sure they've got Live accounts and know their passwords if they're going to share devices, etc.

Edit: per the realms faq the Switch version isn't supported yet, but will be.

Last edited:

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Got some Minecraft Server and Cross Platform questions.

I should start by saying I have never played Minecraft, but my kids both play on their own Switch. I have not signed them up for Microsoft Accounts yet, so I guess they just just play on generic servers? Anyway, I have a Rasberry Pi Emulator that is kind of worthless now that Nintendo offers classic games as part of their online deal, so I am considering turning that into a Minecraft Server for them and some friends, I will probably pick it up on PC too. So here are my questions...

• Can anyone suggest a YouTube Video that they have used to set up a private server with a Rasberry Pi?
  • To play on a private server do I need to create individual Microsoft Accounts for each kid?
  • Cross Platform Question - Can I play with my boys on their Switches and me on PC?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Got some Minecraft Server and Cross Platform questions.

I should start by saying I have never played Minecraft, but my kids both play on their own Switch. I have not signed them up for Microsoft Accounts yet, so I guess they just just play on generic servers? Anyway, I have a Rasberry Pi Emulator that is kind of worthless now that Nintendo offers classic games as part of their online deal, so I am considering turning that into a Minecraft Server for them and some friends, I will probably pick it up on PC too. So here are my questions...

• Can anyone suggest a YouTube Video that they have used to set up a private server with a Rasberry Pi?
  • To play on a private server do I need to create individual Microsoft Accounts for each kid?
  • Cross Platform Question - Can I play with my boys on their Switches and me on PC?

2. If you are just setting up a local server, you can just set the server too be able too connect locally without needing too login thru MS servers. (You wont have access to character skins doing this though)

3. I believe you have to use Bedrock edition if you want too play with switch clients..(not sure I've played around with it but mehh lack of mods is lame, and vanilla is just *barf*)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Folanlron Folanlron thanks for your help! I have a few more questions/clarifications.

• That is the same YouTube Video I found, I was hoping for some first hand feedback from someone that used it or one similar. Have you used that video guide?
  • Playing Cross Platform limits the mods?
  • Can my Rasbery Pi Server allow some friends to log in remotely with a password etc? And would that require my kids to have Microsoft accounts?

Last edited:

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Folanlron Folanlron thanks for your help! I have a few more questions/clarifications.

• That is the same YouTube Video I found, I was hoping for some first hand feedback from someone that used it or one similar. Have you used that video guide?
  • Playing Cross Platform limits the mods?
  • Can my Rasbery Pi Server allow some friends to log in remotely with a password etc?

that is the best setup video out there.

Cross platform has 0 mods and I don't see console producers allowing mods(even though bedrock edition some "mod" API, but its' garbage compared too java edition.)

Yes it can but doing it that way you will have too setup Accounts via Mojang(java)/MS(bedrock) (Whichever version you use)

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
that is the best setup video out there.

Cross platform has 0 mods and I don't see console producers allowing mods(even though bedrock edition some "mod" API, but its' garbage compared too java edition.)

Yes it can but doing it that way you will have too setup Accounts via Mojang(java)/MS(bedrock) (Whichever version you use)

Alright, so if I were to take me playing on PC out of the equation could I have a Rasbery Pi Server with mods for my kids to play on their Switches?

Sorry for my ignorance, like I said I have never played Minecraft and the last server I hosted was a Team Speak Server circa 2004.