Miniature Painting

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll post some pictures later or at some point, but yesterday I went ahead and primed another 9 Stormcast. I gave a bunch of them a spray of the Citadel Retributor Armour that comes in a rattle can. I have to say, it does the job. Over priced for a rattle can, but effective. I did prime them first with black Stynlrez using my airbrush. It came much better that way than just straight on the plastic.

I also ordered my Slaves to Darkness Start Collecting which I'm super excited about! They look sick. Got the eternal spell things too which looked fantastic. So I'll have my Dwarf army, my Stormcast Army and then they'll vs the Chaos bros. Plan is to add some more Chaos dudes so they can face off on my display table.

StD set.png

StD SPells.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Dude you're getting really good at OSL. Are you just now learning it or have you been doing it a while? Seems like you've got it down !
I have yet to attempt it.

I have been doing it this way for a while. I’m pretty sure I’m not even doing it correctly, I came up with the way I do it on my own, I haven’t watch anything on how you’re really supposed to do it. I’m actually using shading paint (it was all I had on hand when I first attempted it) and using it to tint areas where I think the light would be hitting.

It looks good in pics and on the table so I haven’t bothered altering what I’m doing yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
These kingdom death models are some really grotesquely cool looking stuff. The depth you got going on with the bleached bone looks great. What colors from which paint range did you use?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
These kingdom death models are some really grotesquely cool looking stuff. The depth you got going on with the bleached bone looks great. What colors from which paint range did you use?

Thanks. These recent ones are from Tainted Grail. The Kingdom Death models I am doing in a similar style but different color schemes. The Menhir above is a Stynylrez neutral primer from Badger, then wash with Citadel Seraphim Sepia, then light drybrush and picking out highlights with Citadel Ushabti Bone which is similar to the primer color.

The two on the left are Tainted Grail, the right is Kingdom Death.

BAF0E1BD-33FF-413F-9605-A15B69467AAE.jpeg

• 4Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just wanted to take a second to say, Nolzur's Kobold miniatures are some of the most horrific pieces of shit I've ever tried to paint.

That is all.

• 2Like
  • 2Worf

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
What's the problem you are having with them? I was thinking of picking up 3 of them but never did. Now I'm curious

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
What's the problem you are having with them? I was thinking of picking up 3 of them but never did. Now I'm curious
Flashing, 2 of the same model can have mould lines in different places, the primer on them is terrible. Aside from this they are alright, it's just tedious.

maskedmelon

Orator of Superfluous Nothings
ive found with painters unless you know someone you get what you pay for. I have a few armies that were painted by smaller studios, and i have some Legion models i got done by Jolly Roger Studio's in Poland. Dark bunny is pretty comparable to JRS, JRS is a little more crisp but you lose your ass in shipping to Poland.

i also recommend Drekar Drekar Miniature Commissions they are out of germany so shipping may be an issue but their prices are about 1/3rd of JRS and Dark Bunny.

View attachment 225345

View attachment 225346

these are so damn cool. i bought a bunch of miniatures and paints at one point because I’d thought it might be something fun to get into, but I learned I don’t have the patience for an iterative process like that. been thinking about giving it another go recently, but also cool to know that there are professional studios out there.

all the rest of y’all’s homegrown work is fantastic too, my dudes. I admire the dedication!

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So it's story time with uncle mark.

So about 15yrs ago I bought the gw big paint set of like 58 paints or whatever it was. I've used them all here and there. Then about 6yrs ago life got in the way. 4 new jobs, 2 new houses, 2 new kids blah blah blah.

So the other day I finally got all the paint out and they were all dried up. Only 4 of them were solid rubber. All the rest had evaporated slowly after settling. So much so, that what was left was a pasty crumble. Some when a tired were almost powder like. It's like once the medium that had separated dried out it was just pigment left.

So 15 drops of flow improver and 5 big squares from a water bottle bottle, plus a steel ball bearing adjitator and they are like brand new again. Mind you I've got a vortex mixer. Shaking by hand isn't even an option with this pasty mixture.

So don't count your old paints out.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So it's story time with uncle mark.

So about 15yrs ago I bought the gw big paint set of like 58 paints or whatever it was. I've used them all here and there. Then about 6yrs ago life got in the way. 4 new jobs, 2 new houses, 2 new kids blah blah blah.

So the other day I finally got all the paint out and they were all dried up. Only 4 of them were solid rubber. All the rest had evaporated slowly after settling. So much so, that what was left was a pasty crumble. Some when a tired were almost powder like. It's like once the medium that had separated dried out it was just pigment left.

So 15 drops of flow improver and 5 big squares from a water bottle bottle, plus a steel ball bearing adjitator and they are like brand new again. Mind you I've got a vortex mixer. Shaking by hand isn't even an option with this pasty mixture.

So don't count your old paints out.

Nice! That is really good to hear. Second time this week I've heard of a vortex mixer. I'll have to look them up.
I'm also seeing a lot of people transfer their paint to dropper bottles from those citadel pots. I'm not sure if I'm up for that hah. I see the value though.

Here's a WIP shot from my Stormcast bros. That new Chaos Slaves to Darkness set will be here pretty soon!

20191216_195634.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Yes my wife was login at me weird when I was looking at nail polish shakers too. The up side to the vortex mixer is it swirls the paint as opposed to shaking it so it doesn't add air bubbles. This thing also weighs like 14lbs. It's moderately industrial. But holy crap worth it. Saves my wrist and 5sec fully mixed. My buddy uses army painter paints. He tied mixing some on my mixer and was shocked how well it worked. Apparently army painter paint needs to be mixed a lot.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want to thank everyone in this thread for posting and getting me motivated to keep painting. I haven't painted in about 6 months due to life, but this thread keeps me going!

I have been very spoiled painting Infinity models these last few years. Also, I hate painting black.

6m6biuY.jpg"

XR10jAH.jpg"

5rFgn2T.jpg"

1BVmW3h.jpg"

mFPI93z.jpg"

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users