Miniature Painting

Maul

Dental Dammer
Have you painted before? These were pretty simple and I’d recommend this method to beginners.

Prime with a tan color, wash with nuln oil, drybrush where needed with a similar tan color. That’s it, unless you want to add small glow spots, then just paint it on with a small brush. Seal with testors dull.

Here is step one and two, prime and wash. This is very simple and you could stop here (and seal it) and it would look good on the table.

View attachment 242615
I've never painted before! Well aside from one or two space marines in 1989! I have a ton of minis that need painting, tainted grail ones look great washed so I think that's a pretty good place for me to start. The ones you have done look awesome!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have begun construction of the Chaos army!

chaos 2.jpg

• 7Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 7 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hah yeah I've managed to draw blood myself with this hobby. Battle scars.
Yep these dudes are awesome. Love the poses on them. I need to take better pictures, the highlights don't show very well. Or maybe I need to make them bolder.
Either way off and running!

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
So I finally got my whole desk together. All I gotta do is cut and glue on the front panel of my styrene holder.
20200116_171008.jpg

• 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Damn that looks great B bigmark268 . You even have the EQ boxes on the side..... got me right in the nostalgia bone. Well done.

• 1Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Getting a friend ready for my Chaos Warrior. Do you guys like the red spikes or these brass/gold spikes better on the armor? He is WIP but the one with red is pretty much done. I was also thinking maybe adding some highlights on the red spikes might improve them.

20200116_215110.jpg

CW 1 back front.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Getting a friend ready for my Chaos Warrior. Do you guys like the red spikes or these brass/gold spikes better on the armor? He is WIP but the one with red is pretty much done. I was also thinking maybe adding some highlights on the red spikes might improve them.

View attachment 243944

View attachment 243945

I think they both look good. Mix it up and have both? Military guys are individuals, makes sense they’d each have their preferences~

• 1Truth!

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yah glad you said that. There's clearly enough tying them together that they don't need identical details. The big black armor and horns are enough.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know I can go a bit more on each, but I like to put a simple base and paint the rim right around this point. Then go back and touch up, highlight a bit more etc.
Friends:
Friends of Chaos 1.jpg
Friends of Chaos 2.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Husband and his coworker run a DnD club where they teach and husband wanted to get the coworker an owl bear mini since they were fighting one and they didn’t have a mini for it. They already killed the thing, but he figured he can get him one as a late Christmas present or something. I did it all in a couple hours tonight and I’m actually really damn happy with this thing. Now I don’t want to give him up! My only complaint really is I only had one shade of purple and it’s extra dark with the wash on it so it’s hard to tell that the edge feathers on the arm are black. Guess I’ll have to buy and paint another one, though. He’s cool.

483F062A-2CE6-4F11-836E-6F67C3C769A4.jpegC9706F30-A054-41F5-AFAE-4B836F557307.jpeg00187120-5A4C-420E-8EF9-475DB4447D2D.jpeg58730BB7-2783-4374-9095-C67AA235D207.jpeg

• 5Like

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Husband and his coworker run a DnD club where they teach and husband wanted to get the coworker an owl bear mini since they were fighting one and they didn’t have a mini for it. They already killed the thing, but he figured he can get him one as a late Christmas present or something. I did it all in a couple hours tonight and I’m actually really damn happy with this thing. Now I don’t want to give him up! My only complaint really is I only had one shade of purple and it’s extra dark with the wash on it so it’s hard to tell that the edge feathers on the arm are black. Guess I’ll have to buy and paint another one, though. He’s cool.

View attachment 244363View attachment 244364View attachment 244365View attachment 244366
I dunno, looks good the way it is. Maybe you could pick up some of those highlights in the feathers and that will help to show a differentiation in the colors. Looks great though.

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Koush, that owl bear looks great. If ya get abother one you can always try a more aggressive color scheme that makes that makes those shifts in color pop more. Also you can try to do a heavy dry brush of a midtone. Then do edge high lighting on the feathers edges for some super depth.

Side note. I saw this last night and am suuuuper jelly of you UK folks. Getting premium give you like $400 worth of stuff for $40. It's uncanny.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Koush, that owl bear looks great. If ya get abother one you can always try a more aggressive color scheme that makes that makes those shifts in color pop more. Also you can try to do a heavy dry brush of a midtone. Then do edge high lighting on the feathers edges for some super depth.

Side note. I saw this last night and am suuuuper jelly of you UK folks. Getting premium give you like $400 worth of stuff for $40. It's uncanny.
Man, if I knew anyone in the UK I'd be all over that. I guess they're clearing out all of their age of sigmar stuff to make room for the return of Warhammer fantasy battle.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Nice owl bear Koushirou Koushirou . Like other said, I’d just take the base purple you used and pick out highlights or drybrush to make the details pop with contrast. That’s all I do to bring out the highlights in the Tainted Grail figures I’ve been posting lately. Base/wash and they are very dark but as soon as I hit a light drybrush with the base color the details come out like crazy.

Anyways haven’t painted in a couple weeks, been getting into a few video games and 3D printing. knocked one out today, have seven more in this set to go then I think I’m going to do some Heroquest figures to do some full color stuff again.
CB3A3A74-DAD0-43AE-AD43-0C2ADA6468E6.jpegB10B3058-6164-4CE5-9A9E-EB6013A11151.jpeg
B0CB4358-79AA-452D-8453-B256CE82A8D4.jpeg

• 5Like

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nice job mini-bros. Love the OSL on those models Hateyou Hateyou . I dig the purple on that owlbear Koushirou Koushirou . I'm trying to use some purple in my Chaos army now.
Really good job on Venom Rengak Rengak ! His tongue came out awesome. I like the blue highlights too. Nice work.

• 1Like

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Ohh Rengak, you got marvel crisis protocol box or whatever it's called? Venom looks great! The muscle shading looks spot on and that tongue looks gross lol. Saw a dude that used some Vallejo water effects and silicon gel balls to do drool droplets. I'm picturing that here now lol.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah that's the Marvel Crisis Protocol Venom. He was just released this weekend. The tongue was the easiest part! Black undercoat, Warlord Purple base, drybrush Squid Pink on top of it. The only real trick is to not get a full purple coat in the grooves of the tongue. I use the Artis Opus drybrushes, but any makeup brush will work. The models base is done by dry brushing as well.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that's the Marvel Crisis Protocol Venom. He was just released this weekend. The tongue was the easiest part! Black undercoat, Warlord Purple base, drybrush Squid Pink on top of it. The only real trick is to not get a full purple coat in the grooves of the tongue. I use the Artis Opus drybrushes, but any makeup brush will work. The models base is done by dry brushing as well.

What do you think of the Opus drybrushes? I’m curious what a $20 brush can do vs. an $0.89 brush with dry brushing. I made a comment “that seems expensive for dry brushing” on Richard Gray’s IG and him and some other guy ended up in an argument about it ><. The people that usually go gaga over nice brushes were pretty reserved when it came to the drybrush set.

I’m no pro, I just don’t see how dry brushing could be improved at my level. Maybe there is at a higher level, just curious what you thought.