Miniature Painting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I've got one of these coming from it's motherland.

Hands Free Headband Magnifying Glass, USB Charging Head Magnifier with LED Light Jewelry Craft Watch Hobby 5 Lenses 1.0X 1.5X 2.0X 2.5X 3.5X (Upgraded Version)
Still need to look into getting some glasses though.

Ah yeah definitely get glasses first. Magnifying isn’t going to help poor vision. I last until I was 35 or 36 before I had to get some. I really hate wearing them but I really only need it for painting, reading, or if I’m on a computer (all day at work).

I suggest getting an exam and get your prescription from your eye doctor (Dont forget to ask for Ocular Distance measurement it’s quick and free but they generally don’t give you the info on the prescription) then just order glasses from Zenni.com. They have a lot of options starting from like $8. Eye Doctor offices glasses start at like $300. Prescription sunglasses are a pretty significant upgrade to quality of life too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
Yea its about 2k to get an army that size painted. I picked the color scheme. I got a slight discount because a big convention happened and they weren't able to complete my stuff in time.

I dropped the army off with them in person while i was home visiting North Carolina. it looked like they had 3 guys in their studio i got to see a lot of works in progress, it was pretty amazing to see that many beautiful models. Once they got the army primed they did the rest of it in about 3-4 days.

its ridiculously expensive but i had some extra money to blow so i splurged.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Ought to be some chinese sweatshop that would paint for a fraction.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
ive found with painters unless you know someone you get what you pay for. I have a few armies that were painted by smaller studios, and i have some Legion models i got done by Jolly Roger Studio's in Poland. Dark bunny is pretty comparable to JRS, JRS is a little more crisp but you lose your ass in shipping to Poland.

i also recommend Drekar Drekar Miniature Commissions they are out of germany so shipping may be an issue but their prices are about 1/3rd of JRS and Dark Bunny.

legion1GROUP.jpg

legionGROUP.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well alright then. I went and primed a mini with my airbrush! Two actually. A test and a Warg I'm looking to paint. I'm very happy with the result! I got a couple of quick tips from some people in a group I'm in, but all in all very easy to do. Next step is to let it dry and zenithal with some white!

prime 1.jpg
prime 2.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well alright then. I went and primed a mini with my airbrush! Two actually. A test and a Warg I'm looking to paint. I'm very happy with the result! I got a couple of quick tips from some people in a group I'm in, but all in all very easy to do. Next step is to let it dry and zenithal with some white!

View attachment 225605View attachment 225606
What primer are you running in it? Wish I had a space to airbrush stuff.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
The Vallejo primers are my go to, you can brush them on too with no issue just takes longer.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
What primer are you running in it? Wish I had a space to airbrush stuff.

Yah Vallejo Surface primer. I did 2 drops of Airbrush thinner, 15 drops primer and a drop of the Flow Improver. Mix it in the cup and spray away! The space I have it set up is pretty small. I'll take a shot of it

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Airbrush Spray booth . The desk is 30" wide and 15" deep.
20191005_163123.jpg

20191005_212927.jpg

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Airbrush Spray booth . The desk is 30" wide and 15" deep.
View attachment 225627
View attachment 225628

I wouldn’t zenithal with white on black. Use the Ghost Grey primer from Vallejo instead. The white looks funky/splotchy on top of black, the grey is enough contrast and smoother transition without the splotchy and looks much better. If you want to push the effect further, do the white after the grey, but at a much higher angle so it’s only really hitting the grey.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I chuckled at this guys 40K~ish Trump figure (Abaddon...or Abad-Don)

A fan of Trump he is not

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
More priming done! The warg in back has the ghost grey over the initial black. So far so good.

20191006_115231.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn nice! That's a great paint rack and lots of storage. Perfect. Even a kettlebell to smash the mini's you don't like.

Newbie question, what is that mat called? I see so many people with one. Is it just something easy to clean up paint on?

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Wow thats a nice set up there!

Dashel I don't know what its called other than a 'cutting mat' but I bought mine at a local Hobby Town USA. But i am pretty sure I have seen it in Hobby Lobbys too. You could probably find it on Amazon if you just searched like... 'hobby cutting mat' or something similar.

• 1Like