Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love that purple. Looks tremendous!

My Dwarven army is growing. Tabletop level, gonna build the rest of them and do a round of touch ups and highlights.

At least that's the plan ha

20191026_201601.jpg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some of you guys with printers may be interested in this. Some pretty cool models. Dashel Dashel Haus Haus

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So let's talk 40k orks for a min. For any of you that do or have painted orks. What's your formula for skin?

I ask because I'm hunting around for a real good parade ready skin formula. I've been hunting around and have a few that I want give a try. And right now it looks like I'm going to be trying out the method from sprockets small world. Which is pretty in depth.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys have any tips for getting sand onto bases? I used some white pva then kinda rained some sand on them, it worked ok but I was interested to know if you all knew a better way to do it.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I dont sand alot anymore, I usually go with the citidel textures or cork type bases, when I do use sand I usually try to base before I add the model. If I sand while the model is on I actually use superglue and over cover it and then shake off the excess, not sure of this is the best way or not. I also prime the sand once it is on and then drybrush and wash it.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dont sand alot anymore, I usually go with the citidel textures or cork type bases, when I do use sand I usually try to base before I add the model. If I sand while the model is on I actually use superglue and over cover it and then shake off the excess, not sure of this is the best way or not. I also prime the sand once it is on and then drybrush and wash it.
Right now I'm going with pva, sand, pva, primer, grey base, lighter dry then some black wash. Unfortunately I based my minis before so I have to work around that.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When I do sand I water down some pva glue, paint it on to the base with a brush and then dip the base in to a Tupperware containers full of sand and move it around. This generally gets good coverage and no mess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Been working on a pair of mimics the past day or two. Finished the base and shade and just waiting for them to dry. Gonna put in the eyes and some highlighting/dry brushing tomorrow. With these, I had a really hard time getting to certain spots on the minis, namely a lot of the spaces inside the mouths. Any advice on getting into weird areas like that?

1BA75E11-40A1-4DB4-BC76-E1433F7E8623.jpegDA798217-0E73-452D-B8A5-DB3BC30CF7D5.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Been working on a pair of mimics the past day or two. Finished the base and shade and just waiting for them to dry. Gonna put in the eyes and some highlighting/dry brushing tomorrow. With these, I had a really hard time getting to certain spots on the minis, namely a lot of the spaces inside the mouths. Any advice on getting into weird areas like that?

View attachment 228617View attachment 228618
I don't have any advice for you, but I really like that barrel mimic. Where did it come from?

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
For some reason I always thought it was 2 chests, another one to put on my shopping list next time I'm back in the us.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
You guys have any tips for getting sand onto bases? I used some white pva then kinda rained some sand on them, it worked ok but I was interested to know if you all knew a better way to do it.

I put my sand in a tupperware container, I use Gorilla Wood GLue full strength, the elmers shit is weak AF. Coat where you want the sand, then dunk the base into it, shake it off. Give it 30 to dry then I usually use a paint on primer (Vallejo or stynylrez) black or white (Depending on base color), since the primers are polyurethane primers they actually bind everything together nice and tight, then paint or dry brush up depending on your final color.

Also goto micheals to get yo sand, can get a container of mini rocks and sand for like 8 each and they last forever: I mix a bit of the mini rocks into the sand, You can also just grab a sandbag from the hardware store and have enough for 20 years.

1572326620138.png
1572326643079.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fortunately I have a beach about 10 min walk away from the house, and here a 1kg can of rocks costs like 1.50 USD so I'm straight for that. Thanks for all the advice!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 228617View attachment 228618

My only advice is use small brushes and paint and fully finish the deep areas before you even start other areas around it. Trying to go back in and finish an area like that when you’ve finished areas you’re trying to keep your brush away from is a disaster for me every time.

Also, I’ve seen brushes with angled handles but I have never used one myself. I could see sometimes where it would be useful but so rarely I don’t bother.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of you guys with printers may be interested in this. Some pretty cool models. Dashel Dashel Haus Haus

I ended up printing the free mini from this set! It's really nice, although I didn't get in on the kickstarter because I'm already backlogged hah.

Amazon mini and the current status of the Dwarven army

20191016_193344.jpg

20191027_211447.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I don’t know if you’re really into doing it all yourself or not but I can vouch for this guys products. I’ve bought some tufts, flock, and flowers from them and they make some good stuff. They released these new pastes recently.

91F21D41-D225-4323-BB25-2483116E5970.jpeg

• 3Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don’t know if you’re really into doing it all yourself or not but I can vouch for this guys products. I’ve bought some tufts, flock, and flowers from them and they make some good stuff. They released these new pastes recently.

View attachment 228705
I just made my own batch of this type of stuff. will post results later, and if it worked a recipe.

• 1Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, so I think my diy ghetto texture paste kinda worked.

IMG_20191030_181851.jpg

Obviously it needs a bit of work. I think the lighter colored spots are where I applied it thinner than the center, but it all feels the same.

This was also done with very not optimal tools. I used a takeout container from the previous night to mix it and a disposable chopstick to spread, so I'm pretty sure it's not evenly applied.

The formula I used was 1:1 pva to paint and baking soda for the rough texture. Added soda until it was the consistency of brownie mix then applied. Took about 3 hours to set. Tomorrow I'm going to get some real tools for spreading and try again but this will be ok after a prime and paint, which I intended to do anyway.

• 3Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just tried a new base myself. I'll post a pic of that also, but here is the latest from the Dwarves. Up to 6 now!

20191030_164640.jpg

icon bearer.jpg

And the base is red paint on the bottom, and Citadel's Agrellan Earth on top to form the cracked look / lava underneath. I may do this on the dwarves but still not sure.

20191030_202912.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users